Freshwater or Saltwater Pearls?

Theresa

Community member
It?s not unusual for eBay sellers to mislabel their pearls intentionally but this time is different. These two strands look like freshwater pearls but are labelled as follows:
1. Cultured Saltwater Black Pearl Necklace 7.5mm to 8mm
2. Cultured Plum South Sea Pearl Necklace 10.5mm to 11mm

I had pleasant experience with them before and found them to be reliable so I wrote to the seller to clarify if there were mistakes. These pearls do have potato (egg) shape and the colours are unnatural. The seller replied that they acquired these in a jewelry store buy-out and all have their original old retail tags identifying them as either South Sea, Chinese freshwater & also cultured saltwater. They also have three graduate gemologists staff that have seen these pearls and are not suspected of the stated origin.

For educational purposes, I?m curious what they actually are.

Grey1.jpgGrey2.jpgGrey3.jpgGrey4.jpgGrey5.jpgGrey6.jpg

Plum1.jpgPlum2.jpgPlum3.jpgPlum4.jpgPlum5.jpg

They are freshwater. Without even looking at the photos I would have assumed they were based on the seller's response.

1. That is how they were described to us

2. Three gemologists looked at them

In my experience, when someone is trying to prove we are wrong and they are right, they usually claim to have gone to three jewelers and all have verified the same thing. Every time someone says this I automatically know they aren't being truthful. It's happened many times over the years. The problem is, nobody would actually do that. I've actually described it in a presentation before and called it "the BS factor of three." It applies to a lot more than just this sort of situation.

You, dear Theresa, know more about pearls that these guys AND have a sharp eye!

In my opinion, these strands are both dyed/color treated freshwater pearls. They may have come to the auction mislabeled, however that is no excuse. Having GIA degree doesn't mean they've studied pearls. The GIA course AJP (Accredited Jeweler Professional) is a very basic course focused on sales, not close to the depth of Graduate Gemologist, GG degree. (The prices on the tags are also a BIG clue that the pearls are freshwater, too low for retail Tahitians or SS.)

The AJP course covers, according to the GIA website:

"Educate your customers about the 4Cs, and how they affect diamond value

Translate design, style, and manufacturing features into compelling benefits that drive sales

Use proven sales techniques: what to say, what to ask, and how to create repeat clients

Understand karat gold and precious metals"

Lol, Jeremy & PD, I was still looking up stuff and typing, you beat me!

Last edited:
Thank you so much, Pearl Dreams, Jeremy and Pattye for your reply. It’s really disappointed they lied through their teeth. :rolleyes:

Jeremy, I’ll remember "the BS factor of three" by heart!

Pattye, I learn everything about pearls on this forum. You guys are my mentors! You’re right, Pearl Dreams also mentioned to me that they probably didn’t take the GIA pearl course. I need to read on GIA website now, they call a basic course professional…

I only see Graduate Gemologists above. In defense of the AJP, the Accredited Jewelry Professional diploma course was created to help people who staff jewelry stores learn the basics they need to sell jewelry. It is an enjoyable course and it really does cover a lot. I would recommend it to anyone who loves jewelry.

Seriously, though, even having a GG does not qualify you to judge the origin of pearls. It takes a lot of pearl evaluation by getting out and seeing what is for sale, especially at trade shows. Research is fun! ;)

I only see Graduate Gemologists above. In defense of the AJP, the Accredited Jewelry Professional diploma course was created to help people who staff jewelry stores learn the basics they need to sell jewelry. It is an enjoyable course and it really does cover a lot. I would recommend it to anyone who loves jewelry.

Seriously, though, even having a GG does not qualify you to judge the origin of pearls. It takes a lot of pearl evaluation by getting out and seeing what is for sale, especially at trade shows. Research is fun! ;)

I believe it's an enjoyable course, how many of us envious your trip to Paspaley!

It was easy to find the actual ebay auctions. In each listing it specifies that the person doing the description and photographs is Chris, AJP GIA. I should have clarified that earlier.

Pattye, you're very talented! Yes, you're right. The "plum south sea strand" was sold for US$160.50!

I figured Pattye had done some investigating! :) Unfortunately, there is a lot of deception on eBay.

Pattye the investigator! :)
Theresa, I was very lucky to go on that tour. I will never forget it.

I've actually described it in a presentation before and called it "the BS factor of three." It applies to a lot more than just this sort of situation.

Thank-you for this Jeremy! I'm storing this little tidbit away in my brain for future reference when I have arguments with my boyfriend! lol.

Those two strands look just like some lovely dyed freshwater pearls I bought not long ago. They were fabulous! But they were certainly freshwater pearls.

Back