Freshwater Pearls 24/7

Theresa

Community member
Hi! Does anyone wear freshwater pearl earrings 24/7? How do they hold up to daily wear and tear? Since they're not bead-nucleated , I figure that freshwater pearls are better choice than Akoya.

I'm debating whether I should get dangle earrings in AAA or Freshadama. After browsing dozens of photos, I still can't spot the difference between them.

I had never considered freshwater pearls until I discovered Pearl Dreams' album recently. I love her Akoyas too. I thought they were typo errors when I read 2 strands of high luster Akoya necklaces at $5 and $12 each. She's amazing!

You're right. If you will wear the pearls a lot, it would be better to get freshwater pearls. AAA pearls are quite good. Freshadamas will be almost perfect. It depends on how picky you are. If you are a perfectionist, go for the Freshadamas. But ask yourself "How closely will anyone look at my earrings?" Dangles will be easier to wear 24/7. Have fun shopping! :)

Thank you for your response, GemGeek. No wonder Freshadamas are so popular, how cool is that to have something almost perfect! I really love dangles. How many pairs of pearl dangle earrings do you owned?

I have several pairs of dangle earrings in different colors. Most are casual freshwater pearl earrings - just fishhooks and a pearl.

If you sleep and shower in your earrings, avoid ones with glue, which pretty much means studs. (sometimes the glue comes undone after many showers) I have worn lots of dangles 24/7, though. I like to glom onto one or two pieces with personal meaning and wear them out, more than switch everyday to match my outfit, though when I do wear more, I just add them to the 24/7 ones.

Right now I am wearing a huge perfect drop shape freshwater pendant Jeremy and Hisano gave me last summer. I have it on a longish chain and I do take it off to shower as it was glued to the finding.

I have ruined earrings by sleeping in them, so I don't recommend it as a rule. It could have something to do with my thrashing about! :)

I think the abrasion of sheets on pearls would cause wear over time, whatever type pearl it is.

Hi! Pattye, Caitlin and Pearl Dreams. Thanks for your responses. Yes, I'm hoping to wear them to sleep and in the shower. It looks like it's not the wisest thing to do.

Gemgeek, you've such wide collection of pearls! They're so beautiful. I like fishhook earrings too. Your designer fishhook earrings are too expensive for 24/7.*

Caitlin, your giant pearl is so unique and rare! If I were you, I won't wear it 24/7 too. I don't switch my jewelry everyday to match my outfit too. In order the facilitate my laundry, I'll wear either dark or light color outfit throughout the week(s). Hence, the idea of fwp 24/7.

Theresa, I used to wear freshwater pearl dangle earrings 24/7. I didn't take them off for months, probably 6 months or so. The changes I noticed were they turned slightly smaller (around 0.5mm less), the white color tuned a bit creamier/more yellow, but the luster also got better (Akoya-like) by time. I think freshwater pearls are the best choice if you want to wear it for 24/7.

Hi! Perlinda. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I've never thought they'll turn smaller but you're right, pearl nacre is rather... 'soft'? 0.5mm for 6 months is pretty fast. Alright, I'll give it a try! ;)

By the way, you haven't offered golden SSps in pair after you've sold the last 2 pairs. I didn't buy previously because I'm a newbie and I need to hangout here a bit longer. Would you bring them back in store again?

You're welcome Theresa :)
0.5mm is give or take since I didn't really measure it. Pearl has layers like onions, so there will be shedding over time especially the ones with prolonged use. Oh, and one more thing, my pearls changed from round to off round.. so the shedding wasn't even on the surface.

For golden pearl pair, I still have some even though they're lighter in color. I'll publish them on etsy sometime soon.

Hi! Pearlinda. If I'm getting Freshadama, I don't want them to turn off round. I guess I just have to take them off everyday.

I'll check out your Etsy site, thanks for the heads up.

How many percent of deep gold SSP is available in an average harvest? I wonder why the gold lip oysters are so rare.

Back