Chinese method of stringing keshi seed pearls so that the twisted rope doesn't unwind

I need advice on finding in Hong Kong where I will be in June someone who can restring keshi seed pearls by the special Chinese method into a thick rope of many twisted strands which will not unwind. Originally my Grandmother's rope, which was then divided, it has now been added to it but it needs to be strung in this special way because the rope was worn in the Victorian fashion of just looping one tasseled end over the other (no clasp).

Hong Kong has no pearl market, only a jade market with apparently some pearl sellers in it, but it sounded rather rough on line.

Any ideas?

The jade market won't really do you any good. There are a lot of pearl dealers but mainly just wholesalers in Tsim Sha Tsui (Cameron near Chatham area). I'm not sure if you would find someone there that could immediately help you, however. Few people string in Hong Kong. They always send the pearls back to the mainland to knot them when orders come through.

The word you are looking for is "torsade." It's not ancient Chinese. It can be done easily by anyone who strings pearls. Torsades are generally not knotted, just strung.

pearl comes to Hongkong before take to china, and there is some big auction help in hongkong, like what jeremy said mainly just wholesale

Back