FW baroque 15 mm - are they nucleated?

olmander

Hi everybody,

In a nervous anticipation of my exotics I came across gorgeous earings which in my understanding should match the big ovals, as well as my already existing long beige-apricot baroque strand from VoP-Munich. The FW pearls in the earings are perfect and very large - 15x12 mm. No flat sides.

Are such big FWs always nucleated?

Olga

Beigebaroqueearings1-vi.jpg

Olmander, they are gorgeous. Love em. Want them :) Want some pink FWs just like that quality. Can't wait for my exotics to arrive. I will be going into town tomorrow and just maybe they will be waiting for me. Takes time for the post to get to Australia.

Bodecia

Olmander, they are beautiful, I absolutely love the colour, and the little diamonds set the pearls off so well, you must be very proud of these.

I know flat sides would be undesirable in earrings for obvious reasons, but I've heard it mentioned that some forum members try to avoid flat sides in necklaces as well. Are they generally regarded as unsightly then?

Nice. Very nice. The lustre's not bad either! I don't think they are nucleated.

Slraep

They are not necessarily bead-nucleated at that size. In fact, chances are they are just large tissue-nukes. 12 mm is not abnormal in an off round size. Making a pair, and a fine pair with great luster is more abnormal.

Wow, it looks like I've accidentally won a lottery :). It was love from the first sight!

I'm sure this isn't the first time I've said you have excellent taste! Those pearls look a lot like my faboo Ikechos, silky and shiny at the same time. ;)

Thank you, Blaire! Quite a compliment for such a beginner as me :).
What is Ikechos? (sorry for ignorance)

Olga,

they are lovely. I believ Ikechos are the s.c. Fireballs, that is bead- and tissunucleated pearls.

Ikecho is the name of the mussel that they grow in. Everyone has probably seen this photo before, but here they are. You'll see what I mean about the matching, except that they are enormous...

Ikechos.jpg

I'm now thinking of setting them into rose gold. ;)

How about some freshwater rounds around 13mm? Who has them?

Blaire, your Ikechos are indeed absolutely stunning! My earings are also with rose gold :)

Valeria, I do have large FW rounds 12 mm. But still not as large as 13... And those are of course not so perfect as the small ones. But still look quite impressive. Here they are:

FWwhite11121-vi.jpg

Last edited:
olmander said:
Valeria, I do have large FW rounds 12 mm. ...still look quite impressive.

They sure are impressive!

I meant... single pearls or pairs at most , not a strand ;) Now that would have definitely been a surprise - getting a strand of 13+ mm round & fine freshwater pearls to come out of the bush all of a sudden :cool:

How about some freshwater rounds around 13mm? Who has them?

At the GLDA gem show in Tucson, U.S. Pearl Co. had many pairs of button pearls in beautiful metallic colors approx. 12-13mm. Just give Mr. Peach a call. If you need the number, PM me and I'll look for the info.

Gail

Ikecho is the name of the mussel that they grow in. Everyone has probably seen this photo before, but here they are. You'll see what I mean about the matching, except that they are enormous...

Blaire, sorry for ignorance: it is first time that I hear about Ikechos. What is so special about this mussel? Is it also in China? Why does it produce such silky surface? Is it something new or did I just miss it?

Could this also be Ikecho? The glow is very different from my other FW pearls and they are large, so I have already got a suspicion that it might be some other variety or another method to produce them. Maybe just nucleated of course...

Ikecho2-vi.jpg

Hi olmander,

I don't think what you have there are Ikecho. They are just very cute and plump Chinese freshwater baroques.

Slraep

Pearlgully said:
At the GLDA gem show in Tucson, U.S. Pearl Co. had many pairs of button pearls in beautiful metallic colors approx. 12-13mm. Just give Mr. Peach a call. If you need the number, PM me and I'll look for the info.

Gail

I think I found the contact: HERE

If it wasn't for the Tucson thread and your nudge, there's nothing on that website to tell what the company really is good at! :rolleyes:

View attachment 2955

I'm now thinking of setting them into rose gold. ;)

Hi Olga and Blaire,
I check once again what there was asbout the Ikecho pearls and found posts #37 and # 38 on the thread "innovation continues in Chinese Freshwater Pearl Culture under

Pearling Industry News.
The posts are from August 17 and 18, 2007.

Fireball and Ikecho are the same pearls, Ikecho in japanese means Biwa Pearly Mussel acc. to Jeremy.

Back