Corroded pearls

Cyril Roger Brossard

SSEF 2013.

Although pearls, as organic gems, are commonly less stable than polished gemstones, we don?t often see pearls with obvious features of surface damage as a result of unfortunate care.
hairspray1.jpg
A few months ago, however, we received for testing a very spectacular case of such damage. The item was a pearl tiara, containing numerous natural and cultured pearls with heavily corroded surfaces. Based on the position of these corroded pearls on the tiara, the best explanation is that this damage was the result of careless use of hairspray, most probably used to fix the tiara on an extravagant hairstyle. Especially the propellant gas found in such sprays may be very effective in dissolving calcium carbonate. Unfortunately, due to the careless and excessive use of such a hairspray, the said pearls have now lost considerable lustre and surface smoothness, and thus also value.

hairspray2.jpg

Yes, a very good photo! The design is unusual in that the tiara rests on pearls, exposing them to wear. It hurts to see the damage.

I think this should be posted in all jewelry shops... I am not sure if Hairspray is still as used as back in the 80's but nonetheless information to customer should be improved.

Cyril, thanks for posting this. I actually have a strand of used pearls from an antique sale that have these strange marks, almost looking like scrapes, but not really a scrape. Now I know the "rest of the story". Just curious, can they be polished in any way to smooth out the damaged areas?

Cyril, thanks for posting this. I actually have a strand of used pearls from an antique sale that have these strange marks, almost looking like scrapes, but not really a scrape. Now I know the "rest of the story". Just curious, can they be polished in any way to smooth out the damaged areas?

most welcome.

Most experience forum users will give you a more appropriate answer. Just remember, re-polishing mean to say removing layers as to minimize surface disparities, hence smaller pearl...

Very revealing photos, and a reminder to all of us. I do use hair spray at times, but am careful to add pearls later.

DLP, I'm not aware of any recommended way to polish up a damaged pearl. I've tried "sunshine cloth" on a few new fw pearls with dull spots (not from hairspray), but can't see any improvement. Since something like that would reduce nacre thickness, I'd guess polishing would need to be disclosed at time of sale, too.

Anyone else tried polishing pearls?

Back