Etsy Edison Pearl Smash Question

Gemandpearlover

Hello- I am asking for your expertise on these pearls. For the sake of curiosity I smashed some FW pearls today. These were pearls I did not think were good enough to string on a necklace I made. One of my first strands of learner pearls.

The pearl strand was sold by a US Etsy Vendor (lots of sales, 100% good reviews) as Edison pearls. The pearls are very round. Two of the pearls had chalky areas that I thought was missing nacre which led me to believe the pearls have just a tiny bit of nacre over the bead. This made me feel really bad because I made a very pretty necklace for my friend but didn't want to give it to her after deciding the thin nacre would probably wear out soon. But after smashing it- I don't see any beads. Which could be a good thing because the necklace might be suitable to give as a gift.

What are your thoughts? Any issues I am overlooking?

Thanks!

IMG_0481 (1).jpg
IMG_0480.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 46
Solid nacre for sure, but Edisons are bead-nucleated...so not "Edisons", just all-nacre FWP.

Thanks Pattye and Katbran. :) I am pretty much done buying Etsy pearls for now. It has been a lot of fun and I only regret one purchase. When I buy a gem grade FW necklace I will be buying from one of the reputable vendors recommended by forum members.

It's very interesting to see the center of the pearl, isn't it? Pure nacre, indeed!

I'm not surprised by this. There are many sellers out there calling large FWP Edison's. When you ask if they have ever done a smash test to prove their vendor is really selling them Edison's they say NO.

Back