Freshadama vs Akoya for first time buyer

Cashn

Hi, I've recently decided I want to get my girlfriend a pearl necklace for Christmas. I've been doing some research and I really like the idea of freshwater pearls just because of the higher nacre percentage. From what I've read this will help contribute to the longevity of the pearls and seeing as we are fairly young (24) knowing they have a better chance of lasting would be nice. I was looking at the 7.5-8mm white freshadama 18" necklace from pearl paradise for $345. My girlfriend doesn't have a lot of jewlery and no pearls so she really won't know the difference of what I get but I want to make sure it's something special. My question is would I be better going with a smaller pearl size but Akoya pearls instead or will the freshadama get the kind of wow factor that I'm looking for? Sorry if this is a question that I am sure has been asked many times I'm just looking for a little reassurance in my first time purchase.

Thank you for your help.

Back in 2007 I bought these 7.0-8.0mm Freshadamas. (As you know, nowadays they are sold in the 7.5-8.0mm range, which means more of the pearls in the strand are larger.)

attachment.php

As you can see they are very nearly round, and quite lustrous!

Those were my first real pearls strand, and that would be a fine choice for your girlfriend. If you can swing for matching earrings at the same time, all the better.

That said, I find that nowadays I prefer the higher luster of the metallic white freshwater pearls. They really have the Wow factor for me. They are not available in the Freshadama grade, but in the AAA grade they look round when worn (a bit off-round when seen lying on the table.) The luster is to die for! Here is my thread about my metallic white strand and earrings:
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6842&highlight=

Take a look at this strand, which is in your price range: http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-2412-70-to-80-mm-metallic-white-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

7-8mm mm metallic white strand. There is a choice of grades and lengths. I recommend getting the AAA grade. PP currently has white metallic earring studs and dangles also. I have both the dangle drops and studs-- either would round out the gift beautifully.:
• studs: http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-3650-70-80-mm-metallic-white-freshwater-pearl-stud-earrings.aspx
I see the studs are available in the Freshadama grade. I got that grade and love them. Definitely worth the extra $20 for the highest grade.
• dangle drops: http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-3646-white-metallic-drop-pearl-french-wire-earrings.aspx

In my opinion, a smaller strand of AAA akoyas would not give you as much bang for your buck as either of these freshwaters.

Last edited:
Cashn, Welcome!

Agree with Pearl Dreams, go with freshwater pearls over akoya! Very lovely choices to fit your budget and delight your Sweetie. Although we do get asked this sort of question often, there is no stock answer; we take requests for advice seriously!

I would advise getting the best quality of whatever you can afford. Akoya are classic and special (AAA will be round and beautifully lustrous) -- but they cost many times more than freshwaters and are bead nucleated so over time (possibly generations, depending on wear and care) will wear out.

Metallics have terrific luster but they are off-round -- though don't appear so on the neck. If you go this route, I agree, buy matching earrings because there are so many shades of white, and spring for the extra $20 to get "freshadama" studs.

AAA or "freshadama" freshwaters are also terrific (rounder than metallics but without the sharp luster), and again, get earrings at the same time so the colors can be matched.

Another piece of advice -- if you are torn about size, buy the larger size. Many women feel "pearl shrinkage" over the decades and pieces they used to wear don't feel substantial enough years and years down the line.

All the above are beautiful options and you are a sweetie to be researching and buying them for your girlfriend. Please keep us posted -- and eventual ear/neck shots would be much appreciated and oohed and aahed over by us!

Which ever way you decide, Pearl Paradise will have options...there should be several strands to choose from in either FW or Akoya. The subtle variations in the strands can be seen in different ways...does she wear more cool tones or more warm tones? Dark colors or light colors? How about her skin tone? All of these are factors in selecting just the right strand. The staff at PP are fantastic, and I highly recommend that you call them to pick just the right one!

Back