Wire wrapping tools

KatalinPG

As I have seen a lot of beautiful wire wrappen station necklace here, I decided, that I would like to try it also. I already ordered some pearls, but I really have a lot of questions. I know, I need wire and chain, and I was reading a lot of threads about it, and I have an idea what I should order. I just don't have an idea, what kind of tools Im going to need.
As maybe some of you know, I have already made some easy earrings, so I have round nose pliers and a cutter. But what do I need more? A chain nose pliers, a long round nose pliers? If so, which one? Could you suggest me some products?
And an other question is for me, what is a chain nose pliers basically? I mean as you know English is not my mother tongue, so I looked for a translation, but it was quite confusing, what I found. Could someone post me a picture of her chain nose pliers?
And please, just write me any other suggestions, what I could need.

Thank you all in advance!

Chain nose pliers are thin and tapering, flat on the inside, rounded on the outside. I often use them in pairs, for example to open a jump ring.

https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Slimline-Chain-Nose-Pliers/111900

I like a set of economy slimline pliers, containing the basic shapes. They are small and delicate, which is good for the kind of work you see here. I wouldn't use them on heavy sheet and wire, but that is not the case. They are also inexpensive, so you can test which shapes you use more and prefer. You may eventually want to upgrade, though.

Another tool I like and is very inexpensive are tiny round mandrels.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Atom...id=631610f9-3dfd-4b91-969b-040c69edea70&tpp=1

LD- thank you very much for your quick and informative response!

I'd go with LD's recs, because she's the expert. I have chain nose pliers, flat nose pliers, and fairly thin round nose pliers that I use for wrapping (the flat nose less often, though, those are more for other things). And cutters.
Something like this might be nice: https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Forming-Flat-and-Round-Nose-Pliers/115149

I have these: https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Ecomony-Round-Nose-Pliers/111913
and these: https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Chain-Nose-Pliers/111911

and they're great.

I'm always up for hammering! Great stress reliever, though I don't actually know how to make anything with one.

Personally, for starting out, I would get

1. two pair of smaller smooth chain nose pliers - I wouldn't get ones with teeth as it mars the wire
2. two pair of round nose pliers - one fine pair and one regular
3 good flush cutters
4 a small metal file kit - comes in handy - or just a small fine file or one of those little tools for taking the edges off the end of a wire
5 super skinny long nose pliers - they have a long skinny nose thats good for getting in between beads

I've never tried a torch - I've shied away from it because it seems like quite an undertaking and I don't have much of a workspace (I mostly work at my coffee table), plus with little kids around flammable things make me nervous. Would I need a lot of equipment? Two things I'd REALLY love to learn to do are soldering (I hate that I can't solder jump rings), and using precious metal clay.

The only hammering I've done is to handmade wire clasps. I have a little anvil and hammer, and not gonna lie, whacking at them is fun :)

If you are just doing small things, then those small torches will work just fine. They are also safe. I started out with one that used gas lighter refill, not even the larger butane canisters. Get a charcoal block to solder on and solder filled jump rings and you are pretty much good to go. Citric acid or vinegar and salt work well as a warm pickle to remove crud. For a second step, move on to solder and flux.

Yes, hammering stuff is a lot of fun. And stress relieving!

Hmm I might just do that then. I didn't realize it was so simple! I feel like the ability to solder jump rings is so important to creating pieces that are as sturdy as I need them to be. My kids pull on my jewelry... Can I bug you with questions when I'm ready to buy equipment?

Oh don't worry, law school beat thorough research tendencies into me ;) thanks, LD, I'll pick your brain soon!

Yes, please get a fire extinguisher. Safety! Also, a sand bucket is not a bad idea. Dump things on fire there if needed or dump sand on top of a fire, in case you have other chemicals nearby (fire extinguisher make a huge mess).

I also make sure that the surfaces around the hot zone are fire proof, so if something catches fire, I just let it burn out.

Def need fire extinguishers in the house! My DH is very paranoid about that, we have one on every floor of our townhouse. And, given how forgetful I am, every few months he drags me around the house to remind me where they are and how to use them.

There are resistance soldering machines, mainly used for eyeglass repairs and dentistry. Personally, I find them awkward to use and difficult to calibrate (it depends on the weight of the piece, material, position, conjunction of the stars, etc). They are more suited to tacking before soldering a complicated construction than to substitute a torch.

But, if you are taking proper precaution, there really isn't much need to be afraid of a torch. Just be prepared, pay attention and work aware.

Back