First Day of June, the Month of the Pearl!

Oh, I wish I had your talent, MSC!

I spent my afternoon making this necklace - I am not ashamed to admit that I stole the idea off of Jersey Pearl's awesome etsy shop. I saw it and had instant inspiration. I hope you don't mind ;)

It's a 10mm silver blue Tahitian that I got from Jacques ages ago and just didn't know quite what I wanted to do with it until I saw that listing. The rondelles I used are 3-4mm sea foam chalcedony. The picture of it on me looks really washed out..the necklace is much more like the pictures of it on the bust.

Attachments

• 20170611_173418.jpg
    20170611_173418.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170611_173406.jpg
    20170611_173406.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 24
  • 20170611_173320.jpg
    20170611_173320.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 26
That came out beautifully, Lary! I never think of chalcedony, but it's such a lovely stone.

I used some extra fine bead wire and tiny gold colored crimp beads, Sanippy. The center drop I just used 26G fine silver wire and made a ball end. I thought about using gold wire but then thought, why bother if I'm eventually going to take it all apart...

Oh, I wish I had your talent, MSC!

I spent my afternoon making this necklace - I am not ashamed to admit that I stole the idea off of Jersey Pearl's awesome etsy shop. I saw it and had instant inspiration. I hope you don't mind ;)

It's a 10mm silver blue Tahitian that I got from Jacques ages ago and just didn't know quite what I wanted to do with it until I saw that listing. The rondelles I used are 3-4mm sea foam chalcedony. The picture of it on me looks really washed out..the necklace is much more like the pictures of it on the bust.
Lary, I am honored that you love the design! Your interpretation looks wonderful...sea foam chalcedony happens to be a favorite color. Yours looks fantastic. Try doing these in a few different lengths and with different colors and layer them.

Thank you cicadalady and msc.

And JP- thank you! I'm afraid I'm going to have to follow that advice. I'll definitely have to get more rondelles soon!

I am a huge Chalcedony fan ..love it ! I had some scrap wire left a couple of months ago and tossed this ring together as I'd found a nice Chalcedony cabochon . It's much lighter than in this photo IMG_1732.jpg Nothing fancy or complicated but I love the colour of the stone. I also love the colour of that pearl ! For years now I've loved combining little gems with pearls in long tin cup styles or as chokers with one - three pearls..the colours you get to work with are endless. ( Though stringing those little rascals...especially the 2-3mm ones...SOOOO tiresome.) I do like what you've done with the 3-4mm size ... 4mm is quite a reasonable size to work with..it's big enough to show off the colour nicely. I often use 4mm in bracelets.

Thank you all for the compliments on the blue and white baroque akoya strand and bracelet. It took me a while to figure out what to do with the pearls and I hate to take things apart. I feel like I lose a little bit of its history so I want to keep things together as much as possible, but I just couldn't get the necklace to lay right with the strands being such odd lengths.

MSC, I think your gifts to your mom and her twin are lovely and I'm sure they will love them. Did you use a watch chain for the new pendant? I've been admiring watch chains for a while and wondering just how to incorporate them into different jewelry styles. And I love your teenie tiny pearls making a nice statement in the pendant. They are so colorful!

Lary, that center pearl just makes me swoon. The design is shows off the color very well. Nice design, JP! I also think I've seen the elephant story, but on facebook. The story was shared and I read about it. It's really amazing how intelligent and sensitive elephants are.

Katbran, what a wonderful ring! And how awesome is it that you can just make a setting like that? One of the classes I've been considering at the local junior college is jewelry making.

Newberry, you're killing me with your tin cups! I really thought I loved the first one. Until I saw the second one. Then I decided the ssp ones were my favorite. But then... oh shoot, you get it. And then you said that was only about half of your tin cup collection. I think I should just go to bed now and cry myself to sleep. lol... seriously, you are the queen of tin cups!

It's been tremendously hot, so pearls around the neck and wrist are out! But dangly earrings are perfect and Dave's pearl vial works well too with the hot climate.
IMG_2504.jpg
IMG_2506.jpg

Beautiful ring, Kat! You should start a jewelry fabrication thread...

That looks cool, in every sense of the word.

The earring look like something worn in Pompeii before the volcano erupted. I love them. And Dave's vial is adorable.

Did you use a watch chain for the new pendant?
I just used a dog clip end of a watch chain for this pendant, not the actual chain itself... But may I recommend looking around instagram? There are lots of inspirational photos of jewelry styling there and I've seen plenty of folks using watch chains in interesting ways on that platform!
One of my favorite ways to style watch chains is to take several shorter ones of various design and clip them together to make a longer, eclectic looking chain.

Thanks, BWeaves! I would have never thought Pompeii, but after you mentioned it I did a google search and agree :)

Last edited:
Thank you katbran! I strung and re-strung that necklace three times to get it exactly how I wanted. It was stressful enough for me keeping track of that size, much less 2-3mm ones! I totally agree about the colors though.. I've already picked out some pearls from the stash that I think I am going to make into some of these necklaces, or something similar. The biggest choice is definitely trying to pick between the endless options of rondelle colors. Really love the color of that chalcedony, too! Green is my favorite color.

Amti- thank you! I do think I remember seeing Shirley's story on Facebook at one point too. I probably shared it!

MSC - perfect pearls to wear in hot weather for sure!

Amti- I think you should consider the class...I went into training a few years back as I thought I'd be able to make some findings that I wanted but couldn't find...needless to say it didn't take long to realise that the effort that goes into making something simple puts the cost of it WAY beyond what one might want to 'pay' . If I did it a lot then I'd be faster lol BUT what is great is that it gives you simple things you can do - links, eye pins, rings etc that are good fun to do. fullsizeoutput_d9c.jpg A little sample of very basic work... Goodness knows I'm not anywhere near the standard of our artistic LadyD!

MSC - lovely summery combination of blues !! The dangle earrings are so cute ! And the little Bottle is adorable!

Amti and MSC - thanks for the lovely comments ! <3

MSC, what kind of pretties are those blues on your earrings?

Katbran, I'll probably take the class in a year. There are a couple other classes I want to take and I'm pacing myself... one class a semester. Your pieces certainly inspire me!

Thank you, Lary, Kat, Cathy, and amti! The earrings are apatite and Vietnamese akoya :) It's hard to tell from the photos, but the middle pearl is a seafoam green and the outer pearls are a teal blue.

Kat - your pieces are so pretty! I especially like the ones on the stand. They look heavy for the ears, but I think they'd make beautiful necklaces. I'd love to take fabrication classes. I'd also like to take some photography courses. I live in the middle of nowhere so both are out! Maybe someday :)

MSC, what is that round blue stud? That colour is crazy.

Katbran, wow I can't believe you made those pieces. I really love the earrings at the back.

MSC, the pearl dangles, are they Vietnamese akoyas? Ah great to see you wear the vial, now I know how it looks when worn.
Katbran, woah you really are creative. I should take classes with you.

MSC, the pearl dangles, are they Vietnamese akoyas? Ah great to see you wear the vial, now I know how it looks when worn.
Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about :)

My other earrings are sapphire (middle stud) and a synthetic stone (3rd stud). My 3rd ear piercing is still healing, just a few months to go, so I'm still wearing the piercing earrings. The are professional piercing earrings, with threaded stud heads. The company that makes them does make heads with precious metal and genuine stones, at some point I'll switch to that :)

Back