Furuya Pearl Necklace Value

jamin63

I purchased this set of pearl jewelry at an estate sale, it came in a red velvet box. I would like to sell them, but am not having any luck getting information on them. I took them to a local jeweler but they couldn't give me any information. They feel gritty when rubbed against each other. They are quite pretty. I live in NW Wisconsin and can't seem to find anyplace to get an appraisal for pearls. Any referrals would be appreciated and would they be worth getting appraised? Thank you.
20221019_095145.jpg
20221019_095123.jpg
20221019_095112.jpg
20221019_094739.jpg
20221019_094729.jpg
View attachment 463187
20221019_094307.jpg
Screenshot_20230205-202739_eBay.jpg
20221019_094050.jpg
20221019_094032.jpg
Screenshot_20230205-202805_eBay.jpg

Those look like nice pearls to inherit! The pearl necklace is interesting for a couple of reasons...the color and the kind of "dark halo" I see around the drill-hole. It seems to me this is dye deposition. Find this interesting.

A question: do you see this darker colored halo around the drill hole or is it a photographic fluke?

If the strand has been worn over the years, the nacre could be thinner around the middle. The blue color comes from organic deposits on the nucleus after nucleation when the incision isn't healing properly. The organic matter is brown and shows through the nacre as blue when thick enough, yellowish to beige when thin.

If the strand has been worn over the years, the nacre could be thinner around the middle. The blue color comes from organic deposits on the nucleus after nucleation when the incision isn't healing properly. The organic matter is brown and shows through the nacre as blue when thick enough, yellowish to beige when thin.

Good call Jeremy @jshepherd ! Would you say these are Akoya then?

Thank you for the information.
I would like to sell these, but am having a hard time finding a local expert.
Is there someplace I could send these for appraisal?
Is their value even worth getting an appraisal?
If they are only worth $250 or less, I will probably keep them for the rare special occasion when I would wear them.
Thanks for any information.

It's not worth getting an appraisal. Have them restrung and enjoy wearing them. The brooch is nice.

Yes, they look like older akoya pearls to me. The nacre appears to be worn down. It was probably a lot more blue in years past. I agree that it's not worth an appraisal to sell them. The value wouldn't be much different from the cost of a professional appraisal.

Yes, they look like older akoya pearls to me. The nacre appears to be worn down. It was probably a lot more blue in years past. I agree that it's not worth an appraisal to sell them. The value wouldn't be much different from the cost of a professional appraisal.
Their blue coloring is still quite striking!

Back