Help with this pin please!

Bluestar

Sorry for the dark pictures. We have had a shortage of sunlight here lately and I did not want to use the flash.

The pearl is beautiful I think. It looks more pinkish white in person and almost seems to glow. The only mark on the pin is the word "SILVER" in a box on the back.

What kind of pearl do you all think it may be?

Thank you! 002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg009.jpg012.jpg

The pearl appears to be a cultured freshwater from China with a lovely color and luster. That is a sweet pin.

Pretty pearl! I can't help, as I'm not an expert, but the only two pieces of jewelry I own with "silver" appearing as it does on your piece are a pin and a pendant from Japan, containing Japanese freshwater pearls (from the 1980s). Yours, however, is of a very different aesthetic. Where else is that hallmark commonly used? Do you know anything about where the piece was made? As Marianne says, it's most likely a Chinese freshwater pearl, but it would help to have some context.

your pearl more like freshwater pearl, Your pearl is beautiful, the luster is good, what size the pearl you think ?

Cute pin, and the pearl looks like CFWP to me too.

DK :)

Hi
Can I stick my pedantic nose in here....I've seen a few mentions of 'hallmark' again when someone means trademark or some sort of statement of quality.
A hallmark can on be a mark or marks applied by a specific authority to guarantee quality and type of metal
Thus my work, when over a certain weight of precious metal must, by law, go to Goldsmith's Hall in London to be assayed and then marked with various stamps including my maker's mark. Hallmarking - the marking by the learned company of Goldsmiths, has been a standard of consumer quality in England since the 14th C
the Mikimoto shell with M or something which says silver or .925 are not hallmarks. the former is a trademark and the latter is a claim or assertion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallmark
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldsmith's_Hall
end of pedantic post (sorry)

Thanks for that, Wendy. I bet we would all rather know and use the right terms for pearly things, so please don't apologize for the help. :)

Thanks for that - I'm aware it makes me sound like a pompous know all pedantic something or other but with having what is properly called a sponsor's mark myself it grates a bit.

But Wendy, things are different in the USA. My husband marks his handmade metal jewelry with his initials and the karat mark; it does not have to go to any other authority.

Last edited:
It's interesting in general....In Europe we the sellers, manufacturers etc have rules and laws about what we can do:, there are many rules and stipulations to protect the consumer...for jewellery there is stuff like Hallmarking, descriptions made by me on website must be accurate and truthful; we can't sell anything with Nickel (simplification of the rules I know); if I do a repair knotting it mustn't fail within a reasonable time; we can't do the retail price/our price /sale price stuff; I must show a full snail address on the website and I must do no quibble returns for 7 days. That's just a few off the top of my burdened head for now, never mind all the company law and tax stuff.
In the USA (correct me if I am wrong) there aren't many rules and it is up to the consumer to find their way. That doesn't mean that good businesses don't do essentially the same sort of things on returns etc, but they don't have to.
I feel a bit proud that my sponsor's mark is mine and mine alone and no one else ever has or ever will have that particular mark.( so in 500 years some antique dealer will pick up some pearl set ring and look at the mark and say, oh yes, that wendy's old cack again!)

The word "silver" is not a hallmark. Hallmarks identify more than just the metal, they also identify the maker. Anyone can mark anything silver. Having said that, I collect pins with pearls, almost all of mine marked "silver" on the back, and to my best knowledge all of them from Japan, although not marked as being from there. Even my Mikimoto clasps are marked "silver". Most of mine marked "silver" are actually sterling, but not all. Very confusing.

It's interesting in general....In Europe we the sellers, manufacturers etc have rules and laws about what we can do:, there are many rules and stipulations to protect the consumer...for jewellery there is stuff like Hallmarking, descriptions made by me on website must be accurate and truthful; we can't sell anything with Nickel (simplification of the rules I know); if I do a repair knotting it mustn't fail within a reasonable time; we can't do the retail price/our price /sale price stuff; I must show a full snail address on the website and I must do no quibble returns for 7 days. That's just a few off the top of my burdened head for now, never mind all the company law and tax stuff.
In the USA (correct me if I am wrong) there aren't many rules and it is up to the consumer to find their way. That doesn't mean that good businesses don't do essentially the same sort of things on returns etc, but they don't have to.
I feel a bit proud that my sponsor's mark is mine and mine alone and no one else ever has or ever will have that particular mark.( so in 500 years some antique dealer will pick up some pearl set ring and look at the mark and say, oh yes, that wendy's old cack again!)

I have to say, I think you're right. I have very sensitive skin, especially when it comes to earrings, so the truth is I can't wear my jewelry for very long. Even metals that are, in fact, to the letter, 925 sterling... some of them make my ears swell within an hour of putting the earrings on, because lots of them are mixed with nickel, and even if they aren't, there seems to be some other metal that causes problems for me. I buy my sterling from reputable sources if it is going to be touching my skin (esp my ears,) but even companies who deal with sterling silver every day often can't guarantee that something doesn't contain nickel. It is also something of a fashion statement, as "brighter" and "darker" sterling can be obtained by using the other small amount of metal to alter the appearance. In the end, most of my silver winds up coated with clear nail polish (cringe), but I prefer that to the alternative, which is losing my jewelry... or paying huge price increases for white gold or rhodium plating. I even tried to make my own jewelry for awhile to get around this, finding that quality findings are cheaper on their own, and had the same problem... perhaps I should be looking for European jewelry instead of US made. Oddly enough, I've had fewer problems with items that were made in China (including items I purchased when I was there myself, so I know where they came from). I have no doubt that anyone can get a 925 stamp and put it on whatever they want here. Not that everyone does, but it makes jewelry buying for the less financially endowed quite a chore sometimes, esp when you have to take off your favorite shiny after an hour or two :(

I feel Wendy's pain over the hallmark confusion. The system in Europe protects the consumer and enlightens future owners to the origin of the piece. In the US, if you put a karatage/metals mark on the jewelry, you HAVE to put a registered trademark with it - including silver. So pieces that are stamped only with silver are not manufactured in the US. If you want to know more about the US rules, check out the Jeweler's Vigilance page http://www.jvclegal.org/JVC_guide.pdf

By the way, I love love love the pin! Now you just need matching earrings. ;)

Hi Snufflepig
Yes, your solution (and your allergy problem is what led to the European Union wide regulation or law) is probably either to buy from China (where reputable makers make to comply with European rules as it is easier rather than differnetiate the markets) or India (same) or to look for fine silver (which is hallmarked differently) which is .999 silver, no additives. How do you get on with gold?
Sterling silver has to be .925 % silver with the rest unspecified which is why you are having the problem.
Incidentally, there could also be a problem with vermeil for nickel allergics in the USA as vermeil manufacturers there often put a layer of nickel between the silver and the gold - again not allowed in Europe. Chinese manufactured vermeil usuallly is okay because they make one product not two again.
The nickel regs catch things like bra wires too - not just jewellery.

Last edited:
Wendy, thanks for putting it so well. I don't wear goldtone jewelry but I seem to do okay with white gold, then again that could have to do with the rhodium plating. I'm actually thrilled to have found eBay, I can find earrings I like that are inexpensive and then swap out the wires if necessary (most wires labelled hypoallergenic tend to be fine.) Studs are a problem though. I'm really excited though because I've ordered some inexpensive pieces that are white gold or rhodium plated, and I'll test those out. I think trial and error is the best way to figure out what works. I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it but my Indian sterling does seem to be fine. And they have amazingly wonderful moonstone jewelry, great perk! Thanks ever so much for the information! Do you happen to know of, erm, a more... sophisticated coating than nail polish that I could use on some studs I already have?

PS sorry for being off topic - glad to have found an expert though, no better time to do so than while looking at shiny things!

Hi, sorry, no I don't...ssimply because I'm not personally allergic to nickel and it doesn't arise over here now anyway.
One for someone in the USA...?

Here are "pierced earring protectors" which look like little clear sleeves you put on over the posts:

http://www.amazon.com/Display-and-Fixture-Store-Protectors/dp/B007PSIOJE/ref=pd_rhf_cr_p_t_4_AXBQ

Also, silicone to paint over the posts:

http://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Shield-Protective-Silicone-Allergies/dp/B001OFV1T4/ref=pd_sbs_ac_5

I have no idea if they're any good, though.

I will have to try these! The silicone would probably be better than nail polish and I bet it won't chip either... thanks so much for these links! (time for shopping...)

Back