How big is too big? (A PSS problem...)

Icy, the two pairs look great! I see how you may find the 15mm a little bit too much on your ears at certain angles. It is a matter of personal preference, of course. They are gorgeous, though, and would make beautiful rings -- one for you and one for your DD when she grows up?

Thanks for the photos, icyjade! The largest size I have is a costume 12mm pair, and I was previously thinking that I wouldn't want to go much larger, but this photo has me realizing the error of my ways. The 15mm is surprisingly wearable-looking! And I love the 13 - sold on that size. They look stunning on you.

12mm
12mm faux.jpg

Actually the blue ssps aren't very buttony.

Sorry, I got the smaller button pair confused. Those 15mm look great on your ears. Wearing Lobe Wonder ear patches might lighten the load. I wear 10mm earring clutches with my big earrings to keep them up. They're giant earring backs. :)

Gemgeek: I will wear them with lobe wonder when I'm finally brave enough to wear them out. Thanks for the tip!

7thsphinx: oh yes. I hesitate to recommend 15mm rounds but 13mm buttons are definitely do-able.

Katbran: I think ear clutch is the metal thingy at the back that holds the earring to the ear? Perlas gave an example in this thread that has a good discussion of earring backs to use for large studs: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?10396-Problem-earring-setting-Any-suggestions

Here is a photo of the common shape of a gold-plated steel placed in 12.8mm Tahitian stud:

View attachment 40590

Anyway I tried on the 15mm again and I think I like them too much to return them though I really don't know when I will wear them. Did experiment a bit and I think those are definitely better looking worn with the hair down rather than tied up. And with makeup of course. =)

So I started googling about 15mm pearl studs and found these pics:

Okay, I need some help!! Angelina was seen in Germany wearing 11mm SS pearl earrings last week. This week she is wearing these other huge pearl earrings!

WHAT SIZE DO YOU THINK THE LARGER ONES ARE???? I MUST HAVE THEM!!! Are they 15mm? Or 20mm? ??? Pretty please help!!!

file.php

index.jpg
From: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?5389-ANGELINA-JOLIE-in-Stunning-Pearls!!!!!&p=83939#post83939

Jeremy thought they are 15mm...

And then dear Wendy said a few years ago...
Bigger the better. I wear some of our 14mm and 15mm ones all the time. If you like big earrings then wear big earrings, there aren't any rules (we sell down to 4mm studs too)
One point - you might think about buttons rather than rounds though, they will sit better on the ear (and be cheaper)

There you go. I'm not the only large pearl stud person around. There's Perlas, Wendy and Angelina Jolie.
I feel much better already, haha.

Icy, they are too pretty in shape and luster to return. When I first received my 14mm round Tahitians I loved them and they weren't too big for my thin lobes. It has crossed my mind to maybe dangle them someday. But when I wear them like today, I love them!!!

Someone posted a quote about big pearls, "Go Big or Go Get Some."

Yes, I believe in the ear clutch. Fire Mountain Gem Ear Nut 14k gold filled swirl. Love how it holds.
IMG_0060.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Frost Me. Your tahitians look great. N really nice ear selfie! Any tips to share on how to take nice selfies?

It was taken in a mirror. Flip the phone, so that the camera eye or back of the phone is looking at you. Then you can judge your focus and distance in your mirror. Mine turn out too big.

Pattey, that Huge Jewelry video is a riot! --had to watch it twice! I usually prefer dangles, because somehow I got the idea that being 5'1" isn't quite tall enough for large posts. But I'm really inspired by your photos, IcyJade! Very nice!

Ressurecting this thread cause I found fellow pearl lovers in Singapore! :) I came to discover the wonder of pearls last year and I recently just came back to Singapore after a 7 year stint in the US (bye bye free shipping from PP). I'm learning so much from all of you wonderful ladies in this forum and dismay at the selection of pearls in Singapore retail. Hope to discover more about pearls in Singapore and the region!! <3

I wear 12 and 13mm most days. I also bought acrylic discs to fit behind my ear then the ear clutch/nut fits on. The acrylic disc keep your earring upright on the ear and won't tip forward. 100 in a package for under $10.00 at Rio Grande. 125.jpg

Funny you should mention those acrylic discs. We found a package of them in my Mom's earring box. They really help.

I've also bought monster ear nuts. Basically, large versions of the regular earring back. I just replace the tiny ear nut with the large one. First of all, it's easier to grasp, and second, the earring sits better on my ear. However, my Mom had a lot of Omega back earrings, and I think that's what she used the discs for.

I buy ear nuts with the plastic disks attached. They are inexpensive and work well.

Back