How old are these Miki pearls...

See a Miki's strand necklace on e-Bay, seller states this necklace is "new without tag", however I think the pearls are yellowed already comparing with my Miki's pearls bought in 2011, therefore I suppose these pearls should have been couple of years already. I ask the seller about the years of these pearls, she answers me the necklace should be in 1980's-1990's. But how can the necklace be kept as "NEW" condition after so many years? I would like to have your idea for this. Many thanks.

Another thing is how to define "VINTAGE" for Miki's pearls? Maybe over 50 years? Any guidance for this?

Many thanks in advance for any reply.

pearl1.jpgpearl2.jpg

I suppose theoretically a necklace given to someone years ago and never worn could be new, but then why were the tags removed?

For myself, if there are no tags, I assume it is not new. Does she at least have paperwork for the pearls? Are they even real Mikis?

"Vintage" is a very loose term.

All in all, be careful. Verify before you buy.

Welcome, Maggie,

Vintage is considered roughly 20-90 years old. I'm not sure there is any way to prove this necklace is unworn, when there are no tags. Did it come with an original box? Papers?

PD asks some important questions.

There is no way to date the necklace, as far as I know, by looking at the color of the pearls.

well the necklace isn't new, its given 30-20 years old. It may be unworn but that seems really unlikely that they just had this strand sitting around for 25 years and it was never word. As well its if you're going to pay mikimoto prices make sure it has the miki clasp, box and paperwork.

Pearls look nice though.

Hi, thank you guys for sharing your idea.

There is a saying in China that "People will be getting old, and pearls will become yellow", that means pearls color will finally turn to be yellow when time pass by. That?s why I asked this question, because I think we may estimate the years of pearls by the color.

Thanks for your advices, yes the necklace is with Miki ribbon clasp(silver), inner and outer boxes, booklet and pearl cloth, please see the picture.

Untitled.jpg

This Japanese seller seems to sell Miki pearls only, and she has pretty good records. She double confirms the necklace is brand-new and unworn, actually I think clasp is brand-new, but pearls are not, however the strand looks so charming and the price is really attractive to me. In Hong Kong the same size pearls strand(6.5-7mm) sells at USD2500-3000. I bargain with her, hopefully I can get an affordable price.

I get very interesting information from this seller by the way. The little ?M? charms on most of Mikimoto strands are only for the ?new? creations after 1995, accordingly the ?old?strands or other creations do not have such charm before that era.

Thanks again for your comments, will let you guys know if I finally buy this necklace. Cheers.

If you post a pic of the clasp, I might able to give you an idea of the date of the clasp. There is no guarantee that they are the original pearls on that clasp though, unless the box and paperwork (provenance) is available.

Further to my last, I would like to put a picture here to show the difference between "modern" and "old" Miki's pearls. The 18k yellow gold stud earrings are relevant old, and the dangling white gold earrings are the new I purchased in 2011. For earrings, I understand from Miki sales, the lettering of ?Mikimoto? will be shown on the post of ?modern? ones, the old ones have nothing.

IMG_4529.jpg

Seems I am too concerned about the years of Miki?s pearls, ehehe? but I am really quite interested in this matter recently.

Basically I think the new pearls are more valuable than the old ones although some people think "modern" Miki pearls do not have the thick nacre as old ones. Personally I love both "new" and "old" akoya pearls. "New" pearls are shining, but the "old" pearls show a creamy overtone that is more mysterious and charming in my sight.

Back