Freshwater Barogue's - expensive?

The Pearl Outlet said:
This strand was from our site a year or more back. It was a 16.5mm South Sea strand.

Thank you.

They are lovely, I wish I had them.
Do freshwater freeform/baroque get to that size?
Or do I not know what I am talking about here! ha ha.

Darn,

Late to the party again!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

But you're always fashionable, Pattye!

Perle

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a random thought, Jeremy...

If you were the 'pair' the top SS strands announced here a while back with a similarly desirable (even if not for the same reason, or public) freshwaters, what would those be?

I have heard a gritty comment about not freshwater, but natural pearls - about the display of a pearl merchant in Dubai, who had paired relatively large & great natural pearls with SS cultured of similar value: the association was obviously splitting factions among the viewing public :D Which isn't a bad thing, is it...

... just wondering, if the eye-catching, provocative combination could not be a nice way to play up the appeal of those crazy colored pearls right there into the talk of the town. In the sense, that they need to make an appearance in the right company :)

.."but I feel they have secrets... I will tell you more about it in August"

Now, Jeremy..how could you leave us hanging like that with such a mysterious statement?

Do tell.....;)

jshepherd said:
It is possible to get them but only by selection, really. It takes a long time to pick out the pieces which have a luster intense enough to warrant no treatment. I did this recently with those exotic drops and a few exotic color pieces, but I do not believe I would ever be able to collect enough to offer them to the public.

These are all untreated.

Okay, Again you have out done yourself Jeremy! Those are absolutely lucious!

Back to daydreaming all the cool stuff I could make with pearls like that!!!!

Cheers

ASh

Last edited by a moderator:
Valeria101 said:
If you were the 'pair' the top SS strands announced here a while back with a similarly desirable (even if not for the same reason, or public) freshwaters, what would those be?

Pairing freshwater with South Sea is done now the bead nukes and rounds. But to make something truly special, I think an exotic color large would be best suited to go with large perfect SSP. Could you imagine a strand of large fresh, round, untreated, in the aforementioned coloration?

richipat said:
.."but I feel they have secrets... I will tell you more about it in August"

Now, Jeremy..how could you leave us hanging like that with such a mysterious statement?

Do tell.....;)

I may tell a bit earlier than originally anticipated. We are considering withdrawing our freshwater article from Gems and Gemology. The deal I originally had with them was that I could publish an article here at the same time. But if I pull the article from G&G completely, I can publish here at will.

jshepherd said:
Pairing freshwater with South Sea is done now the bead nukes and rounds. But to make something truly special, I think an exotic color large would be best suited to go with large perfect SSP. Could you imagine a strand of large fresh, round, untreated, in the aforementioned coloration?

Not much left to the imagination... I was lucky enough to see a strand of gem round Kasumiga pearls...

A dream freshwater strand would be no larger than exceptional natural pearls could have been (something now fresh in the collective memory of jewelry buffs everywhere, you know ), with wild colors and smashing glow left to make for 'top of the world' status. :eek: I would not be surprised to open the NYT fashion page to a bit of news like that :p

Now, I do recognize the silliness of the proposition... with sole justification that the fact that a 'match' from bead nucleated SS would not even be news-worthy is even weirder. :cool:

jshepherd said:
... if I pull the article from G&G completely, I can publish here at will.

Has GG lost its appeal as a rubber-stamp for historic pearl news? (considering the archive).

There's no saying that the significant information couldn't get here too. Since sending around copies of the GG page would not be really copyright cool :eek: If most isn't already.

Jeremy, this strand is luscious. Make something out them? I just want to fondle them. They are so pretty!!!!

jeremy,

how do you determine the pricing on your freshwater baroques? Seems kind of wacky that each string has a different price.

I believe the price is based on weight.

I thought size, lustre and matching also played a part, in spite of them all being hand-picked. I will be curious to see what Jeremy says, too.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

I think Jeremy discussed the pricing issue here:

Perle

preswine said:
jeremy,

how do you determine the pricing on your freshwater baroques? Seems kind of wacky that each string has a different price.

Wacky? Why? Because they are freshwater? If they were baroque saltwater of any variety one would expect individual pricing, right?

Each strand is different, and instead of just creating an average we approached each piece individually. Also, the sizes tell you a lot about them. With non-traditional size differentiation you can see that each strand was individually matched as a stand alone piece, not a part of a hank.

Jeremy has already posted extensively on the pricing scheme. Not sure what you mean by wacky. I find the prices to be more than fair considering the amount of labor put into it. It's not as "lucrative" as it looks, more a project for the pearl aficionados here than anything. I'm sure the original post is still in the "Guess?" thread somewhere. Too lazy to link to it.

ETA: Found the original post

Last edited:
Super Baroque

Super Baroque

In Zhuji I bought two strands of super-baroque pearls that looked like chewed gum that had an extremely high luster. I found them interesting- maybe with gold cubes in between each pearl to set off the weird shapes. I will take jewelry design classes in the Spring in Carlsbad at GIA; the teachers will either like the idea or roll their eyes. Any opinions? These aren't bumpy pearls, they are twisted and "chewed" pearls.

Back