Environmentally (and socially) responsible pearl farming?

Ramona

I have for some time now investigated pearl farming that can make some impact on its environment, both socially and environmentally. There are pearl farms in Tahiti, Fiji, and the Philippines (mentioned here on this board) that come to my mind. That covers black pearls and golden and perhaps white south sea pearls. How about Chinese freshwater pearls? I read on Grace Pearl's website that they strive to protect the environment. Does anybody here now whether this is indeed true? Are there any movement in China towards those goals? Pictures I have seen from pearl farms in China often suggest that pearls are grown under conditions that suggest a less than pristine environment. However, I have never been there. Any recommendations?

Great question Ramona. There are some old threads here that talk about that but it would be good to get an update. Seems like it's a question that doesn't like getting asked. Here's to hoping that's not true.

I've been wondering about this too actually (what is the environmental impact of pearl farming etc.)

Well, I keep thinking about the tainted milk (what was in it again? MELAMINE?) In milk. Who drinks the most milk? CHILDREN. And that was only, what? Four or five years ago? How many people must have known about it and turned a blind eye........ it was HUGE. Then the dog and cat food ("oh, it's only for PETS - who cares".) Actually I think THAT was melamine so can't recall what was in the milk...... (my cat had permanent kidney damage from it....... oh well!)

Makes me think - enviromentalism and pearl farming? Probably not a big priority........

- Jodie -

Read Josh's blog for good info on sustainable pearl farming. In China, many fw pearls are farmed in rice paddy type environments, I think and the mussels are fed pig manure among other substances to enrich the ponds. We have a lot of info in these pages. There is a cutting edge that takes sustainable pearl farming very seriously.

I've been wondering about this too actually (what is the environmental impact of pearl farming etc.)

Well, I keep thinking about the tainted milk (what was in it again? MELAMINE?) In milk. Who drinks the most milk? CHILDREN. And that was only, what? Four or five years ago? How many people must have known about it and turned a blind eye........ it was HUGE. Then the dog and cat food ("oh, it's only for PETS - who cares".) Actually I think THAT was melamine so can't recall what was in the milk...... (my cat had permanent kidney damage from it....... oh well!)

Makes me think - enviromentalism and pearl farming? Probably not a big priority........

- Jodie -

Not a big priority on the list of many that would prefer to just pack up the money bills...but there are many pearl farmers in the world now that striving to raise "Green Pearls" and there is -of course- the issue of "Fair Trade Gems"... so there are some people that have begun taking steps to avoid over-production and increase the quality of the pearls, grow the oysters in a sustainable manner and improve the livelihood of their employees.

But in the end these efforts become more of a "niche market" opportunity than a real alternative for the "mass consumption market": these efforts may never become mainstream. Still, you have to do things in a way that makes you proud and to keep your Soul intact (hard to achieve if you are a despotic employer that produces low quality pearls and that is damaging the environment).

In the end, you can just become a tiny drop of water in the Ocean and will never really achieve anything of worth (the World itself WILL NOT CHANGE)...but you'll be able to face your children and -ultimately- death and the Grand Creator. And this is more than enough for me.

Wise words Douglas. I already figured from the nonresponse that price is the key driver. To me that would suggest hard times are ahead for Kasumi pearls out of Japan and white SS. I think you fortunately are in a great niche anyways without the added benefit of responsible farming.

But in the end these efforts become more of a "niche market" opportunity than a real alternative for the "mass consumption market": these efforts may never become mainstream.

Environmentally, I would like to think most, if not all pearl farmers have the best interest of their inventories at heart. Ethically, I'm not so sure.

Sadly, fair trade policies can be exploited. Anyone can affix this term to their operations, for whatever reason. Afterall, "fat free" food might mean no staturates, but might still contain high levels of carbohydrates, starches and sodium. 2% milk is a perfect example. In reality, it's a by-product of the cream making process and is proportionally higher in lactose than that of homogenized milk. Yet it's touted as a wise choice for dietary weight contol? Clearcut logging is another example. To prevent the massive depletion of coastal rainforests, the term "old growth" can only be applied to "sustainable development", otherwise consumers might dismiss it as destructive. It took almost thirty years for the world to become educated on this front.

The fair trade market in coffee has turned out to be an interesting model. Years ago, farmers were obligated to produce the best quality possible to compete. Lower grades were either not produced or sold at low prices. Since the fair trade model and guaranteed cellar prices, many farmers have lost the incentive to produce premium coffee and are producing lower quality, higher yield varieties.

Standards vary from country to country, especially when it comes to labor. To that end, ethics are a virtue not a policy. While a step in the right direction, policies are only something done over and above the current legal standards, usually to improve the public's perception of a product.

In Canada for example, I could not even begin to perform aquaculture enmass until I've satisfied a huge body of intervenors in the application processes, which include comments from upland holders, navigation, recreationalists, fisheries managers/biologists, environmentalists, first nations... and so on. Likewise, we have minimum wage standards as well as strict regulations in occupational health and safety. These are virtues, thus ethics should never come into question, bet yet they still do from time to time. Not necessarily because of my own doings, but often as a result of other's bad deeds.

So to that end, Douglas hit the mark exactly, as these can only be applied when the consumer is wholly informed as to the origin and processes of production.

Last edited:
Still, you have to do things in a way that makes you proud and to keep your Soul intact (hard to achieve if you are a despotic employer that produces low quality pearls and that is damaging the environment).

In the end, you can just become a tiny drop of water in the Ocean and will never really achieve anything of worth (the World itself WILL NOT CHANGE)...but you'll be able to face your children and -ultimately- death and the Grand Creator. And this is more than enough for me.

Hear hear! A man after my own heart...... every little bit counts, even if we're the only ones who care (or see it, or know about it).......

- Jodie -

Douglas walks his talk. I can't tell you how much I admire him and his two compatriots of Cortez Pearls. Los Tres Amigos. He is the English speaker, but all three share the same principles.

If you love pearls, study up on these. They are the coolest pearls in the world. If I could afford it, I'd buy them out! As it is I try to add a little to my Cortez pearl collection each year. Put Perlas.com as a favorite. Follow Douglas' blogs. Follow pearlman69 on YouTube. Follow him on Facebook. This tiny operation is super-important in the world of cultured pearls for many reasons,not the least of which is a piece such as you just bought!

Thank you Caitlin for sharing with everyone how great Douglas and his pearls are. I tell everyone as well.

Dave, I understand what you are saying and completely empathize with your frustrations to "get things done" amongst the good intentions but over the top regulations you face in Canada. I think that it is important to keep a positive view on new ideas such as fair trade and the subject of this thread, sustainable (ecological and socially minded) pearl farming. There will always be cheaters but the more these things enter our collective dialog, the more they will structure and become legit.

Whether it's milk, coffee, logging or pearls, I am convinced that quality will eventually rise to the top. I have to say though that the silence is deafening beyond what you, Douglas and I have to say. Pearl on my brothers!

Hi Josh!
You and Kamoka are also so very special. I can't tell you how much I admire the life you et al have wrought!

I regret the deafening silence, but as my favorite anthropologist of the 1940's said, "It only takes one person to change the world" and you two groups of pearl farmers have leverage far more than you can feel at the moment. Your collective impact with the few others like you is exponential to your size.

Perseverance Furthers.

Yes! Exactly my sentiments Caitlin. Not too sure about the leverage you speak of (I think Douglas and I are feeling pretty leveraged out ourselves lol) but I absolutely feel that it is possible to change the world. Perseverance furthers (very I Ching. Love it).

Yes. I Ching. My life motto. My hubby put that on the marquee of the Straight Theater back in 1966. He might have a photo; but no other motto stands up as well as this one. You don't have to do something huge. Just persevere in whatever you do. And you guys are doing something grand, when you expand out of the day to day realities into the cosmic view!

Not too sure about the leverage you speak of (I think Douglas and I are feeling pretty leveraged out ourselves lol) but I absolutely feel that it is possible to change the world.

Actually Josh, your effort and solution to the de-fouling issue has struck a chord around here. When I returned to my farm a couple of years ago, I noticed a huge increase of bryozoans, tunicates and sponges. A lot of the oystermen were power washing during growout and at harvest. I submitted biomass assessments from the mid-eighties alongside of present day surveys and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, as well as the BC Shellfish Growers Association agreed. Between this data and the need to control invasive species (particularily the green crab), as a result of these issues, farmers are no longer permitted to cold de-foul (steam cleaning with offal containment is allowed) and cannot relay live animals outside of the sub-areas, without strict quarantine measures.

Whoever suggested sunlight is the best disinfectant was on the mark. You gotta love the intertidal zone for that. Besides that, it makes for stronger shells anyway.

I think it is very useful to highlight the benefits of farming methods. I have also been wondering whether pearl farmers could collaborate with climate scientists. After all, even small changes in pH should affect oysters. I don't know if anybody systematically monitors pH changes in oceans. Pearl farmers could contribute a net of outstations that do that.

Thanks again Caitlin for your wisdom. :)

Dave that warms my heart to no end. So good to hear that what we are doing has made it out of our archipelago. :D Getting up to see your operation wasn't in the cards this year but I'm really hoping to make it up this coming year (with my new/used drysuit).

Hi Ramona,
Funny you should say that. I'm in talks with scientists at the moment about an in depth study of pearl farming and it's effect on lagoon ecology. I can't talk about it much just yet but if it is approved we'll be getting some very broad exposure through a major publication. As for monitoring pH changes across the world, very good idea.

Last edited:
Beautifully said, Ramona!;)

And Dave
You are most definitely doing something important, too! I am so glad the 3 of you report here!!!!

Back