Recommendation for size of round pearls in an opera length strand?

Mayacamas

Hello,
You all have been phenomenal helping to educate me about Tahitian pearls and online vendors. Last question: Since I am considering an opera length strand, what size mm do you all recommend? I just tried on an 8mm Akoya opera necklace and it was definitely too small...and I have read about Pearl shrinkage, too...

However on an opera strand there seems to be a sweet spot between too small and too big in diameter.

What recommendations do you all suggest?

Thank you all so kindly,
Maya

Larger pearls are heavier, something to keep in mind.

My long strand (30"? I forget) is graduated. I like that it always hangs correctly.

It’s all personal preference. I don’t have PSS and am on the small side, so I don’t go too big with my pearls. Since you are looking at an opera strand of high quality round Tahitians, that is going to somewhat limit the size as well, unless you have unlimited funds, that is.

Here are a couple of my Tahitian strands for a comparison-
The smaller strand is 8- 11.5mm. I have a bracelet that can be attached to extend the length.
The longer strand is 11.5- 13.2mm

0E43FED7-D8D6-4A7E-9C3E-AC8DFC8454EC.jpg

Found another older photo of the two strands together-

703570E0-2BAC-411E-8D4F-4BBF0F0D45BD.jpg

If you think that 8mm is to small, I think that 9-10 would be perfect. Personally I wouldn't go over 11 mm in a rope but thats just me. A bigger rope would be very heavy, also bigger high quality tahitians are more expensive usually and smaller tahitians usually are more colourful and lustrous in my opinion.

Back