hello! found these in a bag of costume jewelry

cashew

i was looking through a huge bag of costume jewelry and came across this pearl necklace. i've done all the suggested tests and they seem to be real to me. the only pearls i've ever had were fake and i'm excited to possibly have some real ones.

i have photos taken with a weak flash that shows variations in color and in overcast daylight. also one of the clasp with markings (looks like 14k and a scrolled design).

i can post higher resolution pictures if these aren't good enough, i wasn't sure if there are image size limits.

so, what do you all think i have? thanks in advance!

pearl7sm.jpgpearl9sm.jpgpearl9bsm.jpg

They pass the tooth test? (slightly gritty when rubbed together or against a tooth.)

No swirly fake "nacre" near drill holes?

They have loads of luster! I see only one blemish, on the 26th pearl from the clasp end of the strand in the first photo-- can you get a closeup of that? Most real strands will have some blemishes.

If the clasp does say 14K they are more likely to be real. Can you look at that with a loupe or get a closeup shot of the mark?

The only thing making me hesitate is that they are so very uniform. If they are real, they seem to be a very nice strand.

yes, they are gritty. i didn't notice any swirly stuff by the holes.
i think there are more blemishes that just aren't showing in the photos.
i was hoping to get some pictures in the sunlight today but the sun wouldn't come out.
anyway, here is a close up of the one i think you wanted to see and of the stamp.
it looks like it says 4k! i think the "1" in 14 may have missed.
pearlflaw.jpgpearl14k2.jpg

They look real to me! :) Looks like the whole stamp was struck off-center.

Now I'm wondering what the stones are in the clasp....

thanks pearl dreams!
i wonder about the stones too, they look like tiny diamonds... i need one of those diamond tester things!
i hope someone recognizes the maker stamp. it would be cool to know more about them.

They could also be white sapphires, or white topaz, or natural zircons, or spinels..or ...?

Question: how large are the pearls and how long is the strand?

Interesting there is no gimp/French wire finishing the thread near the clasp (usually found in better strands). The tongue of the clasp seems inordinately worn for the condition of the pearls. I might want to have the gold content tested-- certainly if you ever were to sell it.

Last edited:
my rough measurement is it's about 18" long and 1/4" pearls... (i don't know what that is in mm.)
i took some other close ups of flaws.
this one looks like a little crater
flaw1.jpg
this one looks like it's chipped
flaw2.jpg
this is the one you pointed out and the one next to it
flaw3.jpg

Back