First Beading Attempt

LVLanghanke

So I have had a beautiful GSSP in my possession for a little while but didn't know what to do with it. I decided I wanted to try some beadwork and thought I would use it as the focal piece. It didn't turn out great, but better than I would have thought! Eventually I will probably undo it and use the pearl for something else. Those of you that do beadwork, do you have any suggestions on how to hide your joins better? 9-10 mm top quality fresh water pearl

Also, you can't tell from the photo, but the light beads in the rope are gold like those in the cones.

That is a true labor of love! It's beautiful. I don't think that people will ever notice faults when the overall impression is so harmonious.

That's quite a project Chelsea, congratulations! The beads you used look like natural pearls to me from a distance)) Neck shot please?)

As for the joints - if you talk about the joints between parts, then the best way I know is not to interrupt the thread within 3 rows above and below from the joint. And when the thread does finish - depends on the beads you use, but if the hole diameter allows I usually finish the threat and continue beading from the two beads BEFORE the bead I knotted the thread (i.e. going an extra time through the bead on the joint place). Don't know if I explain myself well)) but this helps avoiding bulky knots) if you bead on a fishing line you can also merge the two pieces of line together with the heat, but it might take some practice not to burn the thread through)

Lovely! As a weaver, I had a friend who did beautiful beadwork, and we'd barter work from each other and collaborate on pieces, but she was the one with the beading knowledge. She died several years ago (of old age), but that's just the sort of piece she'd do.

Hi LVL. I too find beading relaxing. Is that a type of netting above the lower cones? When I add new thread, I do no knot the old thread until the new thread has already worked several rows, that way there is no chance of having to pass a knot.

Good suggestions, ladies! I will remember that should I end up redoing this. Yes, they're simple brick stitch cones and then Russian spirals for the chain. :)

That looks like a lot of work! How many hours did it take? I admire your patience! As for the piece, I think it is unique and neat! I don't bead so I don't have any suggestions, but don't notice the joints.

Back