How to Make a Pearl Necklace.

Knotty, I always find it fascinating that every one recomends waxing
the thread, even when I was using silk I never waxed and I never had a problem.

I used silk for about six years, then through necessity not choice at the time I switched to kaygee thread - this turned out to be a blessing in disguise as the Kaygee thread proved to be superior for me, and I use it to this day.

Mary, I use the butchers knot(left over right) most recomend the surgeon's knot, I find this rather bulky. I also finish off the knot with clear nail varnish. Super glue is really harsh and detrimental to both the pearl and the thread.

waimeamomi, I reckon you are trying too hard! leave it for a while and then come back and try again its amazing how a break can relieve a problem.

Bernadette - Thank you again. You always have a different perspective and offer up great ideas. I had to look up butchers knot, but that definitely looks cleaner.

My question here is that by these directions you don't have free ends to work with. The needle is on one end and a pearl is on the other. Am I missing something? (would not be the first time)

Either way I am trying that butcher's knot on my next piece.

waimeamomi - I have been where you are and they are right. Take a break. Then re-read the directions and start again. I am Irish and stubborn. I have harmed many pieces and myself trying to get something to work when I am frustrated.

Last edited:
I am with you and the illustrator up until they pick up the tool. In stead, I pull it tight by pulling the two strands apart until the knot is up against the pearl. Especially, if you use professional polyamide thread such as Kaygee, or the thread Sarah uses from Japan, or spectra as in, Power Pro, the knots will be small and tidy.

Last edited:
I come across this video on YouTube, made by Rio Grande to demonstrate how to use a Tri-cord Knotter, which includes how to start and finish a strand.

Rio Grande's vid on how to use a Tri-cord Knotter on YouTube

It is the same as the instruction DVD that accompanies the basic package that I bought directly from Tri-cord's online store, with one exception.

In Tri-cord's version, they use 2 pearls to start and finish a strand, whereas in Rio Grande's vid, they use 3 pearls.

I guess threading the thread back through 3 pearls, knotting in between will be more secure than using 2 pearls, however, I am not going to ream anymore pearls manually as that is hard work!!!

DK :)

I have a tricord knotter destined for eBay because my results were so poor. The v-shaped part of the knotter kept cutting and fraying the silk! With two strands of silk or powerpro it's been pretty easy for me to do it by hand.

Have you had better luck with the pointy implement, Dkan?

Knotty, I always find it fascinating that every one recomends waxing the thread,

Hi! I'm not sure who "every one" is but I think I know who it isn't. I don't think our sponsor vendors wax their thread and the high end retailer I knotted for like you did, didn't wax either as a rule. I read on the board of people having trouble with thread becoming unruly so they give up on silk. I think that's sad. Some people don't have a problem with it.

The reason I like wax is it removes the static electricity from the thread which causes the two strands to separate and generally misbehave and it keeps me from having to use any glues or nail polishes as finishers when used with the thread zapper. I like not having to use unnatural products in my knotting.

You'll have to send me some of that kaygee so I can try it.

OK, here is sort of what I wound up with. I struggled and struggled with the clasp, forgetting that I had a double one stashed at the back of my stuff. In the end, she had me switch it for a lobster claw (thank the pearl gods that I had a good supply of high quality open jump rings). That was 2 hours wasted (literally). I've never spent so much time on something. In the end I went back to a single thread because I was running out of time, and I know how to do it. I am going to put my bent nose pliers on a pedestal, they were the most important tool I had, followed by my snippers, and my corkscrew (I think that's what finally made me do the rational thing). I learned never to tell someone you can do something on a time frame unless you really know you can do it!! In the end, whatever method works for you is probably the one you should use.
Here are the pics, unless I'm pended - nope they're there. Be kind.

Attachments

• vietak1.jpg
    vietak1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 43
  • vietak2.jpg
    vietak2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 46
Have you had better luck with the pointy implement, Dkan?

I guess so, as I have not cut a thread while using it. I have to give my hands a rest from stringing though, as all the pulling made my hands rough and a bit sore :rolleyes:

A bit of a whimp I know :p

So I am definitely keeping mine, as I have better and more consistant results with it than without :)

DK :)

Pointy implement? Do you mean an awl? Or a reamer?

Last edited:
The pointy lethal thing on the tri-cord is the awl.

I have no idea what that means. I don't do that and I don't think anyone else does it.
I know that when I post pictures, often as not, it will say "upload faild" but the pictur shows up anyway??????

It's weird, I posted the same pictures in another thread and they were "pending approval" there like they were a couple of weeks ago, and on this one they just popped up. I think it's just something in the system, and I certainly don't take it personally! At first I just thought this project was cursed, everything went wrong, so I was glad when the pics showed right up here. It's all good! :)

No calculator needed. This is knotted. If your strand is unknotted, just measure out one inch.

7 3MM = 1 inch
6 4MM = 1 inch
5 5MM = 1 inch
4 6MM = 1 inch
3 7MM = 1 inch

See the pattern? Easy to remember.

Back