Edison auction

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
The top price for one strand of Edisons was over ?1/2m. Never be snotty about freshwater pearls again!
There are some pix (pearlnography) RockiesHikingLake Agnes Teahousecrazy dogthe boys at the farm

'Pearldar' is tracking

and squeaking........:p

Wendy

how magnificent - definitely something to write home about !!

Did they sell, or do you still have them ?

Hey Pattye

yes, I think Wendy has been hiding her light under a bushel

not sure what a bushel is....., but there's definitely something super-glamorous under there.....:rolleyes:

Hey Pattye

yes, I think Wendy has been hiding her light under a bushel

not sure what a bushel is....., but there's definitely something super-glamorous under there.....:rolleyes:

S'Biblical, innit? From a parable about hiding your light under a bowl.

I've no more info and pix than that. I bought 35 loose undrilled Edison's in 2010 when they were just expensive bead nuked freshwaters. spent a happy three hours going slowly through a large box of them putting a strand together.
http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/104_175/products_id/2764 They are certainly beautiful pearls, all natural colours.

aren't you a clever bird, wendy. i admire people like you, on trend yet ahead of the curve. hope this sells well for you and all the best to the little one's arrival (if i recollect correctly).

Dave - yes, I am sure a first edition thing, but the prices will remain comparable (I think) to SS production in the long run.

Wendy's light has always been pretty bright! No bushels required...

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the South Sea-esque pricing we are seeing on these. The prices we've been hearing about are incredibly high, but there is a caveat. The pearls were sold almost exclusively to pearl wholesalers in Hong Kong, but they weren't paid for. The lots and strands were sold on 6-month consignment.

It seems like a smart move in one sense. The onus os now on the fw industry as a whole to make a market for them, but if people aren't willing to bite, what then?

China isn't like Australia where the market is so tightly controlled by Paspaley. With prices like this, every producer in China must be trying to figure the new technology. It seems like a dangerous game.

There's another auction during the HK show in a couple of weeks - that will perhaps give an indication of how prices are holding or not

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the South Sea-esque pricing we are seeing on these. The prices we've been hearing about are incredibly high, but there is a caveat. The pearls were sold almost exclusively to pearl wholesalers in Hong Kong, but they weren't paid for. The lots and strands were sold on 6-month consignment.

It seems like a smart move in one sense. The onus os now on the fw industry as a whole to make a market for them, but if people aren't willing to bite, what then?

China isn't like Australia where the market is so tightly controlled by Paspaley. With prices like this, every producer in China must be trying to figure the new technology. It seems like a dangerous game.

yes, I understand, and there are obviously a few producers who are capable of matching Grace's technology here - it will be particularly interesting I think to see what direction Heng Mei take - will they continue with the souffl? pearls, or will they be pressing for clean, round, metallic nucleated pearls instead? They haven't really been hugely successful with the souffl? range in my opinion - what do you think? Obviously they aren't the only ones in the race, either.

I also agree that Grace have pretty much left it to the industry to see what will be made of these. The enormous price that Wendy spoke about in the opening paragraph is, to my mind, a complete aberration, but I still don't think there will be enough quality product available in the short term to reduce the prices to simple FW prices..

I am still very amazed of the price of SS (I also have SS to compare quality,) compared to the quality of FW continuously rising with such various colors and a metallic shine that no other kind of pearl can compete...
what's happen in the coming years? Will only marketing make the difference?

I agree Nerida, it will be interesting to see what happens about souffles. I've never got excited about them and there were plenty at a reducing price last september. Grace have been clever to hold auction(s). Things are worth what someone will pay for them, and an auction can produce soaring prices or a total rock bottom.
I guess we will have to wait a couple of weeks to see what happens at the upcoming auction. Hopefully there will be one in June to which I can go.

Back