Heirloom pearl help

Lotus99

I inherited this string of pearls from my great aunt (b. 1898 d. 1990). Unfortunately, they seem to be in fairly poor shape. She may have worn them frequently, but I'm not sure.

I'd love to know more about them (possible age, type, etc.). They pass the "tooth test" as real.

I'd also love suggestions on what to do with them. The string seems fragile, but I don't know if it would be worthwhile to have them restrung. I have other pearls I can wear, so I could potentially keep these in my jewelry box. I almost like the patina of age they have. Any opinions on that?

This is the full necklace (17 inches long) Triple strand choker $30

Picture of the largest beads, with a scale (looks to be around 7 mm) heading up to the teahouse at the Plain of Six Glaciers

Picture of the clasp (it has no markings on it)

Another picture. Note the "fracture" in the largest pearl Lake Louise

Thanks in advance for any information, help or advice. I can try to take more pictures, if you think it would help. I had a lot of problems getting the necklace in sharp focus, for some reason. I can always try again.

Given the age and graduated design they look like vintage Akoya pearls, not a heck of a lot of monetary value there but a great family keepsake nonetheless. If you do plan on wearing them at some point you may want to restring them, its fairly inexpensive and cheap insurance.

This is an interesting mixed strand. I'd like to see some closeups because there are lots of different shapes, despite being all rollers.

Certainly needs restringing.

Do restring-- it is not costly to do so and it protects you from losing the necklace if it drops off your neck due to a broken thread! It will look better cleaned and restrung as well.

Back