Hong Kong March Show - anyone going or went last year? Suggestions on Tahitians?

I am totally in love with pearls and I recently got my GIA Pealrs Diploma, but I am very new to the industry. As I live in Shanghai I can easily go to Hong Kong for the March Int'l Jewellery Show, I know it is not the main one for pearls but I still think there will be a lot to learn. What are your impressions on the March exhibitions? Anyone went last year? A friend of mine asked me if I could buy a strand of Tahitian pearls for her, she trusts me but I am not sure I trust myself!! The budget might be around 800 Euros, I know it will not be possible to buy very high quality but I reckon I should still be able to get something pretty nice. I believe she likes grey, not too dark tone, if I look for grey what can I aim for for that price?
Is any of you wonderfully expert people going to be there, or might want to give me some advice? I would be delighted to meet up with fellow pearl-lovers there! I am also really interested in exploring potential job opportunities in the industry... I am in the process of figuring out how to make a move there!

Hi Silvia, I will be at the show. I don't miss either of the HK shows if I can help it. If you are going my best advice is to take your time and look around. You can get excited and buy too quickly. I always try to meet up with any of the PG family while we are there. It is customary for us Pearl Guiders to go drinking late into the evening, and the rule is that newbies buy all the drinks. (OK, I just made that part up, but I like it) Seriously, We do try to catch up when we are there. I know there are a couple others from the group attending. Nothing is organized as of yet but PM me a reminder closer to the show. I look forward to meeting other members. We usually have fun. Welcome to the group.

Hi Mike, thank you so much!

This is a really good news, I am looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the PG people who will be in HK (not so much to the paying-the-bill part :p).
I will definitely message you before the show!

Thanks again :)

Back