Future supply of 6.5mm pearls

jshepherd

I have just returned to the US after a short trip to Asia with my son. We spent 3 days in Kobe, 3 in Guangdong, and 2 in Hong Kong. We had 3 goals, one for each stop. In Kobe we purchased a new lot of 8-9.5mm Akoyas, in Guangdong we visited several farms examining their new 6.5mm harvests, and in Hong Kong we intended to meet with a findings factory for clasps. The first two stops were successful, but we were caught in a typhoon in Hong Kong so the findings design meeting is put off until August.

This thread is to report my findings on the new and future crops of 6-6.5mm Akoya strands.

Our farm in Haian has just finished harvesting a large crop of 6-6.5mm pearls. This harvest is one of the best I have ever seen coming out of China. This is not just in terms of the individual quality of the pearls (we are accustomed to seeing pearls equivalent to their Japanese counterparts), but the consistency as well. In the past each harvest yielded only a small portion of high-quality, white round pearls. These were the exception, not the rule. I will try to attach a photo of myself examining these pearls to this post.

After examining the entire harvest I have concluded that we will be able to produce approximately 9000 strands commercial and higher, with up to 2000 strands being of high-quality, and more than 500 strands AAA (or gem-quality). This is a very large number compared to the 117 gem-strands we produced from the last 6.5-7mm harvest.

This is a snapshot of what is happening at our farm. This is not necessarily indicative of what will be available to buyers by the September show, however. This production of 6-6.5mm’s is definitely exceptional. Most farms are still harvesting larger pearls in China.

Due to the extreme lack of availability of 6-6.5mm pearls for the last two years the price has gone up dramatically. Our farm has received multiple inquiries from companies based in Hong Kong requesting our entire harvest – at a premium. Wholesalers are still scrambling to fill quotas and orders, but the production is still not high enough. But this is about to change, I feel.

While at the farm we decided to take a short trip up the coast to visit some other pearling areas. We passed through Xieling (a dying pearling ground) to visit the hundreds of nucleation sheds dotting the coast. This area, albeit once famous, is now infamous for its low-quality pearls due to over-culturing and neighboring shrimp farms. But one thing you can always count on is this area will follow the $.

Nearly every actively nucleating shed we passed one thing stuck out more than anything else – the size of the oysters and the size of the nuclei. They were nucleating 6.5’s almost exclusively. They are all trying to cash in on this shortage. I imagine it is similar in other pearling areas as well.

While this may sound welcoming to some, it may have some adverse effects. The shortage will not last long. What this means is that the farmers are going to have good reason to shorten the culturing process and remove the pearls too early. We all remember the Akoyas coming from China just a few short years ago when kilo ruled over quality. I am afraid this will happen again in the next 5-7 months. The farmers must know that by the end of an adequate culturing process the shortage will be over and the average price for 6.5’s may very well be back down to $700/kilo. Why should they wait the extra year if they can nearly get that immediately for low-commercial?

Another problem I see is that prices may go up quite rapidly for 6.5-7mm pearls. While I predict 7-7.5mm will remain relatively unchanged (the profit margin keeps production high) switching to smaller oysters and nuclei for a higher margin is definitely a winning proposition for most farmers.

Last edited:
Examining the new 6-6.5mm pearls

Examining the new 6-6.5mm pearls

In this image I am examining freshly harvested 6-6.5mm Akoya pearls at our pearl farm. They had been harvested from oysters that same morning.

Attachments

• 6.5mmharvest.jpg
    6.5mmharvest.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
So what do you suggest to those of us who need 6.5mm strands now? Should we wait for a year? Is there any way for smaller sellers to get their hands on them?

For the time being I would suggest just buying the pearls you need. If you over stock now you will probably be stuck with over-priced dead inventory over the next year. I have actually been up-selling our 6.5-7mm inventory for the past 6 months. The 6.5mm pearls have been overpriced for quite some time and it has been very difficult to sell them with any profit margin.
I would definitely not get stuck in the trap of buying the early pearls, though. These pearls will be coming out around Christmas time. You will probably not see them in the September show to any large degree, but they will definitely hit Hongqiao in Beijing and Pearl Village in Shanghai by the end of this year. They will be available for around $50 per strand wholesale I believe, but I am willing to bet the average nacre will hold around .2. 2-3 months in the safe and these strands will then be worthless.

I do think, however, it would not be a bad idea to pick up high-quality 6.5-7’s after Christmas. These will definitely go up in price over the next year.

Thank you for the info.
Your suggestion makes sense. But I do have 6.5 needs now. I am going to send you a private message if it is ok.

6.5mm Akoya Pearl Shortage

6.5mm Akoya Pearl Shortage

We've had to deal with the shortage in the 6.5mm pearls as well. This last Christmas season, we were sold out the first week with no more availability. One thing you can always do though is tell the customer you will sell them 6.5mm to 7mm pearls at the same price, or choose strands that average around 6.6mm or 6.7mm as 6.5mm strands.

Hopefully we won't have to do that any more though with the new 6.5mm harvests.

-The Pearl Outlet

For a while we were doing exactly that!

The 6.5mm strands were going as high as the 7mm. Because of that we were offering 7mm strands in place of 6.5mm to customers for the same price as the 6.5mm. It brought our margin down to basically zero for those pieces, but our customers were very happy.

I do not think 6.5mm strands will be a problem again in the next 1-2 months. We will definitely have them before Christmas and probably too many to know what to do with. We will probably put together a few designer sets, maybe use one for the next Oscar celebration or something...

Last edited:
We are heading back to Asia in approximately 2 weeks to examine and select the early harvest 6.5's! We should have a few hundred strands in stock by mid-September. I think the 6.5 shortage is finally coming to a close for us!

Jeremy

Jeremy

Now that we are passed the christmas holiday season, do you see your predictions concerning the pricing and early harvesting of Akoya in order to fulfill the 6.5 size needs coming to fruition?

We have been specializing in the 7-7.5mm and so have not felt the same crunch, but were looking at the 6.5's as they seem to move much faster among most people's customer base.

The 6.5mm shortage really ended near the end of 2004. The 2005 crop was problematic as so many crops were harvested early. The Japanese were paying top dollar for even low-commercial 6-6.5mm to fill quotas in late 2004 and early 2005, and every Akoya house in Hong Kong wanted everything they could get their hands on. Fine grade 6.5mm were slim pickings. Luckily we were able to purchase a harvest in 2004 that covered demand into early 2005.

The latest harvest, however, has been a lot more promising. The early harvest from last month (the coop I deal with) shows nacre depth similar to the average 7mm from last year. We just received our first sample batch of 120 each, 6.5mm, 7mm, and 7.5mm this last week. The 7mm and 7.5mm are very consistent, and the 6.5mm is finally consistent with the latter. A full processing will be completed by next week, so I am leaving this weekend to view and purchase during the Chinese holiday. I have a preliminary promise of 2000 hanks each size in 1st and 2nd by May.

The 8mm Chinese are still not looking good this year, so Japan will still be our primary source. 1st and 2nd tier seems to only account for less than 5%, and as such, the prices are nearly the same as the Japanese (The Japanese now only really produce 8mm and larger).

I received the first sample batch of Japanese pearls 8mm up to 9.0mm last week. The 9.0mm and larger are not looking promising again this year, but we overcompensated last Spring so it should not be a problem for us for a while. I was happy with all but the 7.5-8mm material - of these I only kept about 20%. I have decided not to go to Kobe until late February when I am attending the Suzhou Tahitian pearl auction to have a full selection to choose from.

I think the only real changes this year in China are going to be the freshwater pearls. Prices were up nearly 20% by the end of the year, and this is the year we have all been expecting a major decline in overall production. The only promising factor is that the final production is still better than years past. Price will, however, go up in all categories of freshwater - this is certain. They will rise in 2007 as well. In 2005 production was at 1,600 tons. The 2006 forecast is for only 900 tons, and 2007 may well drop to 600 tons. But, with the higher prices, so many more will jump back into the game, and the cycle continues…

Last edited:
Jeremy

Jeremy

Thanks for all the great information. I will not be able to go back to China until early April, and am not sure what I will be seeing when I arrive. Though, since the volumes I deal with are so much smaller than many of you, I don't imagine the impact is quite as signficant on our small distributorship. You mentioned that you were not happy with overall 8mm crops in China. How would you grade them based on what you saw? A-AA? Or worse? Until now, we have mostly focused on the 7-7.5mm Akoya sizes for our online business, but have had quite a few requests for the larger diameters. During the past two years, I didn't feel we could put any of the 8mm or larger pearls on our site because of quality issues, and was hoping to see some improvement this trip. We also are not anxious to pay for Japanese Akoya given our lack of any direct contacts in Japan and the resulting high prices.

Has Japan ever been able to revitalize their freshwater pearl industry, or is there simply not enough profit potential given the competition in China? Can the pollution problems at Lake Biwa not be resolved sufficient to restart that industry?

You also mentioned a Tahitian Pearl auction in Suzhou China. While I have been to Suzhou several times, I have never been able to buy Tahitians in China except through traders. To my knowledge, China has never been successful in culturing tahitian pearls down south. have they made any advances in this area in recent years?

Thanks Jeremy,

Still not thrilled with the 8mm Akoyas from China. Actually I feel that the latest Japanese harvest in this size lacked a bit over last year as well. This has cut down on our supply in general. But for the time being we are still only importing these from Japan.

Japan has no real freshwater pearl industry. I know my opinion will not be shared with all on the forum, but the struggling Kasumiga industry is the only of even minor significance.

Suzhou is merely hosting the auction (for P.O.E.), the Tahitian pearls are not from the area. Weitang is simply trying to strengthen itself as a pearl center, I feel, with Man Sang announcing a $20,000,000 investment into Zhuji.

I have decided not to attend the auction. I visited one of the companies exhibiting and found that lots were very small - targeting small buyers - too small to create strands. And pre-auction prices were already steep. I do not believe I would be interested in buying anything there. Earlier this month I secured a lot of 10,000 A (AAA) rounds at prices similar to last fall - after deciding not to attend the auction.

For those of you attending, look for nucleated freshwaters mixed with free form baroque South Sea. A sponsor is getting ready to market them. They are definitely interesting, but priced artificially high.

Back