double strand fwp necklace - strand lengths

P

pmorna742

Still with my query about this necklace, both strands have 115 pearls, but one is 22mm longer than the other, and they aren't sitting nicely. I'm using A++ (I know this generally doesn't mean much.) I paid ?4.11 each (including 17.5% VAT) for 60 strands last year at Hong Kong Jewellery Fair, since I wanted a nice quality with consistency - heck - just realised that's not what I got!

What should I do about this difference in length, and if I make them the same size, will they sit nicely, like they've been warned they have to?

Morna

The problem is not the length of the strands, it?s the size of the pearls. Lay one strand in the ?U? shaped channel in the center of your bead board. Place the other strand in the channel which best suits your design. Calculate the number of pearls you need to add or subtract to the second strand to have the strands lie correctly. Unfortunately, I cannot convert to your measurements, however, use this guideline if you can, 4 knotted 6MM pearls = 1?.

Hi Morna

We have a link to a handy dandy bead counter here LINK It is a great estimater with and without knots. However it claims only 3 6mm beads to the inch with knots. You did not post the size of the pearls, but this bead wizard can calculate with any size beads with and without knots.

I recently did two 6-7mm necklaces for my daughter to wear on the pearl walk, so they would nest. My first guess was 4 pearls and that made the second strand way too long. I now think 2 pearls off the longer one and back onto the shorter one, would work better, but haven't redone them yet

Attachments

• Pearl Paradise pearls 001.jpg
    Pearl Paradise pearls 001.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Here is the bead board illustration for you. (I guess knotty forgot her camera when explaining) It shows that I should take two off the long one and put them back on the shorter one. (It was so full of projects I didn't use it the first time, silly me).

Attachments

• Pearl Paradise pearls 007.jpg
    Pearl Paradise pearls 007.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 48
I didn't bring my bead board to work with me because it's not Saturday. Wow, Caitlin! Look at that clean board! So that's what a bead board looks like underneath piles of "thinking" and "planning." Re: the beads per inch conversion, I don't think that works where Morna is. Any math wizards around to convert this? That "two beads eyeball" calculation works if both strands are knotted, but if only one strand is knotted and the other isn't, well, then you need the measurements.

double strands

double strands

Hi Caitlin and Knotty,

Thank you both so much for your advice, and for taking the time to produce photos, as a bonus.

Morna

Back