Going to Hong Kong for my first buy

Serenity

I'm traveling to HK this coming weekend for the International Jewellery Trade Show next week. This will be my first freshwater pearls purchase. The prospect is unbelievably exciting for me, and a little daunting too. I have a total budget of 25K with 5K reserved for findings etc.

I've spent many, many hours scouring old posts for tips and information on buying in HK. Jeremy recommends the Tsim Sha Tsui area and particularly Shanxiahu Pearl. If anyone has any advice to offer, please chime in, I'd be ever so grateful.

I'll take as many pics as they'll allow and post them upon my return.

Serenity
Today HK - tomorrow Zhuji!

Serenity - what a marvellous undertaking, and how exciting! I think you are very brave and I'm sure your trip will be an incredible experience. I'm really looking forward to hearing about it. Good luck!

Fabulous, Cheryl!!!!

Can't wait to hear all about it--and see the photos also! Hope your Tucson experience helped prepare you for the shopping!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Jeremy:
Thanks so much for your kind offer to help, but we'll just miss each other. I'll be there from the 1st until the 16th.

PG and Pattye:
Thanks for your good wishes.

Serenity

What an adventure! I can't wait to hear all about it. I'm sure it will be an incredible experience. Good Luck ;)

Serenity said:
Jeremy:
Thanks so much for your kind offer to help, but we'll just miss each other. I'll be there from the 1st until the 16th.

PG and Pattye:
Thanks for your good wishes.

Serenity

Missing each other by a day! I fly out Satruday evening. I will not be attending the show. Do you have stops mapped out in Tsim Sha Tsui pre-show?

Hi Jeremy,

The only company that I know of specifically is one you mentioned on an old post, Shanxiahu Pearl. Do you have any other recommendations? I know to avoid a company that employs a certain "Pierre", thanks to your advice.

I'll only have one day prior to the trade show (March 4-8), as I lose a day when traveling to China i.e. leave on the 1st but arrive late on the 2nd.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Have a wonderful and safe trip. I am looking forward to hearing all about your pearling adventures.:)

Just curious....... do you need business documents to get into the Hong Kong show (similar to the AGTA in Tucson)?

Regards,
Gail

Last edited by a moderator:
Serenity said:
Hi Jeremy,

The only company that I know of specifically is one you mentioned on an old post, Shanxiahu Pearl. Do you have any other recommendations? I know to avoid a company that employs a certain "Pierre", thanks to your advice.

I'll only have one day prior to the trade show (March 4-8), as I lose a day when traveling to China i.e. leave on the 1st but arrive late on the 2nd.

Cheryl

Shanxiahu is a good one, they are in Railway Plaza. Winning is good for findings as is Wai Ho Hong. There are a lot of companies in the area of Chatham, Kimberly, Mody and Nathan. Definitely stay away from Pierre at Infinity. But if you do "bump" into him at the show be sure to give him my regards and let him know why you won't be shopping with him.

going to HK Fair

going to HK Fair

Shanxiahu is a good one.

Hi Jeremy,

I'm going to HK too. I'm particularly looking for large loose keshi, and baroque pearls. I don't enjoy bargaining one bit, although I'm prepared to pay a fair price. Can you recommend a few companies, out of the hundreds who will be exhibiting, please?

Morna

PS Cheryl - maybe we can arrange to meet up for a coffee! LMK where you're staying :)

Just curious....... do you need business documents to get into the Hong Kong show (similar to the AGTA in Tucson)?

Hi Gail,

I pre-registered online last year, and I honestly don't remember what the requirements were. I've received my badge, but I'll take copies of my business licence in case it's needed.

Best,
Cheryl

First Trip to Hong Kong

First Trip to Hong Kong

Hi PGer's

I am new at posting here, I have been reading for quiet a while, and have learned a great deal. I have decided to take the plunge and get in the pearl business. After searching the net and asking all of the jewelers I know I think the best answers to my questions will probably be found here.
I recently (just last week) did the Pearl Lab at Gia Carlsbad. I asked around there, but got different answers from different people. No one from my area has ever been to Hong Kong. My main questions are about paying for purchases, I will be attending the HDK International Jewelry Show. Someone told me you have to pay in cash? I don't feel comfortable carrying large sums of cash. I have also been told that you should take possession of your purchases and bring them back with you.
What is the process for this? Pack them in the luggage? Where do you store daily purchases? What do you declare with customs? Some of the purchases I have made thus far from China mark them as beads.
I want to commend all of you; because of my knowledge gained from reading here I was on top of all of the subjects at the Pearl Lab. I was surprised at the number of people that were in the class that had not taken the Pearl Course. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darla

Some people use small wheeled carry-on type bags to put their purchases in as they go through the shows. Alternatively, you can use a laptop case, which is more discreet when you are outside of the shows. Lots of people here who have experience with Hong Kong will chime in. Good Luck! ;)

Hello Darla,

Yes, most of the trade at the HK show is in cash. USD, HKD, or GBP are acceptable. I also felt a little reluctant to both carry large (for me) volumes of cash, and also, to carry my purchases around with me.... until you realise that we are talking pearls, and most of the diamonds etc are also traded in the same way at the show. I figure that those guys are carrying heaps more than I am!! I had dinner one night with some insurance brokers who were covering some major pearl vendors, and also covering cash movement at the show - the sums of cash they were speaking of were unbelievable!

Carrying pearls etc out of both HK and China is no problem at all - there is no limit, nor legal requirement to declare, what you are carrying. Importation to your own country may be a different issue. There are different customs codes for unstrung pearls and finished jewellery - for me in Aus, that is a difference of about 5%. Check with your own customs department's website. In Australia, we need to declare all purchases, and pay sales tax, so I always use a customs broker on re-entry. I am sure the situation is different in the US.

Regarding storage of your purchases - I use the hotel's safety deposit boxes, and have never had a problem. At the show, I just use a small laptop bag as GemGeek suggests.

Some of the vendors at the show will make appointments - look around first before starting your purchasing, as quality, and stock inventory, vary greatly between the booths. It is always difficult though to determine price until you are actually ready to buy. Most vendors won't negotiate until they are sure you are serious.

Good luck. The show is great fun, a little daunting, hard work, and exhilarating! Let us know how you go!

Thanks Gem Geek and Nerida,

Do the vendors at the shows provide areas to examine merchandise?
Do I need to provide my own light source? Color contrast cloth? Should I take mm gauge? Of course, there have been some people trying to scare me, warning about pick pockets and the bait and switch tactics. Are there American based banks there? Doing online research the only one I found was Bank of America, but they didn't say wether or not they actually had a bank there. Do the bigger guys (Wan or Paspaley) take plastic? One of the instructors at GIA kept telling me to just do business with them. I am sure part of this is because they are such large contributors. I am currently in business(Ranch) and have some knowledge of how things work. I also realize that right now there are Jewelers filing chapter 11's everyday and this might not be the best time to get started, but on the other side, it sounds like vendors need to move product and I might have a chance at getting inventory to start for less. Most of the local jewelers think I'm crazy. I get this "We don't sell very many pearls" If you could see their quality and display you would know why. When I first got interested in pearls I tried to shop locally, but was very dissatisfied with what I found. On the cash issue, I keep getting warned that anything over 10,000 will flag me and they could confiscate it. I am going to make a trip to the local airport and check with TSA and the customs dept. there before I leave. And I will be carrying my State business registration papers, resale#, GIA alumni card etc.

Darla

Not sure about cash requirements on exit from the US. In Australia, you need to declare more than 10K in cash, but no limit, or legal issue with carrying more.
Check your banks, but ATM's are everywhere, and accept most cards - the fees though are a little steep. There are ATM's all through the show, as well.

I take my own gauge, but honestly, most of these businesses are huge, and run a fair operation - you might be a little more careful with some of the smaller vendors. There are places to sit and examine the goods at most booths.

Back