can you tell me if these are real pearls?

Max817

100MEDIA_IMAG1010.jpg100MEDIA_IMAG1009.jpg100MEDIA_IMAG1011.jpgHello

I bought this pearl necklace from CL. Lady told me that it was belong to her grandma. I did tooth test and they dont feel smoth.. I think it is real but not sure.

String was yellow and pearls were kind dirty and clasp were kind black clolor when i got it. so i was trying to clean and it broke. so i restringed myself.

Thanks in advance;);)

You did a great cleanup job and thanks for the white paper towel! I'll have to wait for someone else to look at it, because I am not at all sure what it is.....

You did a great cleanup job and thanks for the white paper towel! I'll have to wait for someone else to look at it, because I am not at all sure what it is.....

Thank you for response. Would bigger pictures help? If so, I can do that.. I am dying to know if it is real or not..

Okay, I took pictures with my nikon. What do you think? Too uniform in the color to be real?? I read somewhere that real pearls are not all same color...11-12-2012 037.jpg11-12-2012 038.jpg11-12-2012 039.jpg

Their uniformity in color, shape and size leads me to suspect that they could be cultured saltwater Akoyas- upon up-close inspection do you see any blemishes of any kind? Small pits or pin pricks, irregular nacre accumulation, lighter or darker areas on or just under the surface? Let us know. If they're totally perfect, then they're probably synthetics- small inclusions are Nature's way of letting us know she made it herself ;) Nice job on the restring btw!

Could be akoyas-- I see some variation in the overtones, which you would not see in imitation pearls.

Yes, I see small pits or pin pricks on the pearls. Now that I looked at really close, they are not all same size either. some of them are slightly bigger than others.

Their uniformity in color, shape and size leads me to suspect that they could be cultured saltwater Akoyas- upon up-close inspection do you see any blemishes of any kind? Small pits or pin pricks, irregular nacre accumulation, lighter or darker areas on or just under the surface?

Let us know. If they're totally perfect, then they're probably synthetics- small inclusions are Nature's way of letting us know she made it herself ;) Nice job on the restring btw!

Thank you . I am proud of myself, too. Since i only spent $40 on necklace and did not want to spend $60 to restring it especially i didnt know for sure it is real pearls or not.

It took 3 tries but i think it came out good.

You spent only $40 on the strand?! It definitely does look like cultured akoyas, with very nice lustre. my, that is really good work! Would you have any idea which year those akoyas were produced? It's probably well before the 70s?

Very good buy, Max817! Congrats :D

Way to go! What a good job, to say nothing of kindred spirit, a Can Do attitude.

Thank you.

The lady that I bought Pearls told me that it is probably 1960s. she really didnt know much about the necklace other than it was her grandmothers.

If they are the 1960s they are likely to be natural colour akoyas then, and they do appear to have a creamy colour. Oh how beautiful! The pearls don't show much wear at all, do they? The pictures aren't really upclose, but they do look new. Such a good deal, I wish I had those akoyas!

Back