Do they look like akoya?

Margotlac

Hello,
I am new here and i would love some advice!

I found this on internet:

http://www.petitesannonces.ch/a/2334503

The (very Nice) woman tells me that they are japanese and 7.5mm. That is alle she knows. She as a certificat for these. The rope is about 500$. I am going to see it in real but I don't really know how to be shure these are nice akoyas....? I have had fresh water pearls and a beautifull south sea, but i have never seen akoyas and I have no idea how to look at it, what to search for in thermes of luster and stuff like that!

What do you think of it from the picture? Dors it worth going and see it in real ? And could you help?

Thank you very much for your time,

Margot

IMG_1210.JPGIMG_1211.JPG

It's probably the way the photo was taken causing distortion, but some of those look a bit egg-shaped, which could mean they are freshwater pearls.

Since you are going to see them in person, look closely to see if they are fully round. Akoyas have a bead inside that enables them to be completely round. Freshwater pearls of this size will not have a bead in them, so they are not going to all be fully round, although they may be nearly round.

The ad doesn't actually say they are saltwater pearls. Freshwater pearls are also cultured (although sometimes the word "cultured" is used to mean "cultured saltwater").

The ad specifies there are 2 sautoirs. I don't see a clasp. Is there a hidden clasp that enables the 2 necklaces to be joined together? If so, more likely they are akoyas.

Finally, akoyas have a sharper luster than freshwaters, generally. Look for high luster. Examine them against a white background to judge the luster best. As they are pre-owned, if they were worn a lot and are akoyas, the nacre could be thin in areas. To check for this, roll them gently; thin areas of nacre will seem to blink where the bead is more visible through the nacre.

Thank you very much for these explanation! I've asked the women, she said she has a certificat for it wich mention them as japanese pearl. I' m not sure if it can be japanase fresh water...? The certificat is issued by "Pierre jewelery PTE. LDT in Singapore". Did'nt find anything on the net about this company.
If they seem to me like akoya, with ? nice luster, do you think 500$ worth the price for a 30 inch strand? Pearls are 7.5 mm and there is about 110 pearls per strand and it is 500.- for one strand.
I think no clasp is strange...

Thank you again for your help, thank you very much

Margot,
It is not possible to judge the quality of these pearls, luster, amount and type of blemishes from the photos shown, and that makes it difficult to say whether the pearls are truly akoya and a good value. Is the seller willing to send close up photos against a white paper towel, or white cloth? And what is the return policy?

Margot,
It is not possible to judge the quality of these pearls, luster, amount and type of blemishes from the photos shown, and that makes it difficult to say whether the pearls are truly akoya and a good value. Is the seller willing to send close up photos against a white paper towel, or white cloth? And what is the return policy?

I echo the exact same thing. Any sort of decent photo is needed, otherwise it's just a crapshoot.

The woman lives in the same city here in Geneva so it's easy for me too go and have a look!

There is also the possibility that her certificate refers to another strand entirely.

Finally, even if they are akoyas, in my opinion $500 is a lot to pay for a pre-owned strand of not-particularly-large pearls that has no clasp.

Switzerland is part of the single market (but not party of the European Union) so no cross border taxes with any other member state once an item is within the European Union. Plus if the seller is not a professional there would be no sales tax. (tax is levied only when goods enter the EU, so you would have to add maybe 30% or so to a price from outside once VAT, duty and import clearance charges are added on)
Prices in Switzerland are generally very high but I would think that is a high price for a second hand string and, since the OP is not especially pearl knowledgeable there is a risk of freshwaters or tired worn akoyas, in which case the price is way too high even for more expensive Europe

I think they are real akoya pearl. because they are lustrous and are generally white or cream colored with overtones of rose, silver, or cream.

Back