Choosing a GSSP for a pendant- what to keep in mind?

khanzy

Hi everyone, this will be my first golden south sea pearl "purchase" so I am looking for some more seasoned pearl-lovers to weigh in on which colors and overtones are considered to be better in terms of this pearl type. From what I have seen on this forum and online the 'best' colors are the deep golds, and golds with rose and green overtones? I am not sure how to judge these from photographs so I am looking for some advice.

I recently came across the lovely Cherish style AA+ GSSP pendant and asked PP to show me some of the various shape and overtone options under different lighting conditions. I have combined these photos below- left is light box, middle is indoor, and right is direct sunlight.
I was still in the process of pondering over these but unbeknownst to me my husband went ahead and just made a purchase online (no specific requests) after I showed him the item (WAHAHA). I found out last night and while it was a really pleasant surprise as you probably know by now I am 'picky' when it comes to pearl buying and need a measure of control over the selection process. So I emailed PP again to ask them to hold the order until I made a decision about the shape and color.

I like the shape of the top left since it is nearest to round and I already own a drop shaped pendant.. but am uncertain as to the color- would it be considered a light gold with green overtone or just light gold? I also like the color of the pearl to its right-it looks to be a deeper gold (though to my eye the deepest gold is that of the oval pearl below it?) Does the pearl on the bottom left have a rose overtone? Also, luster- is the top left pearl a little less lustrous than the top right?

Which color would you like the most? What do I have to consider in terms of choosing?

Thanks and have a good day, everyone!

GSSP box in sun.jpg

I'd have thought the best is one where the colours suit you, and go with your other jewellery and clothes and so forth, as well as some objective standard?

Enjoy your new pearl, whatever colour it is! I'm jealous of people who can wear those lovely gold SS pearls, they don't suit me at all.

I'd have thought the best is one where the colours suit you, and go with your other jewellery and clothes and so forth, as well as some objective standard?

Enjoy your new pearl, whatever colour it is! I'm jealous of people who can wear those lovely gold SS pearls, they don't suit me at all.

Interesting, I was under the impression that gold SS pearls by definition would have a more objective standard for what constitutes the most desirable colors? That is, as opposed to freshwater or Tahitian pearls for which there are a much larger body and overtone range.
Ultimately it does depend on what colors suit the best, that is why I am asking about the top left or top right as opposed to the bottom left pearl, specifically in terms of others' impressions on pictures translate. I know for Tahitians there is more of a variation between photos and the eye.
Many of the other GSSP on this forum have been of the really deep gold variety...

I agree Pattye, PP is amazing when it comes to CS and fulfilling requests!

Choosing the right shade of Gold can be a toughie- these can be tricky pearls to wear because the overtones don't always look great universally against various skin tones. I find that Rose overtones are probably the prettiest (personal opinion) and most versatile; Greens look really great against olive complexions or skin tones with green/yellow undertones. Neutrals really depend on the shade of gold- there are warm golds and cool golds- I prefer warm as it appears to enhance luster and sparkle, but the cool tones sure are interesting!

Of all the pearls you have pictured, I am really liking the luster and color of the lower left-hand pearl. The shape is great, the luster looks nice and sharp, and it does appear to have a faint blush of Rose that would be very flattering!

I agree totally with Amanda. Unless you are going to put the pearl in a safe, buy the pearl which suits you rather than some nominal 'best' from some criteria or other. You want a pearl which looks fabulous on you, don't you?
Or one which has a label on it saying, 'theorietically this is the best gold south sea pearl and I am going to wear it even if it looks like rancid butter against my skin'

that is very well put. I think that since I definitely have a lot of green/yellow in my skin my impression is the top two would be most suitable.

I think my questions are being misconstrued as a request to identify which colors are the "best" of the bunch so that I could select that one for myself! Certainly not the case, as I have agreed upon already!

There were two questions: first, since I am new at "reading" the photos for color (the largest differences being in direct sunlight), I was asking specific questions about how the photos would translate to life. Would the top two be considered "green"? Or just a 'typical light gold"? I can definitely see the rose in the bottom right and it is a lovely pearl but judging by my skin tone- while I am hesitant to describe any pearl look as "rancid butter against skin" - I think a cooler pearl gold might suit me better.

The second question is whether there exists a certain standard for gold south seas considering by their nature of being called "gold". Perhaps I have been led into thinking so because all the fanfare has been over the deep gold and pistachio shades? In any case I didn't mean to come across as making a declaration that there exists a "best" color, I am asking whether it does exist for some, in a similar way as white Freshwaters and Akoyas have a tradition of being treated to make them 'whiter' or 'rosier' instead of just being sold as is! Not that I am making any statements about color treating of any pearl type for that matter...

Believe me, some pearls do look like that on me! Others disappear completely. Often it is the ones I most want to wear!

Hi Khanzy,

Putting my answers in blue so they'll stick out.

There were two questions: first, since I am new at "reading" the photos for color (the largest differences being in direct sunlight), I was asking specific questions about how the photos would translate to life. Would the top two be considered "green"? Or just a 'typical light gold"? I can definitely see the rose in the bottom right and it is a lovely pearl but judging by my skin tone- while I am hesitant to describe any pearl look as "rancid butter against skin" - I think a cooler pearl gold might suit me better.

The top two pearls appear to me to be a Light to Medium 18K Golden Tone with Faint Greenish/Bronze (Bronze just sounds prettier to me than Green lol!) Overtones. Both have Very Good Luster for this pearl type. I think either one would look great against your complexion, which can handle cool tones really well.

The second question is whether there exists a certain standard for gold south seas considering by their nature of being called "gold". Perhaps I have been led into thinking so because all the fanfare has been over the deep gold and pistachio shades? In any case I didn't mean to come across as making a declaration that there exists a "best" color, I am asking whether it does exist for some, in a similar way as white Freshwaters and Akoyas have a tradition of being treated to make them 'whiter' or 'rosier' instead of just being sold as is! Not that I am making any statements about color treating of any pearl type for that matter...

When we talk GSS, we try to describe the shade and intensity of the golden color, then overtone. Typical descriptions would include 14K, 18K, 22K and 24K for the deepest (some pearls are also very lightly colored or more of a sunny yellow color than a true Gold, those I would call Lemony, and then of course there is the Champagne category which I die for). After that, Overtones. GSS Overtones range from warm to cool and can be: Rose, Silver, Neutral, Aquamarine, Green/ Bronze.

The most commonly found GSS will be 14 or 18K Golden Tone, neutral or Bronze overtones- just the way this pearl type is.

The most valued and rarest GSS are the intense 24K Golden pearls- if you see one it will immediately leap out at you, and you'll never have to wonder what 24K Gold should look like again. They almost look fake, the color is so amazing. :)

Champagne GSS will be a fairly unsaturated 14 or 18K Gold tone, with strong iridescent overtones of Pink and maybe some Violet flashes. True Champagne GSS are also fairly rare.

Hope this helps clear up some GSS issues!

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of description I was looking for. I always like to get an idea of what the range of body colors and overtones are and how they are described- and if I had searched a little more thoroughly I would have come across the names and visual examples sooner. Graphics that show a good portion of the range and different combinations of body colors and overtones are always great.

I ended up asking PP to see some more options similar to the top two; in the picture they sent I chose the bottom-most right one- which may or may not be same pearl as the one on the top right in the first photo. Even though the near-round one in the original photo is slightly larger I ended up going with the quirky one in the end! :)

second batch.jpg

Last edited:
Khanzy: I love the way you analyze and scrutinize. Your scientific background is showing itself loud and clear. Keep up the good work. I love these types of discussions. Hurray for Pearl-Guide Peeps! :-D
Cheers.
Linda.

Could there be a bad choice?!!! :)
I am fair, but olive underneath. I wear the lighter or greener GSS pearls. I find with pendants and earrings, the skin matching is much less important, but with a whole strand, GSS pearls just don't do anything for me. I still adore them, though. :) One of the things I'd like to have someday is something from Hisano's little h Silhouette line with the GSS pearls. Funny, but my current favorite has no pearls at all - just the silhouette! http://www.pearlcollective.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HTE30-1-YD

Oddly enough, yes you can choose badly when it comes to GSS; take me for example, my undertones are Irish-Ruddy i.e. RED, yuck. Neutrals, Greens and Bronzes all look absolutely terrible on me. I can't wear 18-24K Golden Tones- it seems like almost all GSS clash with my complexion. The Lemony colors I mentioned- don't even think about it! :( You'd think that my natural color complement would be greenish tones- after all, that's what they recommend to in make up to soothe red tones, but no way Jose, they look awful on me...

I can get away with the Champagne colors, but I think that's because they're warmer and less-saturated than anything else, and even then, it's dicey and depends on what I'm wearing. Sigh...

Khanzy: I love the way you analyze and scrutinize. Your scientific background is showing itself loud and clear. Keep up the good work. I love these types of discussions. Hurray for Pearl-Guide Peeps! :-D
Cheers.
Linda.

Thanks, Linda! My favorite threads are the ones where the process of deliberating over pearls is shared with everyone and full of yummy photos :) That way I can live vicariously through others' pearly conquests, LOL

Could there be a bad choice?!!! :)
I am fair, but olive underneath. I wear the lighter or greener GSS pearls. I find with pendants and earrings, the skin matching is much less important, but with a whole strand, GSS pearls just don't do anything for me. I still adore them, though. :) One of the things I'd like to have someday is something from Hisano's little h Silhouette line with the GSS pearls. Funny, but my current favorite has no pearls at all - just the silhouette! http://www.pearlcollective.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HTE30-1-YD

Her silhouettes are just darling! My fave is the Tahitian Baroque Silhouette necklace.

Updates- new pearl selected

Updates- new pearl selected

There was a bit of a mishap during processing of my first choice pearl, and PP sent me a different pearl that was similar to the one I selected. It was a lemony-gold pearl with good orient, but I wasn't too passionate about the shape. I am getting the sense that I am very sensitive to proportions and symmetry- not roundness in particular, as I love baroques, but symmetry. Customer service was excellent as always and sent me new photos of pearls to pick from, helping me out with the selection for an exchange.

So out of the new set of pearls PP was kind enough to provide (once again in indoor, sunlight, and light box), I deliberated between pearls 7 and 9. According to PP, 7 is a deeper, yellow gold with green overtone, more complex and cooler color compared to 9, which is champagne gold with rose overtone. The surface of the 9 is cleaner and it is slightly larger.

It was difficult to decide because I really love color 'shifts' in pearls. In the end I opted for the lighter and warmer gold after laying out different shades of gold jewelry on my arm, the original lemony-gold pearl I received won me over in its cheery lightness, which I think is the case for pearl 9 and would suit my style better than the dramatic and arresting deeper gold of pearl 7.

I also asked to get the pearl on a 14K box chain instead of the forzatina chain as I prefer the smoother look. Forzatina gets tangled up so easily when it is delicate. I can't wait to receive the necklace in the mail!

IMG_4457 (1).jpg IMG_4460.jpg IMG_4461.jpg

photo 2 (1).jpg

Updating my wardrobe with a new color thanks to GSS pendant

Updating my wardrobe with a new color thanks to GSS pendant

Here is my beloved 9-10mm champagne GSS pendant on box chain from PP! It turned out to be closest in color and brightness to the photo taken in the sunlight, as well as from the PP associate's detailed description. I think while photos have turned out useful for me to select shape, vendors' descriptions of color are more accurate overall than what I might be led to believe about the colors seen in pictures.

While I have worn it with a number of colors, nothing makes this pearl POP as much as this simple red-orange tee. It is the only item of clothing I have in that color, since I find it a little too bright and bold for my usual palette. Now it has become one of my favorite shirts. It displays the pearl so wonderfully - don't we all like to select shirts that fit our pearl jewelry :) - and now I think I have to reconsider my wardrobe and go out of my comfort zone for that particular shade of red-orange!

I would have thought red and gold on my skin would be far too warm but with my hair it sets up an optimal balance. I always thought I was more warm-toned but this and the akoya pearl is making me think I might be cooler or more neutral than I believed. All thanks to this pearl I have discovered something new that works for me!

GSS 1.jpg GSS 2.jpg

GSS 3.jpg GSS 4.jpg

Khanzy, that needs to become your signature color in clothing; the pearl and the shirt look fabulous on you!

Back