Good, bad or indifferent? Pearl value for money & suitability opinions required!

Zakkala

Community member
Hiya,

Well, I'm very new to the world of pearls and have just started knotting some freshies to gain some experience.

I fancy having a go at a tin cup style necklace and saw these on e-bay - thought they might do for a necklace / bracelet first endeavour, but I have no experience of keshis, so would appreciate any opinion on their value for money / whether they'd work in a tin cup style set up / whether there's enough to try a necklace / bracelet, given their size etc. Also, any input on the seller from anyone that knows them, would be appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380226803338&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Let me know your thoughts, folks - all input appreciated.

Hi Zakkala,

IMO, Agustus is a trustworthy seller, in that they give actual photos of the pearls you will receive, good measurements, and honest descriptions.

I have only purchased a few items from them in the past (22k gold), but do look at their website fairly often. I would consider them knowledgeable about pearls.

This specific strand of pearls is fairly small, I often refer to my mm gauge when considering a purchase. It takes probably 7-9 pearls for a tin cup.
If you are going to make earrings, pick those pearls out first and set aside.

This particular strand looks like good quality and pretty, go ahead and make them an offer if they suit your budget!

I second Pattye that they are a good seller, and their specialty is SS. I would agree that if you want them, make an offer and then if that doesn't work out, have patience and wait for what you want to come up on auction. I find that their fixed prices are somewhat high, and that you can do better on auction IF you have time and patience. I have been very happy with their SS keishis, but I agree with Pattye on making sure you are clear about the size of these pearls. The total length of the pearls is just over 3" with 11 pearls.

I think the pearls are a pretty good deal, but I definitely agree on the size. They will work for a tin cup, but the small pearls are really, really small, so it is going to be very dainty. That said, for what they are, it is a good deal.

Thanks everyone - I agree that they are very small, but I like the colour. Good to know people have had good experiences with the seller. I shall have a look round at their other stuff and see if there's anything else I like, and then make a decision about making an offer.

Back