eBay strikes again!

barbaradilek

Help please,in identifying what kind of pearls are in this strand.The clasp looks basic,the outside looks copper,but I’m wondering if it’s a low grade gold that’s tarnished,the “ hook” part is bright and clean.Any thoughts always appreciated!

Attachments

• photo69562.jpg
    photo69562.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 36
Hey BarbaraDilek: those are freshwater pearls, no doubt about it!
Since you mention it...what's the deal with eBay? Are they being sold as "South Sea Akoya" or something of the sort?

Thank you, second,third and fourth opinions are always welcome! I got them for £ 10.00(about 14 dollars) the images were fuzzy,but for that price I wasn t too bothered.However,very strangely,two Identical strands,same clasp have appeared on ebay in the last couple of days,they are both on auction,but wildly different starting prices,and fuzzy descriptions.

It is a good price. But indeed disconcerting when you notice the "same item" with wildly differing prices on the same place (eBay).

It’s true that gold of 14 ct and upwards doesn’t show signs of tarnishing,but almost all gold used in jewellery also contains an alloy of some kind,the more alloy the lower the ct.It’s the alloy throughout the gold that will tarnish,so it is possible for 9 ct gold to darken over the years.There are some interesting examples on sites dealing with antique jewellery on google.

I found this on Quora:

If it is pure 10k gold, it will never fade. Think of it like this, 10k gold means that 10/24 of the necklace is 24k pure gold. So even though your necklace is 10k, it is still mixed with other metals likely silver and bronze to add weight. 24k gold is not strong at all and believe it or not, you could bend a solid 24k gold ring with very little effort. Most necklaces that are solid gold 10k, 14k etc… will actually be plated with gold on top of it to bring out the shine in the metal. I would recommend a jewelry cleaner and then finish it off with a jewelers cloth. that should bring a very nice shine back to your necklace.
This is where I found it.

I have never used any gold lesser than 14K because I taught that anything lower than this amount is not true gold...but true gold is 24K and it is rarely used due to its softness, so it is just a matter of perspective, I guess.

Real gold (14K and up) should not tarnish...but the more mixed golds (lower than 14K) will surely tarnish. I think that the key here is the actual amount of gold in a piece.

Anyone else care to offer up their experience? Have you seen 14K gold tarnish? What about 10K?

Have a great day! :)

Although my 14K gold does not appear to tarnish, when I clean it with a Sunshine cloth, dark tarnish marks appears on the cloth.

I get black marks on my Sunshine cloth, not so much from tarnish, as just surface grime. My skin oils, dust, etc. that has coated the gold. I don't worry so much about the black marks on the Sunshine cloth as much as how shiny does the gold look. If I can't polish it up with the Sunshine cloth, then I put the metal in a jewelry cleaner dip. But only if there are no pearls. I never dip pearls. I've had 9 (English) and 10 (US) karat gold lose it's luster. 14, 18 and 22 karat stay gold.

The tarnish that appears on karat gold is oxidation, similar to the process of tarnish on sterling silver. The underlying metal will not be affected by the tarnish/patina that can develop. The lower the karat, the higher the alloy mix. In the USA, we recently changed the rule regarding "real gold" so now any karat content can be labeled as gold, as long as it identifies the amount of gold (14k is .585 pure gold, .415 alloys which often include silver, copper and nickel although the alloys do not need to be disclosed) And BWeaves and PDs are correct, you are basically removing that layer of oxidation when you use a polishing cloth. Your body oils/skin can also react, helping to speed up that process a bit. Sunshine cloths are wonderful, and they come in different formulations, but do not use them on your pearls because they are embedded with a polishing compound.

Excellent answers! Thank you! :D
And good to know the FTC's (is it the FTC? I'm assuming it is) changed the rules regarding gold. I had not heard of this.
And yes...never heard or seen 14K or above with a tarnish.
I had seen 14K rosé gold having issues but that was just once and with a not that good supplier (at least not with his rosé, his white and yellow gold were really good!) and that was a long time ago.

Thank you and...have a GREAT WEEKEND!

pearlescence Think of Victorian jewelry. Often times it has a darker cast to it. That is usually due to years of patina and oxidation. Its a slow process, but it does happen. And yes the FTC changed the rules regarding "gold". I offered comments in opposition to the change, previously anything below 10k could not be referred to as gold. Now, as long as the content is disclosed, you can call 1k "gold". 3k and 9K were considered European hallmarks, with a guarantee of assay (Europe and UK in particular) is much more strict about content. I think Wendy can speak to that process.

That quote in Douglas's post about pure 10k gold...:18:
I've banged on several times about hallmarking being the process of sending precious metals into the guild HQ for assay and stamping as having passed as to a specific standard.
At the London Assay office of Goldsmith's Hall (you will have seen one of the rooms if you watched Helen Mirren as the Queen - she's there not Buckingham Palace when making the tv speech) precious metals are assayed by striking them on a piece of stone to see what streak they leave - different metals and different carats leave different streaks
streak.jpg
The person doing the testing has a set of already known streaks and then when he assays my piece he will rub it on the stone and then compare that streak with his master copy. It's been pretty much the same since around 1300. Now they also have lasers.
by the way, no nickel allowed. That's what makes you itch

Attachments

• streak.jpg
    streak.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 24
Wow,I never thought so many of you would weigh in on this topic!I found a useful laypersons explanation on a googlesite-Ganoksin jewelry making gold jewelry tarnishing,that has a good image of tarnished gold .and words that I didn’t have to check in the dictionary!!

In common usage, the word "hallmark" is now used to describe the stamp that indicates metal purity. These dictionaries concur:

1. Hallmark | Definition of Hallmark at Dictionary.com

https://www.dictionary.com › browse › hallmark
an official mark or stamp indicating a standard of purity, used in marking gold and silver articles assayed by the Goldsmiths' Company of London; plate mark.

2. Merriam-Webster dictionary:

hallmark
• \HAWL-mahrk\ • noun. 1 : a mark put on an article to indicate origin, purity, or genuineness 2 : a distinguishing characteristic, trait, or feature.
Hallmark | Definition of Hallmark by Merriam-Webster

https://www.merriam-webster.com › dictionary › hallmark

3. Oxford dictionary:

hallmark Pronunciation /ˈhɔːlmɑːk/

NOUN
  • 1A mark stamped on articles of gold, silver, or platinum by the British assay offices, certifying their standard of purity.
4. The dictionary on my computer states:

hall·mark| ˈhôlˌmärk | noun
a mark stamped on articles of gold, silver, or platinum in Britain, certifying their standard of purity.

We can all benefit from learning new things :)
I mean, we are all familiarized with precious metals and stones and -of course- PEARLS. But this act of sharing knowledge is a powerful thing. I didn't know some labs used that "stone & streaks" testing at all! Thank you for sharing that detailed info Wendy pearlescence To find out the FTC's recent changes and rulings on gold...also very interesting and an eye opener!
I mean there is very good information that has been compiled here and it all started with a "simple" (as a Teacher I can always say it with a great degree of certainty: There are no "plain" questions) question by barbaradilek

So, kudos! I love this :D

The assay office assesses and marks the metal by stamping the quality and date but the sponsor (that's me for example, as the maker) applies our own unique sponsor mark. That's exactly where 'making your mark' comes from
Mine is my initials in an oval cartouche.
I'll try to remember to photograph my stamps when next I am doing some photography

Back