Help needed: Writing a Popular Science Pearl Book in Chinese

cultivator_wannabe

Hi everyone,

It has been awhile since I write a post in here. I am here to seek help for some pearl images on a book that I will be writing on. This book talks about pearls from a popular science perspective, and it is aimed at secondary and university school students rather than the adults. While it will take awhile for me to explain what I am really trying to do, one of the best things I can refer you to would be the "Billion Oyster Project" https://www.billionoysterproject.org/ that was started off by two New Yorkers over a decade ago. If you can translate that into pearls, you will probably understand one of the many things I am trying to start off here.

The first target audience will be people in Hong Kong, thus in Chinese. If the book is blessed, it will be translated into English, might be other languages, and hopefully spread to the rest of the world.

As I have been in the industry for slightly over a decade, I have been doing researches and asking questions about how the Hong Kong people perceive pearls. Hong Kong people, despite the fact that Hong Kong was (hopefully still is) one of the largest pearl trading hub in the world, there are actually a lot of people who do not know what pearls are or even the fact that we had a long history of pearling going all the way back to the Song Dynasty (~960 AD). Even though we can still find traces of histories on the Internet, the Hong Kong educational bureau already took out this valuable part of the history from the history textbooks for such a long time.

If you get a chance to compare Pearl Guide, which is totally out of the league already, the western and the Japanese literature with the Chinese literature, the modern Chinese culture doesn't have much depth of connection to this natural gemstone other than as a traditional display of riches and status. Instead of targeting to the current generation, I wish to use pearls, and hopefully with your help, to inspire our next generation with pearls in the context of sustainable development and global citizenship in mind.

While I am able to find a lot of fantastic text materials for references, my greatest challenges would actually be the beautiful images of pearls. Not just the regular SSPs, Akoya or freshwater, but those natural pearls that Hong Kong pearl industry does not have an interest on. While I can already get some from Wikipedia and attribute these images appropriately, I am also inclined to use some of your images (given that they are hi-res, good quality and fits the topic) in my book.

Without further adieu, here is a list...
- Spondylus Pearls
- Clam Pearls
- Tridacna Pearls
- Conch Pearls
- Melo Melo
- Abalone Pearls
- Scallop Pearls

... is there some other pearls I am missing?

Please remember to tell me how I should credit you in the book. For the images, please send to david.wong.ck@gmail.com. Let's talk further in the email.

Thanks!

David Wong
Pearl Cultivator and Educator

Back