circle-pearls

richardw

I recently purchased a bracelet of pearls described as "Dyed Freshwater". They were inexpensive and from an antique site I frequent. For all the world they look like Tahitian circle pearls; approx 10mm x 13mm, except they are very dyed looking (titanium blue-purple). My question: Are they now culturing freshwater pearls that mimic Tahitian circle pearls? or, Are these such poor color Tahitians that they dyed them? I know, I should have a photo... too bad I am unequipped for such things. Thanks in advance for your comments. Richard.

Do they look like this?

I am sure the experts will chime in later. The "ringed" FW pearls have a distinct look; and are flooded on various internet sites. They can't pass for genuine circle Tahitian pearls. I don't believe FW are being cultured to imitate the circled Tahitian either.

Their rings are very concentric on off-round pearls. I haven't seen any that has drop shape or elongated, as in the case of some circle Tahitians.

Attachments

• 6020538537_LG.jpg
    6020538537_LG.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they are cultured to imitate Tahitians. Circles are fairly common in FW too. They are often dyed to imitate Tahitians and are called Tahitian Black Pearls. Tahitian refers to the color not the species, but buyers are often not aware of that.
You are lucky your sellers are honest.

I have some 12mm klonk sized pearls died that same blue/black color. That color is purely Fw, never Tahitian.

They are almost certainly freshwater from what you are saying. They are not "circled" to mimic, it is just one of the many natural shapes that Freshwater Pearls occur in. As for the color, a recent trend has been to dye these pearls to get an array of colors that do not occur naturally. This is most likely what you purchased.

As for dyed Tahitians... that is not something you see much of, but the SS and Tahitian diehards may be able to tell you more about that.

thanks for the responses

thanks for the responses

Well I bought them very cheaply, as samples really, so I'm happy. If they really are freshwaters they are new to me (never have seen the like at the Tucson show). Looked down drill hole and no evidence of implant bead. If the color was better they would look just right for Tahitians. Something for me to look out for in the future. Richard.

They sell the circle fw in the tents behind the main show. The Gem Mall, G&LW and the like. Commercial grade pearls, but they often look great..

If they really are freshwaters they are new to me (never have seen the like at the Tucson show). Looked down drill hole and no evidence of implant bead. If the color was better they would look just right for Tahitians. Something for me to look out for in the future. Richard.

No implant bead in the great majority of freshwaters. Tahitians, on the other hand, are implanted.
Circle pearls are one of the more frequent shapes of dyed FW - the more imperfections FW have, the more likely they are to end up dyed. Some of them look fantastic - like the ones Cathy has posted above!

Back