Gold vs Champagne Golden South Seas

Phew! [sound of relief]

Definitely agree that the golden beads are smashing looking regardless. And from the picture they resemble some near-impossible quality for natural pearls; there was a pair posted here earlier, don't think I've seen a whole strand as yet, although they must exist somewhere). What's not to like! This speaking of looks alone, as you wrote already.

Can't say I am very familiar with the price of high end pearl imitations... the ones with natural shell nuclei and nice finish come up to a couple hundred - how many 'a couple' means depending on where you buy them. And these aren't very common, understandably.

I think you've got yourself in trouble though (joke)! :D If you ever wanted cultured pearls with natural color looking like that :eek: .... With pearls as with most precious stones for which good synthetics are available, it isn't quite fair to ask from the natural to be that perfect (although possible, and despite some features being permanently distinct etc.) - not everyone is hapy admitting that, but why not.

Happy pearl wearing!

PS. in the picture the pearl beads appear to have about the same intensity of color (if not more) as the yellow gold findings on the strand. Going from there, either cultured pearls with natural color like that or similar natural pearls are really a dream... something rare, coveted and... I believe that the quotes of the jeweler and others were quite an understatement by an order of magnitude or two.

Here's what I mean: LINK to cultured and TO NATURAL.

Just for the fun of it: these little natural ones are a type famous for being very intensely yellow - either golden or straight yellow. So intense they wouldn't look real if you didn't know they are supposed too. This forum seems to have an unusual concentration of news about 'pipi' pearls - they really are not common at all!

Hope this isn't more than you ever hoped to hear about golden pearls :eek: The color of those you posted touched a chord... :cool:

Golden Pearls

Golden Pearls

Karl-Wertzler said:
I bought this strand for my wife from a store in Chicago IL. My wife absolutely loves them!
Karl

Hi Karl,

I agree, the colour is fantastic and I most certainly would like a strand of that colour. As You were spending so much as over 700 USD I would recommend to get a look at Pearl Paradise.com, they sell REAL GOLDEN SOUTH SEA Pearls and for that price You could get a nice baroque (fri form) strand, although the colour would be a very light gold/yellow tone.

That?s just in case You want to have real pearls and not imitations, even if they are high class. Pearl Paradise has GSS as their monthly Special (I hope they still do), there the pearls are cheaper yet than normally.

Karl-Wertzler said:
I bought this strand for my wife from a store in Chicago IL. They are from Bynoe Harbour Australia and although not AAA quality (which would have cost me $25k) I did get them for under $800. The guy was very helpful and explained to me that due to the nacre thickness being only 2 years and thinner (3 to 4mm) and that the nucleated bead was made from mussel shells they were 'cultured' not naturally grown pearls. It has 14k yellow gold seamless beads and a 14k gold clasp. My wife absolutely loves them!
Karl

Well, I know you think you still got a good deal, and you know they're not real pearls but that still sounds like misrepresentation to me. Faux pearls are not the same as non-AAA quality cultured pearls. Most pearls on the market are cultured, not natural, so while it's an extra piece of information it's not really adding much to the description apart from the fact the initial irritant is not a polished mussel shell bead. A nacre thickness of 2-4 mm is not thin, and shell pearls, while still made of nacreous material overall, do not have nacre layers and do not take 2 years to culture (not sure about the rate of nacre deposition in SS shells, but I don't think it's 1-2 mm/year - that's considered quite thick). It's simply compressed powdered nacre that's molded under high pressure to desirable shapes, possibly with an external synthetic coating. I'm not sure about the specifics of the technology, but even in China they fully disclosed if it was shell pearls. US$800 for shell pearls is way overpriced, especially with the misrepresentation. Whoever sold you the pearls either does not know what shell pearls are, or is deceiving you intentionally by misleading you with words. I agree PP's Golden South Sea Baroques are much better value for money and do keep their value. Most people do prefer rounds, but if you're paying that much for shell pearls you might as well get something that's at least authentic. You won't get decently sized round GSSPs for under 5K.

Having said that, if you're happy with the purchase and your wife loves them, that's the most important thing.

Last edited:
I didn't think they still grew out pearls in Bynoe Harbour these days but you live and learn.

Not to the extent that you could quote it as a name when selling pearls but then again they look very nice in the photo and if you're happy with them, there's no reason to be unhappy.

Give me deep gold over champaigne any day.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Power of Knowledge - Thanks for your help

The Power of Knowledge - Thanks for your help

I want to thank everyone here for all their help in discussing my Gold Australian pearl strand. I just talked with the owner of Dis-GO! and he has issued me a $550 credit! Now, that's what I call customer service! I don't know any other dealer that would have done the same. And he is making corrections on his site after talking with his dealer in Australia. Thank you all sooo much...
Karl

Wow, that is fantastic. Glad you found an honest dealer. Good luck with future purchases

going back to the original question.....

although the goldens are more sought after, i just prefer the champagne color eventhough we have a lot of goldens here. with a lot of luster, the champagnes really look gorgeous.

i also like pearls with a bit of yellow (between white and champagne) because they change from white to champagne depending on lighting conditions.

these are earrings i recently purchased. still mismatched in my standards. there is a body color difference that i hope i captured in the photo. one is yellowish. the other one with fantastic orient (the one facing front is a nice white with silvery bluish pinkish tinge but looks yellow because the luster is reflecting the yellowish pearl beside it... can you see my camera in the pearl? it's black with silver around the lense.).

until i find a match... the yellowish pearl would do as they look the same when worn because of the high luster.

they are 11.4mms, near round.

Attachments

• southsea2.jpg
    southsea2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 51
Karl-Wertzler said:
I want to thank everyone here for all their help in discussing my Gold Australian pearl strand. I just talked with the owner of Dis-GO! and he has issued me a $550 credit! Now, that's what I call customer service! I don't know any other dealer that would have done the same. And he is making corrections on his site after talking with his dealer in Australia. Thank you all sooo much...
Karl

I'm impressed. If your guy's lurking, welcome!

Valeria101 said:
This forum seems to have an unusual concentration of news about 'pipi' pearls - they really are not common at all!

?in context, an individual infatuation that resulted in my presence here (and nowhere else), with no pretensions other than to share an experience and 'discovery.' That poe pipi might enjoy exposure here despite relative commercial irrelevance should be a positive indicator for forum members. (Meanwhile, we might fantasize about improving the incomes of some well-deserving Tongarevans?not to mention proper management and preservation of a disappearing treasure.)

Steve
Seattle

perlas said:
going back to the original question.....

although the goldens are more sought after, i just prefer the champagne color eventhough we have a lot of goldens here. with a lot of luster, the champagnes really look gorgeous.

Hmm, it's interesting you say that. Because I've never really liked true goldens, probably because of the yellow undertones of my skin (I'm Asian). I do however love champagne colored rounds with a rose overtone, and am likely to get first a 12-13 mm pendant and a 9-10 mm strand that's got excellent luster. Golden would just make me look too sallow. Personal choice. Works out for my pocket as well.

Whites are always a classic. The pieces in Paspaley are simply to die for. Alas, much out of my reach at the moment. I can't believe it's my first post in this thread that's actually relevant to the original question! :p

Raisondetre said:
Whites are always a classic. The pieces in Paspaley are simply to die for. Alas, much out of my reach at the moment. I can't believe it's my first post in this thread that's actually relevant to the original question! :p

Have you seen Paspaley's brochure? The rings with gemstones set in pave are so elegant.

I've attached a better photo (I'm such a picture person).
The pearls, btw, are of Australian origin.

Attachments

• southsea2.jpg
    southsea2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 43
I nicked one when I was at the boutique. Or maybe it was just the education brochure, not the catalogue. Will check it out and see if I can scan some pretty pictures this weekend. One more day to go before the work week ends.

smetzler said:
?in context, an individual infatuation that resulted in my presence here (and nowhere else), with no pretensions other than to share an experience and 'discovery.'

Speaking of discovery: I would have simply discovered these pearls right here too, if it wasn't for a now defunct Web shop peddling more or less interesting cultured Tahitian pearls and ... with less than a dozen pipi-s mixed in.

As said, that shop is dead and I have no idea where else online these pearls have any presence at all. Which is quite a shame, really... I hope you get allot more news going about golden pipi pearls :)

Quick question about 'champagne' pearls. What color is that, really? It sounds like I had it wrong all the time...

And what types of pearls show it (w/o color treatment, that is) ?

Valeria101 said:
I hope you get allot more news going about golden pipi pearls :)

It seems that Pinctada Maculata (Pipi) and Golden South Seas threads are crossing paths here, which is appropriate given the colors and poe pipi standing as the original Golden SS Pearls.

The Cooks are correct to promote their cultured pearl industry, but they would be well advised not to allow this to be at the expense of preservation and appreciation of natural poe pipi from Penryhn/Tongareva?for their rare uniqueness as well as beauty and occasional round, golden perfection.

As previously posted, there will be news upon completion and 'unveiling' of the necklace Poe Io Mata Nui on the Pinctada Maculata thread, some time in early June!

Steve
Seattle

There's really not much information on the pipi pearls. Maybe it's because of the size that they do not get as much interest compared to conch and melo melos.

However, I think the pipi pearls are unique because of their color and can definitely make a good jewellery piece.

-----

Sorry for the confusion. What I actually posted was a cream pearl. Champagne is also usually defined as golden. But around here, champagne and golden is a separate color. Champagne is a distinct light yellow while golden is dark yellow or a golden yellow.

Although like the pink sapphires and red rubies, there's really no demarkation line on which is champagne and which is golden.

Since goldens fetch higher prices, the champagnes are usually dyed to make it golden. Somehow, once a yellow pearl have a green tinge, this is also a negative color (although I think the one with the green tinge is beautiful), and thus these pearls are dyed golden as well.

perlas said:
There's really not much information on the pipi pearls. Maybe it's because of the size that they do not get as much interest compared to conch and melo melos.

However, I think the pipi pearls are unique because of their color and can definitely make a good jewellery piece.

This would be best linked to 'Pinctada Maculata.' I will double post this to make sure we're reaching interested forum readers.

The 'Pinctada Maculata' thread on Pearl-Guide.com, as a compilation of sources and anecdotes, is likely the most information on the subject in one place! The thread is now popping up near the top of nearly every Google search on the subject.

Perla's observation of poe pipi jewellery application is right. They are like little diamonds?'points of light'?and a few well-placed pearls go a long way.

Vis a vis melo melo and conch, of course pipi are real nacreous pearls, but their very unavailabilty has not allowed the growth of a collector's market per se. The concept of 'critical mass' comes into play, as poe pipi do not offer commercial attractiveness for authors or merchants to devote time and resources. Besides, they may well disappear in a few years?making chapters on the subject obsolete!

As we explore continuing availability of poe pipi the dwindling supply is apparent. Local merchants are increasingly reluctant to part with the few fine pearls obtained without elaborating them into formal pieces. Here is a guideline of prices for A grade (highest) high-luster, deep golden poe pipi as loose pearls at retail in Rarotonga quoted in recent weeks. This is US dollars, and US retail equivalent would be calculated in multiples:

3.5mm baroque: $100
3.5mm round: $250
4.0mm drop: $350
5.0mm round: $600
6.2mm round: $1000

6.00mm round poe pipi is rarified atmosphere. The necklace Poe Io Mata Nui will contain 10 poe pipi over 7mm!

Steve
Seattle

Back