Chrsities Auction - A few interesting pieces!

My mother used to save our "good" clothes and then we'd outgrow them before we ever got to wear them. I received some linen placemats and matching napkins from my Mom's trousseau (so 60 years old at least) and they were still tacked together at the corners, never used. They had closet stains from just being stored and moved around. Such a waste.

I love wearing pearls with jeans. And the more pearls I pile on, the better it looks. For some reason a single strand looks more formal to me.

BWeaves, EXACTLY!!! Layers are all about effortless style, not prim and proper finish...I think with pearls, a single strand or multi strand single necklace evokes images of Jackie O and Barbara Bush. Layers of complimentary, and not necessarily matching pearls gives off a totally different vibe.

So true BWeaves and JerseyPearl! I think the fact that most people think I'm a bit crazy when I layer upon layer of pearls supports the "informal" feeling lol ...

I wholeheartedly agree with all to use all the nice things every day, and not save them for that elusive special occasion that never seems to roll around. My MIL gave us her wedding silver and crystal a few years ago, after we had been married nearly 20 years. I was very touched and thankful. My hubs looked at it and said he had never seen it before in his life. LOL! Clearly it did not get any use in the 50 year of her marriage. Such a shame. She is so delighted when she comes over for every holiday and sees it on the table. She has gotten better about that stuff after the death of her parents and cleaning out their house. She has passed on many beautiful things to us, and I use them. I hate to see such beauty sitting in a safe gathering dust.

So true JP and BW. I had a similiar "towel" experience a few years ago and realized there is no good reason so save things for another day. Life is so short, enjoy what you have today!

I also love the idea of layering complementary strands! Definitely feels a lot less formal that a single strand.

Less formal layering, more formal tableware and linens! Now that's something I can toast with the good crystal!! Oh, and btw...totally discovered by chance that Sunshine cloths are wonderful at polishing up silver flatware. Just make sure you rinse with soap and water after polishing.

Wow! Has this thread taken a different, but seriously valid diversion. I totally agree with everything. I have been on a wear it NOW campaign for all the wonderful "precious" items we have. I have even gone so far as to rescue long boxed beautifuls (crystal wine glasses) at estate sales and make them feel loved by using them. We must take the pledge to wear pearls to all everyday events! Grocery shopping, soccer games, and pumping gas, but NOT Pilates or gym workout...unless they are earrings. OK?

Well said, Judi ... we will forever miss Caitlin, sigh ...

When I began to get my first better pieces I swore to love my jewelry for as long as it was with me and to not be upset if I ever lost any. That resolve has been teated a few times but if I worry about wearing it / owning it, it is better not to.

- Karin

Back