Does anyone know what type these are and what their value might be?

moonchild

Hi... I inherited this set of pearls from my late aunt. I am so sorry, but I really know nothing about pearls, so whatever info you could give me would be greatly appreciated. They are about 32" long. I know that my uncle paid several hundred dollars for these as a wedding gift to my aunt back in 1958. I have a person who wants to buy these from me, but I don't know if I can part with these, and even if I did, I have no idea what the value might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!

Attachments

• Taj Mahal
    Taj Mahal
    38.7 KB · Views: 40
Hi and welcome.

We really need a close up shot of them with a macro setting (the little flower setting on a digital camera). Unfortunately, this photo doesn't give much information about the pearls.

Here is (I hope) a better picture!

Here is (I hope) a better picture!

Please let me know if you need further pictures. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Bourgainvillia
    Bourgainvillia
    46 KB · Views: 51
I hope this photo is better!

I hope this photo is better!

Here is another photo.... I hope this one is better!

Attachments

• 6:00 a.m. on my way to Agra
    6:00 a.m. on my way to Agra
    14.6 KB · Views: 49
I'm not an expert, but looks like a pretty nice strand of Akoyas to me...

Sheri

Hi Moonchild - it seems you have an 'Opera' length strand there....

are you able to say what size the pearls are - that would probably help the experts here give an opinion

a close-up photo of one of the pearls at the front of the necklace might help too, if you can snap one (use the little flower setting on your camera)

http://www.karbosguide.com/books/photobook/chapter32.htm

Macro photo...

Macro photo...

Alex, I hope this photo works. I'm not sure I am measuring correctly, but they seem to be 10 or 11cm, and they are all the same size. Thank you!

Attachments

• Pearl Paradise Tahitians 9-11.6
silver aqua
    Pearl Paradise Tahitians 9-11.6 silver aqua
    67.4 KB · Views: 48
Thank you so much for the info! Any idea what these might be worth?

Because there are multiple factors, most of the experts are wary of appraisal because they don't get enough information from a few photos.

Vintage akoyas are common, but not inexpensive either. Very often these are inherited or gifted where sentimental value exceeds their market value.

I suggest looking on eBay and you'll get an idea how alike sets sell/not sell. If your pearls are clean, free from chips, blisters and cracks around the holes, add value. Is the clasp attractive, clean, good metal? Compare lengths, diameter and matching grades with recent sales.

Thank you for the info Dave. There is no clasp as these are a continuous strand, so I assume this dimishes the value as well. Also, they still smell like my Aunt's perfume... Sentimental to me but not so much for someone else!

I most likely will keep them... now that I have been studying them so closely I have gained a new appreciation for their beauty! I have only worn them once, but might wear them more if I had them shortened or converted to a bracelet. One way or another, I think they will stay with me! Thank you all for educating me!

Hi MC - looks like you may keep, them which is great

you could have them cleaned and re-strung, say as a 17" necklace, a double strand 7" bracelet, and a pair of earrings - or permutations in between !

I bet your aunt would be happy to see them given a new lease of life too :)

by the way, Pearls don't like fresh perfume, so if you do keep and wear them, put the perfume on first, let it dry for 10-15 minutes, and then put the pearls on

hope you enjoy them, they are lovely

I'm going to argue with you a bit on the perfume thing Alex. We always recomend that you don't put ANY perfume anywhere near where pearls will be, (or where you want to be kissed) because they wil pick up the scent. We've reeled back from packages which have come back for re-stringing before now

Hi Wendy, no worries, happy to defer to you, I guess it's the silk that picks up the scent

but I thought it was Coco Chanel that said 'put scent where you DO want to be kissed' LoL

Hmmmmm...... where's the catch.....:rolleyes:

So if I take these in for a cleaning can the scent be removed? Also, I realized if these were doubled in half making Ir look like a double strand necklace, it would be perfect! I wonder if there is a clasp that can be easily attached to the back without having to re string?

Coco Chanel clearly had never licked perfumed skin. Perfume tastes horrible!
And it is def the pearls which pick up the scent. (as well as the silk)

Back