Gem Quality Freshwater Pearls?

TXPearlLV

Hi, I just joined this site and am learning a lot. I am a long time pearl lover. I have two strands of Akoya pearls (7-7.5mm) but would like a strand of larger pearls. My mom is a pearl snob and told be I don't want freshwater pearls, but I'd really like a strand of larger pearls within a certain price range that doesn't fit Akoya or SS! I've been looking at some freshwater strands on a few of the sites mentioned here on PG. I am thinking of 9.5-10mm to 11-12mm might work. My question is with AAA and gem quality. Are they round and is the luster as brilliant as Akoyas? Also when wearing them, can you tell they are freshwater?
Thanks in advance.

Hi TXPearlLV!

Freshwater pearls have come a long way; maybe your mother hasn't seen the newer ones. The Chinese have been improving their techniques and continue to do so.

That said, freshwater pearls are not 100% indistinguishable from akoyas for people who know pearls. (I suspect many people who are not pearl lovers would not be able to tell the difference, though.) Akoyas have a sharper luster than FWP, but top quality (gem) FWP are not so far behind and also have great luster. Akoyas are fully round while gem grade FWP without a bead inside are almost completely round-- they will look round to the eye when worn.

I think your reasons for choosing FWP are good ones-- you definitely can get larger pearls while spending less. If you buy from a vendor with a good return policy, they can be returned if you decide they are not all you hoped for. I would stick with gem grade though, not AAA, if you want to approximate the qualities of akoyas.

I'll add this: Communicate with the vendor you choose. Phone them and tell them which qualities are most important to you so they can pick the best strand for you.

Last edited:
I agree with Pearl Dreams, freshwater pearls can be so much better now (however there are a lot of crappy freshwater pearls too). I got a beautiful large pair of stud earrings, in metallic freshwater pearls, at a very reasonable price from one of the trusted vendors listed on this site.
Linda

The metallic freshwaters come closest to the luster of akoyas but the strands are less nearly round, generally speaking, than the gem grade freshwaters, and some are also be less white/more cream. Metallic fwp are also more scarce than gem grade fwp.

You all have confirmed what I'm thinking. I think I'll look into freshwater pearls when my birthday comes around (Nov.). Are 9.5-10mm big enough do you think?

Another option if you want the higher luster of larger size akoyas but not the price of rounds is the gorgeous baroque akoyas:
pearl paradise baroque akoya pearls

Here's their white, 18 inch, 9mm baroque akoya pearl necklace:

I have a strand of the 9.5-10mm ones and I love them! My photos:

I think we cross posted. See my post #6.

"Big enough" is a matter of personal taste. I love 9.5-10mm, but I also love the larger sizes of my baroque SSP which are considerably larger.
Why not go to a department store and try on some imitation pearls in 10mm and see if that size pleases you?

We saw a handful of strands of metallic white freshwater a few years ago at the ruckus. This lot was so great they were placed side by side with a stand of hanadama pearls to compare. I bought one and they are great.

handama Metallics and freshwater metallics

some metallic freshwater strands from pearl paradise

Those are great, LFS! Are yours 8-8.5mm?

If I'm not mistaken yours were from an earlier batch than the ones offered as a monthly special on the website later the same year, (2012) from which I bought mine. Mine are not quite that round, but they look round when worn-- or round enough for me, anyway. :)
My photos of metallic whites:

If metallic whites are what you desire, TXPearlLV, shoot Jeremy (PP) an email and tell him exactly what you would like. He'll add it to his list of things to look for. Be prepared, though, it could take a while to find them.

Last edited:
Yes, PearlDreams, Ours were purchased at the ruckus that year, just before yours I guess. Mine are 8-8.5mm, then I went back and bought two strands of the 8mm cream that came after that . This batch was in the Battle of the pearls photo.

several strands of intensely metallic freshwater pearls from pearl paradise

battle of the pearls with pearl paradise strands.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
LFS,
I remember the Battle of the Pearls thread! What a wonderful photo! And gorgeous pearls, all of them.

BritM,
The rosy overtoned ones are gem grade (Freshadama with silver rose overtones) and the blue/green overtoned ones are metallic whites. This photo was taken under a daylight spectrum lamp; the contrast would not be as great under natural light.

In this photo the larger strand are the 8-8.5mm metallic whites and the smaller are my 7.0-8.0mm Freshadamas.
This photo was taken indoors near my opened front door.

TXPearlLV,
When considering size you may also want to take a look at this thread about how much difference 1mm makes (hint: it makes more difference than you would think!) A 9.5-10.0mm strand will be about double the size (volume) and weight of your 7.0-7.5mm strands.

Last edited:
Nature is amazing. These sell themselves. I am glad we have a vendor who can supply these beauties. TexaspearlLV. If you're interested, they may be in stock. Metallic's can be ordered and then supplied when Pearl Paradise finds them while shopping if they don't have them in stock. Many of us use that option also.

So from the pics, metallics look more like akoyas right? Unfortunately I have to wait until Nov to pull the plug, but I'm truly interested in the biggest 18" strand with high luster...a question about baroque akoyas...are they not completely round? They look round in the photos.

The baroque akoyas not completely round, no. But they are fabulously iridescent! People have asked me if they are SSP because of the size.

Metallics do look more like akoyas but they do not have a bead inside and tend to be more off-round than gem grade freshwaters. Large sizes are harder to find.

I'm going to give you another website you may not have checked out; maybe SSP are not entirely out of range? http://tahitianpearls.biz/south-sea-pearl-necklace/sale-white-south-sea-pearl-necklace-wnmn.htm

I just want to say one more thing, based on reading this forum and the one on Pricescope over many years.
Think hard before buying something that isn't really what you want. It's my observation that if people feel they settled for second best, they tend to regret their purchase and wish they had kept their money and used it to save up for what they actually wanted in the first place.

Different kinds of pearls are...different! They are not interchangeable. Their luster is different, their color tone...there are many whites. Edit: I mean to say there are many shades of white.
You may wish to save up for what you actually, truly want, even if it takes longer.

Last edited:
Totally agree with PD . Save up and get what you want. It's always a mistake to settle for a second choice , especially when second choice is expensive as well.
Any pearls described as Baroque..will not be round. If ROUND is important then you need to make that clear at the time you are going to buy. You should always ask for extra photos in different lighting conditions.

In that size range I really doubt you will get metallics. You can get some Edison pearls which will be large, round, white and depending on how much you want to spend...good, very good or excellent lustre. Edison pearls or Ming Pearls are a bead nucleated Freshwater pearl and in the higher quality look quite like SS to most people. Size isn't an issue...they can be quite enormous .

Hi, I just joined this site and am learning a lot. I am a long time pearl lover. I have two strands of Akoya pearls (7-7.5mm) but would like a strand of larger pearls. My mom is a pearl snob and told be I don't want freshwater pearls, but I'd really like a strand of larger pearls within a certain price range that doesn't fit Akoya or SS! I've been looking at some freshwater strands on a few of the sites mentioned here on PG. I am thinking of 9.5-10mm to 11-12mm might work. My question is with AAA and gem quality. Are they round and is the luster as brilliant as Akoyas? Also when wearing them, can you tell they are freshwater?
Thanks in advance.

I have a strand of round metallic Edison's that is really stunning and with beautiful lustre. You can try asking one of the vendors if they can source for you from Hong Kong. Won't be that cheap but shouldn't be ssp price either. It made me seriously question myself if I still need a round ssp strand. Jury still out on that...

round metallic Edison Strand

From top:
Triple freshadama
Baroque Edison
Round metallic Edison
Off round south sea pearls
From top:  Triple freshadama  Baroque Edison  Round metallic Edison  Off round south sea pearls

Back