Did I pay too much for my Tahitian Baroque Necklace

Thank you, you made my day.

I promise to give them a good home and lots of love.

:)

WOW - they are ginormous !!

what a lovely photo

they are probably saying "oh please don't return us, we'll shine and shine and shine, and in the dark, we'll still shine"

:)

Yes, those are beautiful pearls! So glad that you are wearing them because they look fab on you. However, if you tire they would also look fab on Caitlin... or me :)

Wow... either you have the tiniest neck or those are HUGE!!!!!! Are they 15mm in the front??? Once you get into those sizes, the prices jump quickly. If you're comparison shopping, you'll see there's a huge difference in price between a 10-12mm strand, 12-14mm and 13-15. If you're trying to see if you're getting a good deal, make sure you're comparing apples to apples--as best you can site unseen.

I believe my neck is normal. :) The size of pearls range from 11.-to 13.5.

Wow... either you have the tiniest neck or those are HUGE!!!!!! Are they 15mm in the front??? Once you get into those sizes, the prices jump quickly. If you're comparison shopping, you'll see there's a huge difference in price between a 10-12mm strand, 12-14mm and 13-15. If you're trying to see if you're getting a good deal, make sure you're comparing apples to apples--as best you can site unseen.

Tahitians aren't normally my thing, but I think those look absolutely wonderful on you, Artpearl. They are just...right, somehow. Maybe it is the cool silver with your pink undertone skin. I'm guessing that you often find yourself absent-mindedly feeling each pearl, noticing how uniquely shaped they are.

Thanks for sharing this photo!

You are absolutely right, I do find myself feeling each pearl while wearing them. Nothing feels better on around the neck than pearls both in summer and winter (doesn't freeze). I was/am also not sure about Tahitians from a colour perspective. That is probably why I'm saving for goldens.

Tahitians aren't normally my thing, but I think those look absolutely wonderful on you, Artpearl. They are just...right, somehow. Maybe it is the cool silver with your pink undertone skin. I'm guessing that you often find yourself absent-mindedly feeling each pearl, noticing how uniquely shaped they are.

You are absolutely right, I do find myself feeling each pearl while wearing them. Nothing feels better on around the neck than pearls both in summer and winter (doesn't freeze). I was/am also not sure about Tahitians from a colour perspective. That is probably why I'm saving for goldens.

I was/am also not sure about Tahitians from a colour perspective. That is probably why I'm saving for goldens.

Had to chime in as this was indeed my experience too. Allow me to share :) I bought the gamut of the colour range of FW pearls they were affordable but dipped my toes in slowly to the tahitians mainly by buying loose pearls and earrings in the entire colour family. On Asian (and sallow) skin - pistachio greens (ok), peacock greens (ok+), silver grays (better), mauve tahitians (lovely) and dark greens/ blacks (nope, never again). Finally decided that if I ever bought tahitians, they'd have to be a myraid of colours as my Asian skin has a somewhat muddying effect.

Like you, Artpearl, am making my maiden journey into golden SSP. Let us know which colour you eventually decide on given your colouring.; would love to hear from others' perspective as well. So far the intense goldens bring out too much of the yellow in my skin. Sad. Will continue in the pursuit for the perfect shade of SSP...

Hi Adeline,

Thanks for your perspective. You reminded me of a chance encounter I had with a woman from the Philipines at the pearl counter one day. I was there with my sister who is a brunette with fair skin. She told us that while she loved the golds, they did not suit her. She tried on the pearls to illustrate her point and she was correct, the golds did nothing for her while the whites were fabulous. My sister also had the same experience, the whites were by far the better choice. Of course the store only had a single set of golden pearls (don't remember the tone), if they had they range of golds we could have experimented more. At that time I had no idea how many shades of gold existed.

Perhaps, retailers on line could help us out by posting examples of pearls on models of various skin tones.

Have you tried on golds? If so, what did you find/conclude? At this point, I have a personal preference but don't know, if "gold" versus "deep gold" would work best with my colouring.

Had to chime in as this was indeed my experience too. Allow me to share :) I bought the gamut of the colour range of FW pearls they were affordable but dipped my toes in slowly to the tahitians mainly by buying loose pearls and earrings in the entire colour family. On Asian (and sallow) skin - pistachio greens (ok), peacock greens (ok+), silver grays (better), mauve tahitians (lovely) and dark greens/ blacks (nope, never again). Finally decided that if I ever bought tahitians, they'd have to be a myraid of colours as my Asian skin has a somewhat muddying effect.

Like you, Artpearl, am making my maiden journey into golden SSP. Let us know which colour you eventually decide on given your colouring.; would love to hear from others' perspective as well. So far the intense goldens bring out too much of the yellow in my skin. Sad. Will continue in the pursuit for the perfect shade of SSP...

I am Asian with fair to medium skin tone. At first I thought champagne gold SS is better on me. But I think medium or darker gold pearls don't disappear on me like champagne. Have you seen Jewelmer's website or facebook? Some of their models have darker skin and look fabulous in deeper gold strands.

For Tahitian pearls, personally I do not find pistachio green, silver gray (or any silver) and mauve do much for me. Peacock green, true peacock and fly's wing green are my favorites. True peacock has to have just the right amount of pink and/or purple. Too much of pink & purple with not enough green doesn't look right on me. Lillyfuzzysocks bought 2 very deep peacock strands last summer at the Ruckus. The color was fabulous and looks great on her Caucasian skin. Those same strands probably don't look good on me because there was not enough green to make it pop against my sallow tone.

I am delighted reading about your experiences, Cathy and Artpearl. Can't make the same mistakes on SSP unlike FWP. Indeed, white seems to pop best against my skin tone for FWP and will definitely check out your suggestions of champagne cream SSP. Jewelmer on FB here I come. Here's to our ongoing pursuit!

Are you looking at jeweled strand (with dimaonds and other jewels) or simple strand of pearls?

I Indeed, white seems to pop best against my skin tone for FWP and will definitely check out your suggestions of champagne cream SSP. Jewelmer on FB here I come. Here's to our ongoing pursuit!

I did not mean to mislead you. What I meant was I thought champagne SS looks good on me originally. But after looking at some strands at PP I've concluded that medium or deeper gold are better.

Have you tried on golds? If so, what did you find/conclude? At this point, I have a personal preference but don't know, if "gold" versus "deep gold" would work best with my colouring.

A friend of mine, who is mixed-race (black father, white mother) was given a set of gold SS pearls as a wedding present. They are quite a dark gold, and look absolutely stunning on her - her skin is approximately the colour of milky chocolate.

They are absolutely beautiful in themselves, and on her. I tried them on, and they looked absolutely terrible - I have very, very pale skin, fair hair and freckles, and they made my hair look dirty in colour. They did suit my skin colour, but I'm stuck with hair roughly the colour of honey, and gold pearls just Don't Work. My mate can wear yellow, orange etc clothes, too, and I can't. OTOH, my silvery freshwater pearls suit my skin, and get a bit lost on her neck. You win some, you lose some.

Can't help with the value, but your Tahitian necklace is absolutely beautiful, and it really suits you.

Thank you.

I guess we humans are like pearls, with many skin/hair colour combinations and complex overtones. The real fun now begins, find the right pearl(s) for the right person.

A friend of mine, who is mixed-race (black father, white mother) was given a set of gold SS pearls as a wedding present. They are quite a dark gold, and look absolutely stunning on her - her skin is approximately the colour of milky chocolate.

They are absolutely beautiful in themselves, and on her. I tried them on, and they looked absolutely terrible - I have very, very pale skin, fair hair and freckles, and they made my hair look dirty in colour. They did suit my skin colour, but I'm stuck with hair roughly the colour of honey, and gold pearls just Don't Work. My mate can wear yellow, orange etc clothes, too, and I can't. OTOH, my silvery freshwater pearls suit my skin, and get a bit lost on her neck. You win some, you lose some.

Can't help with the value, but your Tahitian necklace is absolutely beautiful, and it really suits you.

I did not mean to mislead you. What I meant was I thought champagne SS looks good on me originally. But after looking at some strands at PP I've concluded that medium or deeper gold are better.

not at all, i misread :) i guess reading the forum has taught me one thing, we all have different coloring to work with and different shades of pearls suit us better. to each his own!

Back