Evaluation Forum.

Caitlin

Amazing. I found 100 threads asking for evaluations!!!! About 5 are for simulated pearls. We haven't had much of a voice in simulated pearls.......

But these threads are an education when you read one after the other! Pretty soon.......

This forum is not the same as "show us your pearls"! Over there, it is show and tell and admire.

Over here, it is tell me about those pearls my grandmother, aunt, etc. gave me. It is a chance to take a guess. We have real experts who can speak with authority, but it is also an opportunity to test yourself. I expect to see a lot of expectation for natural pearls in this Forum so it should be a great opportunity to sharpen our skills at identification!

If you have not noticed, I do not mind guessing wrong about pearls- it think it is more important to try to make a good guess. If it isn't correct, well that is a learning experience! I am not a trained pearl person. I am a public amateur, so to speak- I am learning in public, so sometimes I am wrong in public. No big deal.

If you notice anything about the item in question, please comment- even if it isn't a guess. This looks like it could be a lot of fun!

I have seen quite a few synthetics. 98% are junk. A majorica in the origonal box has some value. David, another line, has some also. Most of them are junk.
Stores like good will or st vinnies have tons of this stuff. The finest beaded necklace we have strung in the many decades were hand blown glass. 30 years ago my mother, company founder, said she strung quite a few but they pietered out over the years. The size was 4 mm to 9mm and usually wax filled. I was told they were made in france. I would take one, now, in a heart beat. Supurb color. They were quite light and the color was like an old christmas ornament, lots of color play .

hand blown glass beads

hand blown glass beads

I would love to see a photo of one of those!

My Brownie camera at the time took kinda poor pictures ;)

Norm

ps project coming alo0ng pretty good on filling large hole in 15mm bead
stay tuned.....first I have to decide if I want to divulge trade secret OR if
others may have better idea.
N

this is gonna be awesome! my favorite is when people come on and ask what something is worth and then they proceed to ARGUE with the experts about it...... love it when that happens - very entertaining! ('natural colour brackish water pearls' anyone? lol)

i'm taking some items in to an appraiser next week - can't wait to find out what she has to say about that gold and natural pearl pendant (and whether it is solid gold or not!)

oh, i hate when people post crappy photos though - wanna smack 'em....... 'i can tell you that your camera is worth about fifty bucks, and you have a brown sofa'........

- jodie -

okay so...... these belonged to my grandma..... well, actually, okay the truth is..... this IS my grandma (she has a condition......) she is leaving these to me but she won't take them OFF so - this is the best photo i can get! how much are they worth?????????

Jodie, spot on, why do people ask for an expert opinion then immediately argue? Mostly, I reckon, because they didn't want an expert opinion, they wanted an expert confirmation

art nouveau baroque pearl ring

art nouveau baroque pearl ring

Hello pearling experts, I can't get my mind off this ring so I have to ask of your advice.

This is being described as an art nouveau 10k gold ring (stylistic scrolls and floral embellishments) with three tiny seed pearls and a 14mm baroque pearl. What exactly is the focal - a mabe or a natural baroque pearl?

The lustre is rather intriguing.

Oops, a problem, can't seem to upload any pics (same issue with Alex and Jeweljunke - Help, site admin!!!) but here is the url link to it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360423827586?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Last edited:
Marianne, I bit - abalone pearl or FW mabe - I will post pics for the experts to decide when it arrives. Fell hard for the ornate art nouveau?? (if as claimed) scrolls and flowers, and of course, the strange pearl with the touch of flourescent green.

Deleted quite a few pictures from my albums and still can't post pictures so here is the URL again (scroll all the way down):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360423827586?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Last edited:
evaluation

evaluation

Jodie, spot on, why do people ask for an expert opinion then immediately argue? Mostly, I reckon, because they didn't want an expert opinion, they wanted an expert confirmation

"spot on" 30+ years taught me that....A retail store customer charges $150 per
evaluation, written only, I did 5 one day for them. confirmation..especially when they buy on ebay or etc.

Back