Fiddling with weaving pearls

Thank you, JP!

MSC, for your viewing pleasure, the core.

20160708_220541-480x640.jpg

And it's done! I'm thinking a big orbit clasp would look good? Excuse the pajamas :)
20160708_223507-480x640.jpg

Lovely!!! Thanks for the shot of the work in progress. Looks very tempting, but with knotting, wrapping, seed beading, knitting and quilting… probably have enough unfinished projects *cough cough*. sigh :)

Marianne, have you ever tried knitting pearls into anything? I have an idea rattling around in my head ...

Cathy I remember that wonderful white sweater you wore at a ruckus that you had put pearls on.....just beautiful!

Agree! Cathy, the pearl embellished sweater was beautiful. I would enjoy seeing it again (hint hint).
As for bead knitting… nope. I have a "how to" book, but have not gotten past the reading stage. Tried crocheting a beaded rope, but had a hard time getting past the beginning rounds. As with any hand work skill, it probably just takes practice. But, after cranking out over 50 crouched baby blankets to full sized afghans in my 20s and 30s, that wrist action is no longer pleasant. Now I mostly just knit scarves and hats. I do enjoy quilting a bead weaving :) Just not enough hours in the day.

I love the "down the rabbit hole" photo. That's a perfect shot of what kumihimo looks like in progress!

The finished necklace is gorgeous. I think a large orbit clasp or a double C clasp would be perfect. Something with presence.

Thanks, ladies! BWeaves I'm digging around now to see what I can find for clasps. Bella has a few things that I like.

Hmm knitting with pearls sounds like fun. I've tatted and crocheted with beads before, which is fun, but pearls might be challenging because of needing to get some with larger holes to fit onto the yarn. If anyone does any projects like that please share pictures!

I also like the addition of gold beads. Are the threads knotted into place to keep the pearls and beads from spilling if a thread breaks?

No, braiding is not knotted. However, since the multiple threads are interwoven, fewer beads should spill if there is a break. And because there are so many threads, there's less likelihood of a break.

Yay MSC! I can PM you some that I like.

amti I used doubled Beader's Secret, and there are 8 strands of pearls/beads woven together (so 16 strands of thread) so I'm pretty confident it's not going anywhere.

Battah, that's about how far I've gotten on knitting with pearls ... Trying and failing to get the pearls on yarns LOL. I still have ideas though. I was once a thread crochet fan, but like you, Marianne, I've worn out these poor hands. Even the sweater embroidery was designed to be something grander; the challenges of pearl holes versus thread dictated a lot of changes, and I doubt it would hold up to anything more than gentle wear. I will bring it if you ladies really want to see it again :)

Yes please Cathy and as many pearls as Walter, oh I mean you, can carry ;)

Back