Empress Alexandra Princess Alix of Hesse

BlackPearlDudeDC

I came across this old picture and the necklace made me curious about some of her jewelry, so I started looking at more photos. She seemed to wear a lot of pearls, but also beaded stations and chains. I think some of these modern tin cup necklaces would've fit right in during her era.

P1040580

This actually reminded me of myself and my grandma...I used to play with the pearls around her neck to hear their clacking sound (but never on her Church days):

PC250090

Last edited:
Is that a pearl Juliet's cap? It screams yalmulke to me, but I think Juliet's cap is the correct term, although nothing like that was worn in Shakespeare's time.

It's always eye opening to look at the best of the best of the best natural pearls, and realize that even in a grainy, old photograph, you can tell the pearls are not perfectly round and don't appear to match.

I wonder what they looked like in person?

It was great how valued natural pearls were... even in their less perfect perfection. Lucky thing for us because we get to see pearl evolution. The impacts cultured pearls have made on fashion and tastes have been very interesting.

0ba177c8e864d5fcf2e1c033532f7aa4.jpg

original24781174.jpg

It's always eye opening to look at the best of the best of the best natural pearls, and realize that even in a grainy, old photograph, you can tell the pearls are not perfectly round and don't appear to match.

I wonder what they looked like in person?

These are such wonderful pictures of a time past when elegance reigned. I love to see pics like this & I love the natural pearls in all their glory. They have so much character/personality & are so different from the round cultured varieties of modern times. I love the old royal tiaras with their sparkling diamonds , gemstones, & their elegant pearls!

tumblr_nf3q6sXH4Q1rlm2lro1_540.jpg

tumblr_osai8mz5DA1rlm2lro2_400.jpg

These are such wonderful pictures of a time past when elegance reigned. I love to see pics like this & I love the natural pearls in all their glory. They have so much character/personality & are so different from the round cultured varieties of modern times. I love the old royal tiaras with their sparkling diamonds , gemstones, & their elegant pearls!

Shakespeare set Romeo and Juliette during the 15th century portion of the Italian renaissance. "Juliette caps" looked more like this in the 15th century.

Look at the pearls wrapping around the braid case down the back a and how they are adorning the cap itself. Her belt too!

Sigh.

Attachments

• 403d2747ce8ebac9f4fbd4666d0a9a79.jpg
    403d2747ce8ebac9f4fbd4666d0a9a79.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 40
Alix was actually the last Tsarina of Russia (the one who was shot along with her family) and was the daughter of the Grand Duke of Hesse, based in Darmstadt, Germany, where I live. There are lots of photos of her on the internet with some fabulous pearl tiaras and more.

Back