Hmmmm - I can't tell the difference

Katbran

I hope I manage to get the photos up...
I bought two strands of 9-11mm white round pearls to check the quality. Perfectly happy with the strands.
Then I was asked to get a strand of nice pearls for my son's girlfriend. Her Grandmother gave her some money and wanted to give them to her for a birthday present. I ordered a strand in that cost 4x as much as the others.

When they arrived I thought..okaaay..they look like the cheaper ones lol

Now, I am not great at judging pearls so I'm turning to the experts here and asking you to cast those pearly eyes over these three strands..two are the same..one is 4x as much. Do you see that much difference? I thought it would be quite noticable. Maybe it is, just not to me lol

Attachments

• white pearl stands - comparison.jpg
    white pearl stands - comparison.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 26
  • White pearl strands - comparison.jpg
    White pearl strands - comparison.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I am no expert, just offering my observation. The top strand seems to have more even luster throughout the strand, or part of the strand in the picture. Funny about the way the pearls are matched. They go from large to small to large (right picture, top strand, 4th pearl from left is smaller than the 2 next to it, 5th pearl is larger, then the 6th is smaller). This can be seen on the left picture on pearl # 6.

The bottom strand looks to have some small blemishes, especially the third pearl from the right on left picture or 2nd from right on right picture. Or is it the lighting?

Edited:

Bottom two strands - overtone throughout the strands are not even. Some pearls have rose overtone while most are silver.

Top strand: matching of overtone is much better than bottom two. Matching on sizing is off though. This doesn't seem like intentional mixing sizes randomly, especially on classic white strand, rather carelessness or poor matching skill.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. These pearls came from a legit supplier in HK and not anyone here or anyone who has posted here as far as I can tell. I just thought that there should be greater difference between the strands .. but then I wasn't sure how much that slight luster difference mattered in terms of cost.

Any more opinions on these strands ? I'm keen to learn a bit more about how to judge them from photos since that's obviously where I went wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. These pearls came from a legit supplier in HK and not anyone here or anyone who has posted here as far as I can tell. I just thought that there should be greater difference between the strands .. but then I wasn't sure how much that slight luster difference mattered in terms of cost.

Any more opinions on these strands ? I'm keen to learn a bit more about how to judge them from photos since that's obviously where I went wrong.

I don't think you went wrong at all. Did the seller say you would receive the strand in the photo? Did you see several photos of THE strand? That allows you to better evaluate blemishes, luster,color, roundness and matching. It's difficult to know if photos have been altered. If you saw in person 5 strands all graded the same, same size, etc., there would still be very subtle differences. It's just the nature of pearls.

The other thing is, recently the quality has improved over all on larger pearls, and the price set by the seller may depend somewhat on when the strands were purchased. I have a few strands of the larger pearls that I paid $100 or so for several years ago, and recently purchased almost the same quality for about $20. (Commercial grade, not AAA or anything like that.)

Are you planning to return the strand?

If it was an HK seller they have huge bags of one size and grade of pearl so you may have got a couple of good ones of the smaller ones and a low side of the grade of the bigger ones. If this is a regular supplier I would contact them and say you are disappointed with this given the price difference - send the photo. It could be an error along the line.
I would have contacted them first, to be honest. You are a business dealing with a business and should give them a chance to explain etc. As a business I would be a bit dismayed to have a problem aired on a forum before I had a chance to sort it.

:(
If it was an HK seller they have huge bags of one size and grade of pearl so you may have got a couple of good ones of the smaller ones and a low side of the grade of the bigger ones. If this is a regular supplier I would contact them and say you are disappointed with this given the price difference - send the photo. It could be an error along the line.
I would have contacted them first, to be honest. You are a business dealing with a business and should give them a chance to explain etc. As a business I would be a bit dismayed to have a problem aired on a forum before I had a chance to sort it.

I have written to them and expressed my disappointment. I know what you're saying about contacting them first but I wasn't sure if I truly had a reason to complain, that's why I came here first and it's also why I never named the supplier other than to say they are from HK and not part of this forum.

And Pattye, it's a bit live and learn. I have had several orders from this company and in each had multiple photos. This strand is something that I ordinarily wouldn't have ordered but did so at the request of a friend. For some reason I accepted the photo they sent...which in hind sight only showed the centre 2/3 of the strand...sigh... and silly me... thought they would be fine. I had to toss out 6 very oval pearls and replace them with the better and less expensive pearls. I made a real mistake in not demanding more photos...won't make that mistake again. :(

As to better photos, no can do, I had to string them as the person who was going to give them as a present is dying and needed them right away...makes this even more depressing.

Thanks for all your advice and assistance. I'll never make a decision based on one incomplete photo again!!

If the supplier can offer multiple pix of the same strand then they are a small business I'm assuming, because the big ones don't have the time or resources to do even one pic of a specific strand.
There is, unfortunately, no substitute for buying in person.

Hi Kat - I would probably go for the middle stand being the more expensive one

lustre being balanced against matched-size and imperfections ??

anyway - do tell !!

Hi Alex,
The top one is the more expensive, the bottom two were the same price. You are right, the middle strand actually was matched the best for size and shape.

The follow up to my note was an apology and an offer of a 30$ credit and a promise to be more careful in sorting the pearls next time :) So, at least it's a bit of a saving ... almost brings them down to a full retail price lol

Again, thanks to all for the opinions! Next time I want a better strand I think I'll bypass my guy and check with some of the Forum strand sellers!

Why don't you talk to Catherine or Nerida? I don't know if they do wholesale strands or not but would be worth a check.

Hi Kath! I'm late to this thread, but it was fun and a real challenge. I guess it wasn't much fun for you though :-(. Still, you did well!

I also picked the middle strand as better quality. I agree the top strand had better color match, but the center had better luster, and better symmetry.

It was good to be reminded of the big bag of pearls aspect.

As it relates to my other post, my eyes do not see a difference in the three strands and one cost 4 times the others.

If you have to minutely inspect the pearls to pick one from the other what could it matter when worn?

This is part of my struggle. I suppose it's kind of like people who can appreciate the differences between craft beers, maybe?

Back