Damage Control

waimeamomi

Natural Pearl
Don't know where to post this really, but has anyone had the experience of the ring breaking off in a pearl set with a pearl post with a ring. I have had 2 different buyers drop their pearls and have the ring at the top of the post break off. They were two different kinds. One had a big ring on top and the other a standard. Both were 14k gold. Is it a finding flaw, or does this happen? I'm going to try and soak the posts out, but if they won't come out, I guess I have to redrill next to the original post and reset it. Any suggestions, ideas, etc.??

just a thought, as I don't know how 14K compares to the hardness of the pearls, but could you not drill out the posts themselves ?

It will happen when the shear factor in the impact is enough to break off the post and break the adhesion of any glue
How will you re-set if the post has broken off - will you solder on a new post?. If you re-drill you will need to put the new post asymetrical to line up?

From the description it's not quite clear just which part of the fitting is actually breaking.

Are you being left with a broken post only within the pearl? Or is the fitting breaking outside of the base?

It could either way be from a blow -but could also be a weakness or a flaw in manufacture such as porosity (an experienced gold/silversmith should be able to diagnose that possibility for you)

Lastly if it's the "ring" breaking off then it could be a soldering flaw - again a goldsmith/silversmith could help identify that.

On removing the post -usually it needs drilling out, unless your really lucky

It's broken off at the post. I don't have the other part to check soldering. I'm going to read the thread on removing posts, then I'll try drilling it out, and then I'll have to do another drill hole right next to the post, I guess. I'll apprise the owner. Hope it works out. It's a really nice pearl.

I had 18k post broken inside the pearl. I drilled again in same spot. Drill went through the gold like through butter...I love my drilling machine.. LoL.....

Back