freshwater and diamonds

It looks like some sort of animal, with the 14K stamped inside the body of the animal. Maybe a burro or llama? But I haven't found any maker's marks with that design.

To me the necklace looks like a hybrid: the eggy freshwater pearls (with a very ordinary clasp and no gimp/French wire used to cover the thread where it connects to the clasp, which would normally be used in fine necklaces) being one part and the elaborate gold and diamonds section with the large drop and the round pearls being the second part. I wonder if the gold and diamonds section was not original to the rest of the necklace-- maybe it was originally part of something else? Although they look beautiful together, the two sections don't really seem on a par with each other in quality.

I can only say that if I were designing the piece, I would want to pair the gold and diamonds section with rounder pearls, and use a fancier clasp, so that the necklace would look more uniform in quality. But I did not design it, so maybe it really was this way originally.

It would be interesting to have the gold and diamonds section x-rayed to see if there are beads inside the pearls. Do you have a friendly dentist who might do that?

I sure don't. Didn't know a dentist would do that. I will look around to see if I can find someone. You stated it may look like an animal by the 14k stamp, I thought the same thing. But I was thinking fish. For some reason it looked like a fish to me. Also, it looks like the letter "n" beside of the 14k. This thing has me all confused. My research so far has given me this info. When it was received by the original owner, it looked the way it does right now. No changes. And it was received many years ago, approximately 40-50 years. Where they were before then I have no clue. I'm still trying to learn what I can.
Thank you for all the help

It has been a while since I have posted , luckily this posting is still here because Im having trouble getting pics to upload on this tablet. I have been told that it possibly looks like an"AN" ,"AI" or maybe it could be "N" beside the 14k on back of the necklace.
Curious if anyone here may know a maker using any of those letters.
Thanks for any help.

Numbers are sometimes total diamond wt...would be .72 ct...not sure if the diamonds are that big..really can't see them well. Looks like maybe 11 dia & they can't be bigger than .05 so it really does not add up to .72...
Pearls look nice. Do see the drop is different.

That's a standard clasp so doubt makers mark goes with the necklace...just a ordinary clasp.

Italy used marks for towns.... AL, Alessandria, AN, Ancona, Still I would think if it was Italy it would be marked 585 not 14K...

Thought I saw a N (did not see AL or AN unless I missed it) but N is not much to go on...

Would be nice for a bride.

Could be a South American piece. They seem to go ornate...

Last edited:
Back