Haliotis Australis

Oliver

P1040702.jpg
P1040704.jpg
Haliotis Australis with natural blister pearls.I walk the beach regularly with my dog and keep an eye out for unusual shell formations. These are some of the finds, a New Zealand Paua(Abalaone) shell with a natural blister pearl formation, this species is not the one normally associated with New Zealand, Paua(Abalone) Haliotis iris is the darker greener bigger one that people know better. This one is a rarer, smaller and more white towards the pink colors.
I have only cleaned them with a toothbrush so far and will work on them in the future to get them cleaned up.
I have not found any literature of pearl formation in that species so far and welcome any input of information.

That is a beautiful specimen.. what a find! What size is it? Can you show a photo of the outside of the shell please?

I have not found any literature of pearl formation in that species so far and welcome any input of information.

Unlike most other marine mollusks which are sedentary, gastropods are highly mobile. They'll often congregate in groups and travel long distances to graze. While that's a good combination for survival it also makes them highly vulnerable to predators and parasites. Marine mammals and fishes alike target abalone as a food source. Individually, abalone are very strong. So strong on fact, even their own shells will break before they give up their grasp on the reef. This can stress the creature in numerous ways whether by breaking shells, muscular strains or herniating tissues. Polydora are a species of shell drilling worm capable of boring holes in even the thickest shells.

We cannot see the opposite side of the shells, but in the lower image I'd suspect small holes are visible opposite the blister.

I'm sorry, I read that Halitosis Australiatus and I thought your found a south sea mollusk with bad breath. My bad.

The shell is beautiful.

thanks for all the input, the blister formations are definitely caused by a parasitic worm. The traces of them are very visible will photograph the other side tomorrow. I have found so far around 20 pieces and will post some more pictures.

They certainly have a smell when I find them :p. Here a picture from the other side with traces of the parasiteP1040720.jpg

How fascinating ... and how beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us :)

Back