Hi What kind of pearls are these? they are GOLDEN?

ken wonders

Hi! I still don't know what kind of pearls are these and I am quite sure that they are real because it was given by my mother. I am just concern of its color which is kinda golden, because I thought all pearls are all in same colors which is white. Pls. enlighten me, I would like to know if what kind of pearls are they, and what are their sizes, and lastly how much would it cost for such a pearl earrings. I hope these pictures would be clear enough. (the coin is a 25 centavo coin from philippines which is 20mm in size) By the way its from the "Pearl of the orient seas" PHILIPPINES. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 16628_10200919635267673_2112545916_n.jpg
    16628_10200919635267673_2112545916_n.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 25
Based on the coin being 20mm, the pearls appear to be 8mm (the one on the left) and 8.5mm (the one on the right is a little larger.)

My guess is that they are freshwater pearls. FWP come in white and in natural colors. Yours could be dyed or they could be that color naturally.

What is the metal of the post? Is it stamped 925 for silver?

They may be.

But these are the factors that made me think they are freshwaters:

• they're a little on the smaller size for SSP
• the metal color-- if I were setting golden SSP I'd use a yellow gold finding, not white, which makes me think maybe the metal is silver-- and that would be a likelier metal to use for FWP
• maybe I'm just not seeing the cup part of the finding that lies directly next to the pearl, but it looks to me like either there is no cup or it's very small-- somehow I'd expect a more secure looking finding for a valuable SSP.

I don't own any golden SSP so I am certainly no expert of any sort! But somehow the luster looks like my FWP.

But it seems Ken Wonders is in the Philippines where many golds are coming from.

Hi thanks pearl dreams and cees for replying. @pearl dreams yes there is 925 post in the silver of the pearl. What does it mean?

925 just means sterling silver. Sterling silver is 925 parts silver out of 1000 parts, the rest being alloy metal.

Does anyone put golden SSP onto silver findings? Is this done commonly in the Philippines? I don't know-- I'm asking.

They may be.

But these are the factors that made me think they are freshwaters:

• they're a little on the smaller size for SSP
• the metal color-- if I were setting golden SSP I'd use a yellow gold finding, not white, which makes me think maybe the metal is silver-- and that would be a likelier metal to use for FWP
• maybe I'm just not seeing the cup part of the finding that lies directly next to the pearl, but it looks to me like either there is no cup or it's very small-- somehow I'd expect a more secure looking finding for a valuable SSP.

I don't own any golden SSP so I am certainly no expert of any sort! But somehow the luster looks like my FWP.

Pearl Dreams has given a good analysis of why these pearls may not be GSS. I would just add a few comments. The color appears to me to be more of the brownish/peach golden shade of freshwater pearls. Many Chinese freshwater pearls are sold widely in the Philippines, and misrepresented as to their source, and much more affordable than good quality GSS. Because the freshwaters are less valuable, they are sometimes not matched as closely for shape and size as other type pearls. A well matched pair will have a higher value together than each pearl would have individually.

Ken, it's nice to have pearls with sentimental value that belonged to a family member as your Mother. The pearls have nice luster and with a head between, the size difference will not be too noticeable.

Cees, my impression of comments from forum members living in the Philippines indicate the high quality GSS aren't widely sold there because of their high cost.

I agree with pattye and Pearl Dreams, they do look like freshwater.
Here are my resones why =

(1) The setting is in silver.
(2) They are very small for ssp's, my last lot i bought had around 700 Pearls and they are all minimum (10 mm), 10 - 16 mm.
I never see GSS under 10 mm, they come normally in size of 10 - 14 mm.
(3) The gold color is lacking, they look to light for me.

Here is a Picture, of how normally my GSS looks like View attachment 28437

But your earrings are still pretty ;)

Hi, Ken.

I firmly believe that if one looks hard enough, one can find a really good deal in the Philippines.

Many of the points Pearl Dreams, Cees, David, and Pattye have brought up are valid. But in the end, we're only looking at photos. You will still be the final judge of what you have.

Here are three photos that may help in your evaluation. The pearls are all bought in the Philippines, and in one of them, I use the 25 centavo coin, as you did.

In this day shot are three undrilled golden SSPs (10.8-12mm) and a strand of dyed golden FWPs (7mm). In Greenhills, some gSSPs lean towards yellow overtones, although these gSSPs have a pink overtone. Dyed gFWPs tend to be more peach-like and orange in color. I was lucky to find a strand that closely matched the color of my gSSP.

gSSP and gFWP.jpg

Here is another daylight photo of another FWP strand, a multicolor necklace in peach, lavender, and white (8mm). In the right light, they can look golden.

multicolor peach.jpg

I took this photo tonight, using a diffused LED lamp. Same 7mm gFWP strand on the left; same 12mm gSSP in the middle above the 25-centavo coin, and the multicolor 8mm FWP strand on the right.

Night gSSP gFWP pFWP.jpg

From what I can see in your photo, your pearls are pale-coloured, leaning toward peach. Plus, their size in proportion to the coin puts them at about 7mm, like my dyed gFWPs.

From what I know of pearls markets in Manila, no one sells 7-8mm golden SSPs. Vendors would rather push 7-8mm dyed FWPs than SSPs of the same size; the ROI with the former is so much higher. Likewise, buyers would never pay good money for a small SSP. That's why Akoyas (small saltwater pearls) sell so poorly here.

But like Pattye said, your earrings are lovely. If you decide that they are FWPs, don't be disappointed. FWPs are bang for the buck; they come in all colors, shapes, and textures. They're less expensive, yet they last longer. Simply put, they are like the Philippines, more fun. Don't let pearl snobs tell you otherwise.

Own your pearls with pride.

Last edited:
Regarding their size, I measured the size of the coin as it appears on my monitor (40mm on my monitor) and the size of the pearls as they appear on the monitor (16mm and 17mm, respectively.) Then I used a simple ratio. 40 is to 20 as 16 (and 17) is to x. X is the size of the pearl. Actually one can do it in one's head-- since the coin's actual diameter in real life is half of what it appears in the photo, the pearls are also half the size they appear in the photo.

I have lots of freshwater pearls-- they are my favorites because they are solid nacre and the colors are usually natural (if you see gray or black ones, they are definitely dyed however, to imitate Tahitians.) The fact that they are so affordable is a definite plus!

By the way, that is a small size difference and not noticeable since when wearing them, they are not seen side by side.

Thanks everyone for such an informative information. I've learned many things about this thread, thanks to all who reply to my post and for sharing your knowledge about pearls.

Back