Cultured South Sea Pearls. Will they last?

That's the thing. A diamond can be damaged as well but it's still a diamond. But a pearl that's damaged.. well.. I'm just worried cause the cultured South sea pearl that I want is a bit pricey. It has no flaws, 12.67 mm and has a good lustre and it's $2000.00 for one piece. I don't mind but if it's not going to last. I was thinking I can add more and get a diamond and it would last.

Actually, a diamond that has been damaged (chipped, scratched or cracked) must be recut or repolished to restore, however, the value may be compromised by the repair. Also, a flawless or even highly graded $2000 diamond would be quite small. Clearly diamonds and pearls are apples and oranges in terms of their values. But my point was that any gemstone, pearl, diamond, sapphire, emerald....can be damaged. So my recommendation is that if you love the pearl (and who doesn't love a large perfect pearl!) wear it as you wish and enjoy it!

... it's $2000.00 for one piece.

Does that include the setting? If so, the value of the metal is a large part of the cost of the ring.

Is it the pearl that you want to last or the ring?...

This is key. If the ring is the main thing, you could just replace the pearl if needed, as GemGeek did with her ring after the pearl was damaged.

Actually, a diamond that has been damaged (chipped, scratched or cracked) must be recut or repolished to restore, however, the value may be compromised by the repair. Also, a flawless or even highly graded $2000 diamond would be quite small. Clearly diamonds and pearls are apples and oranges in terms of their values. But my point was that any gemstone, pearl, diamond, sapphire, emerald....can be damaged. So my recommendation is that if you love the pearl (and who doesn't love a large perfect pearl!) wear it as you wish and enjoy it!

The $2000.00 that I'm talking about is the pearl not the diamond. I highly doubt you anyone could buy a diamond with a high quality for that price.

Does that include the setting? If so, the value of the metal is a large part of the cost of the ring.

This is key. If the ring is the main thing, you could just replace the pearl if needed, as GemGeek did with her ring after the pearl was damaged.

No. It doesn't include the ring yet. It's just the pearl for $2000.00 it's a light champagne colour. But no fish marks and wig a very good lustre and orient.

I'd get it set in a pendant-- with a large enough bail that you could wear it on a long chain, long enough that you could look down and see it while wearing it.

If you are looking for the best value, you can find something better than a light champagne South Sea pearl for $2000. Light champagne is not a terribly valuable color. White, medium gold and dark gold are all worth substantially more. You should be able to get two very fine pearls in that size for price range - not champagne either, but white or gold.

Last edited:
Absolutely, get another color! I didn't realize how much I loved the dark goldens until I got one! They are like liquid gold and so beautiful!

Back