How did this happen?

Thanks for answering my far-fetched questions.
I think too that it's always in the pursuit of rounds. I think the most plausible explanation for fireballs here is given by CortezPearls but if it's not that...what else? *sigh*

jshepherd said:
Pearls used as nculei... total urban ledgend. Never happened, never could happen. It is impossible...

If I'm not mistaken, I think the Strack mentioned pearls as nuclei, although perhaps not with certainty that it truly exists. I'm just curious why it could never happen. I mean, if you polish a pearl to be totally round, why can't it function the same as a shell nuclei?

Peal nuclei.... also a SSEF report round Kasumiga pearls, using drilled pearls as nucleii. Don't think the case can be counted as significant volume, just proving that somehow this can be done, technically speaking.

Gems & Gemology, May 30 2000: Freshwater Cultured "Kasumiga" Pearls, With Akoya Cultured Pearl Nuclei

"... three 40-cm-long strands consisted of approximately 40 pearls each, with diameters ranging from 9 to 13 mm. X-radiographs revealed the presence of two drill holes in each pearl at a random orientation to each other.

... half of one cultured pearl was ground away and the surface polished. The bead nucleus was covered by a very thin (0.2 mm) overgrowth of nacre, which was separated by a slight gap from a much thicker (>2 mm) layer of freshwater nacre. An energy-dispersive X-ray fluorescence analysis of the pearl's surface showed an abundance of manganese, thereby confirming the freshwater origin of the outer nacre layer."

U_731.jpg

Whether anyone else might consider this sort of thing economically sound, that is another question. Those round Kasumiga pearls were sold orders of magnitude over Chinese freshwater prices today (at leats sometime, I know of the fate of two high-end strands of rounds only).

PS. The earliest report of such pearls was in another G&G number mentioned by the article above as well: G&G Spring 1962 (pdf. download), and Fall 1960.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hailing from HK International airport...

Yes, the Kasumis did use pearls, but not freshwater. They were nucleated with drilled Akoya (perfect round).

There are several reasons that it does not work in China. We actually asked several farmer about this do really understand.

First, economically it is not feasible. Second, pearls cannot go through the same process bead nuclei do. The shell is cut, rounded, shaped, and then tumbled in acid. This produces a perfectly smooth nucleus - like glass. A pearl cannot go through this, and if the nucleus is not pefectly smooth it will create a low grade pearl.

Akamatsu actually tried to create a nucleus from a pearl - he found it was impossible.

Now this is not to say that it was not attempted. It was, by the Shanxiahu company in 2000-2001. It was probably an experiment that many companies tried - but it did not work.

The reason this is so important is because of the big nuked-freshwater uproar of 5 years ago. Fred Ward was claiming it, as was Antionette Matlins, as was Bo Torrey, as was Lois Berger who thought she had found a pearl nuked pearl at Tucson (which was likely nothing more than a conchiolin layer separation). If you research the subject on google, you will see how far off they were.

Anyway, the plane will not wait!

jshepherd said:
Anyway, the plane will not wait!

Can't it wait a bit longer. I for one would love to hear what you have to share. :D

jshepherd said:
...the big nuked-freshwater uproar of 5 years ago. Fred Ward was claiming it, as was Antionette Matlins, as was Bo Torrey, as was Lois Berger who thought she had found a pearl nuked pearl at Tucson (which was likely nothing more than a conchiolin layer separation). If you research the subject on google, you will see how far off they were.

Looks like allot of literature alright!

'Conchiolin layer separation' gets me lost - 'bet everyone else has a couple of rattly pearls in their stash :D , just not me... yet.

Conchiolin separation looks very much like a pearl inside a pearl. The reason is simple - it is a pearl inside a pearl (think pearl peeling).

Things are set with the GIA's Gems and Gemology. The bead nuke article is going to be a feature in the Spring Issue, and we are actually writing two, but one is going to be in gem notes. Doug Fiske and I are co-authoring them together. Regarding me spilling the beans here, it will be at the same time. That was my only condition.

Anymore on the fireball story? It's like the best reality show ever!

Doug Fiske and I are finishing the FW feature article for Gems and Gemology this weekend. We start the smaller akoya article next week. The next G&G comes out this Summer. I cannot (unfortunately) give the full details on the fireballs until the article is published, but the deal we made is that I can publish a second article here on the same day.

There are 2 really big points in the FW article. One has astounded me even more than the true story behind the fireballs. It will all be here soon, I promise!

Hi Jeremy,

When you know the approximate time-frame for posting that article here, can you give us some notice? Just a week or even a few days is all I mean. Some days when I check for new posts, there are quite a few(like today) and sometimes I don't read them all. I don't want to miss it because it sounds fascinating. :D

Back