Evaluation Forum.

Didn't we make the other one PD wrote a sticky? This has been pretty much pearl dreams idea, and she has taken all the initiative.

My suggestion is we make something simple and clear a sticky, and when newbies come on without full info, whoever sees it first can cut and paste the answer or part of it as appropriate. So far, it seems easier to me to ask each poster the same things, as necessary. We can use these written paragraphs ourselves, to cut and paste so we don't have to start from scratch, if we don't want to.

I love what Pearl Dreams finished with, but Caitlin is probably right that we will need to cut and paste it in answer to each query. :)

I can't seem to find whatever I wrote earlier, so I'll just make a new thread with that post if that's okay.

If you care to sticky it, Caitlin, we can use it to copy and paste.

Hi all, I received these from a friend that visited the philippines recently. Not 100% sure how much they paid for them but i'd like to get a better idea of what they are. The necklace is made up of 11.2mm pearls 18" long, and the studs are about 12.7mm each. Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully when I learn more I could contribute.
IMAG2473.jpgIMAG2474.jpgIMAG2478.jpgIMAG2485.jpg

Blake,

Welcome! Did the friend say if the pearls were freshwater or south sea? Are the earrings round or somewhat flattened? The earrings look pinkish in the photo compared to the necklace, is that correct?

It's difficult to see the characteristics of the necklace against the red background. Please if possible, take a few more photos, including the clasp, with a white paper towel as a background. Also a close up of a section of the necklace pearls, please.

Thank you

Hi and welcome
We can tell you a lot more (we hope) if we have some more information, so we got together and prepared this short set of questions - can you supply as much info as possible? Thanks:

Welcome to Pearl-Guide!

We would be pleased to try to help you determine what sort of pearls you have, but we will need some information from you first:

1. Do the pearls feel slightly gritty or smooth when rubbed gently against your tooth or against another pearl?
If they are gritty, they are likely to be real nacre (genuine pearls.) If they feel smooth, they are likely imitation pearls.

2. Please provide clear, in-focus photos without flash against a white background (a paper towel works nicely.)
Include close-ups of the clasp (front and back) and a few of the pearls. If there are flaws, include a photo of those. Also the box they came in, and tags if you have them.

3. Any history you can give us about the pearls. Where/when you or your relative got them, any documentation you have (receipts, appraisals), their price range if you know it, etc.

4. Describe any marks on the clasp. These may be numbers (14K, 585, 750, 925 etc.) or brand names or even pictures.

5. Measure the pearls, with a millimeter ruler if possible. If they are graduated, measure the largest and smallest pearls.

Please understand that any opinions we offer are not an official appraisal. If you think you may have valuable pearls, please see a jeweler.

Hi All, Finally got some photos using a better camera, however being stupid, I forgot the clasp pic, i'll have to try and describe it.

History, my friend went to the philippines a while back and brought home some pearls for his wife. This is about a year ago. He said he bought them from a shop in Palawan. My wife saw them and immediately wanted some:p, so he gave me the contacts and I'm heading there on vacation in about a month. He wouldn't give me a price paid as he couldn't remember.

The clasp has a silver s shaped pattern, i'll try and upload a photo later. It almost looks like a dragon, but I dont think it is, just a pattern. After measuring each pearl, the necklace pearls range from 10.4-11.2mm in diameter and the earrings about about 12.6mm in diameter each. The earrings seem to have a stainless stud backing.

On a side note, I did take it into an appraiser in Hong Kong, He does all my wife's other jewellery and when i dropped off a new batch, I gave him these to look at. He said the earrings are no doubt that they are saltwater and they are indicative of south seas, and the necklace is saltwater but could not confirm if they were south seas or not without a closer look, but I didn't want to pay for them to get appraised since they are not mine. Anyway, Have a look see what you think. Thanks!!!

IMG_0636.jpgIMG_0637.jpgIMG_0639.jpg

Hi all. I am new to this forum. This is my first post. Attaching a pic of a necklace for you all to adore.image.jpg

Oh! What interesting variation in colors and shapes-- are they known to be naturals?

Back