Genuine Biwa Pearls With Tags

pattye

Pearl Scholar
Me too. I simply can't buy any more with Buyitnow and get it paid off in time. But I love pearls with w luster like that!

Maybe I can get about 4 from you on Etsy?

Attachments

• biwas with label.jpg
    biwas with label.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 45
No no, I have no budget for these, pretty as they are! So I am very glad someone who appreciates them for what they are will have them. And we can have some permanent photos of Biwa pearls for the record, if Adeline will put up some of her excellent photography here! I have some of the Rice Krispie Biwas, bought a few years back.

These arrived when I was out of town and I finally took the pictures, Caitlin and Pattye!

Here are the 'vintage' (vintage in my book; I was a kid with my nose in Enid Blytons in the 80s) biwas from Jack. I bought 2 strands of Schoeffel Cultured Pearls 16" of cream ivory 4-4.5mm plump and lustrous genuine Biwas. And they are every bit as fabulous as in their ebay listing; I am so chuffed to finally own some.

For those who are interested, the tags read"Biwa 1712-022050 16" and someone has also handwritten "Day" on both tags. ("Day pearls?" Lol. A wild guess, anyone?)
These I assume originate from Lake Biwa in Shiga Prefecture in Honshu, Japan. Un-nucleated pearl babies.

I have tried to picture them with similar hued freshwater pearls and my observations are that the Chinese freshwater poppy seed pearls these days can really give the vintage Biwas a run for their money. See if you agree.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 38
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 50
Thanks, Pattye for the correction. Yes, tissue, not un-nucleated! Shame on me. :eek:

The biwas are most certainly in a class of their own, I am completely delighted to own them. May I add that Jack still has some Biwas for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flat-Biwa-f...fted_Artisan_Jewelry&var=&hash=item6422055093

But can I say it again, I just cannot help but marvel at how good the Chinese producers are at what they do these days.

Back