Hong Kong Anyone?

Peru will be amazing. Have a lovely time and hopefully all meet up in September! (Assume you didn't mean june)

Do tell us about HK this year. Been hearing that Istanbul is fast becoming the "New HK". Would love to see and compare. Haven been to HK since before the pandemic.

We are not exhibiting this time but most likely will do in September. I was just in Asia and there are major price changes. Small round strands are particularly expensive now.

We are not exhibiting this time but most likely will do in September. I was just in Asia and there are major price changes. Small round strands are particularly expensive now.
Thanks for that report! Heard the same from Mastoloni this month in Tucson.

Is anyone else going to Hong Kong? I'm so excited to be heading back after three years. I'll be posting progress on insta.
I have arrived in HK this afternoon.
Graham is coming here?
Shall we have an appointment with each other on March 1st, morning 10:00 am at the entrance of HK CEC.?
We have been exporting Akoya pearls and freshwater pearls to U.S.A.and Australia for 19 years.
Vigor

Thanks for that report! Heard the same from Mastoloni this month in Tucson.
So is this a good time to be snatching up 3mm and 4mm vintage strands at good prices? I love using these little pearls in necklaces. The younger generation seems to love these little pearls layered with gold chains. And yes, it seems YELLOW gold is fully back with them as well.

London, you don't say what type of pearl..but I have tiny blue akoya, freshwater and tahitian at prices which left me reasonably content. tahitians are almost all very dark, few of the light multis which I love. Some pearls from some vendors were high priced, but they were the ones taking stock home again so...
It was bedlam for akoyas on the first and second days. There were a lot of dyed blue akoya so watch out as they go down the chain. Very few decent blues..many silver being called blue.
I was staying in Tsim Sha Tsui so my daily commute was a trip on the Star Ferry, which I could get used to.

London, you don't say what type of pearl..but I have tiny blue akoya, freshwater and tahitian at prices which left me reasonably content. tahitians are almost all very dark, few of the light multis which I love. Some pearls from some vendors were high priced, but they were the ones taking stock home again so...
It was bedlam for akoyas on the first and second days. There were a lot of dyed blue akoya so watch out as they go down the chain. Very few decent blues..many silver being called blue.
I was staying in Tsim Sha Tsui so my daily commute was a trip on the Star Ferry, which I could get used to.
Small round freshwater have increased in price. That means any size below 7mm are being sold at higher prices than previously. I have some 2000 kilos of freshwater in stock so I am not particularly concerned! I am also told that smaller size graduated freshwater will no longer be widely made due to reduction in production of the smaller sizes needed to make these. We have a show in the UK this weekend which prevented me exhibiting in Hong Kong this year but we will be showing next March.

Small round freshwater have increased in price. That means any size below 7mm are being sold at higher prices than previously. I have some 2000 kilos of freshwater in stock so I am not particularly concerned! I am also told that smaller size graduated freshwater will no longer be widely made due to reduction in production of the smaller sizes needed to make these. We have a show in the UK this weekend which prevented me exhibiting in Hong Kong this year but we will be showing next March.
The Post COVID woes I guess. Or could it be due to the Chinese Government's decision to limit and even diminish freshwater pearl production?

Hey everyone! Im visiting HK for a week in May, and ive never been!

Im hoping to get a strand of candy colored edisons.

Any recommendations of where to shop? How much should i budget for?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hong Kong was extremely busy. Registration took more than 1 hour the day before the opening.
Never seen so many Chinese customers with big bundles of 100 usd pushing their way through to purchase at prices I never thought of.
Many Japanese wholesalers did not show up because of high cost of the Fair and low stock.
Could notice that Tahiti prices were high with limited choice of nice luster and mostly darker colors. Shortage of green color strands.
Saw Akoya's going fast in big quatities at prices a lot higher aswell for South Sea's
Fresh Waters were not much higher in prices but maybe not for the smaller sizes.

Hong Kong was extremely busy. Registration took more than 1 hour the day before the opening.
Never seen so many Chinese customers with big bundles of 100 usd pushing their way through to purchase at prices I never thought of.
Many Japanese wholesalers did not show up because of high cost of the Fair and low stock.
Could notice that Tahiti prices were high with limited choice of nice luster and mostly darker colors. Shortage of green color strands.
Saw Akoya's going fast in big quatities at prices a lot higher aswell for South Sea's
Fresh Waters were not much higher in prices but maybe not for the smaller sizes.
Thank you for the report Cees (y)
Very nice of you to update us! Many people are wondering if HK will continue being the show it is, mainly due to Geopolitical issues. Do you think India or Turkey would be the "Next HK"?

Douglas, I don't think the position of Hong Kong will change unless political issues start again.

I hope the HK continues to be one of the big ones. That being said, the organisation of the spring show just gone was once more random. The HKTDC organise this show and they gave us e cards on phones for ID which was a great plan. Then required in person verification of the photo. Hence the two hour queues the day before the show. I hate to think what the queues were like on the first morning. Not only did my verifying person not actually verify my e card but then promptly issued me with a paper ID. :rolleyes::pat:.
The Japan sitch will probably settle down by Sept. At the moment HK and Japan aren't super buddies for some reason to do with Covid I think. Flights are restricted.
But there was massive demand for akoya. I couldn't even get down the akoya aisles until the afternoon. By which time, of course, the really good stuff had gone. (another thing, stalls were crammed in, with very narrow aisles. Made browsing a matter of elbows and attitude).

I hope the HK continues to be one of the big ones. That being said, the organisation of the spring show just gone was once more random. The HKTDC organise this show and they gave us e cards on phones for ID which was a great plan. Then required in person verification of the photo. Hence the two hour queues the day before the show. I hate to think what the queues were like on the first morning. Not only did my verifying person not actually verify my e card but then promptly issued me with a paper ID. :rolleyes::pat:.
The Japan sitch will probably settle down by Sept. At the moment HK and Japan aren't super buddies for some reason to do with Covid I think. Flights are restricted.
But there was massive demand for akoya. I couldn't even get down the akoya aisles until the afternoon. By which time, of course, the really good stuff had gone. (another thing, stalls were crammed in, with very narrow aisles. Made browsing a matter of elbows and attitude).
Thank you for this update too Wendy!

Back